Coaching Carousel 2017

jimmykc

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:59 AM, jimmykc said:

Furman's Nico Medved to Drake. Former Miles assistant at CSU.

Niko's Furman squad was definitely on the right trajectory. 

Furman averaged 11.67 wins/year in the 6 years before Niko took over.  In his 4 years with the program (so, a decade in all) they won 9, 11, 19, and now 23 wins (with the possibility of another W on the 29th when they play St. Peter's in the CIT semis.

He is a grad of Minnesota.  Wouldn't be surprised if his plan is to take over at Drake and build recruiting contacts into the Twin Cities area and then take over for Richard Pitino when he gets fired or moves on.

He's taking over a Drake program that, in the last 5 years, has won 16, 15, 9, 7, and 7 games respectively.  If he can reverse that trend and get them to the 16-20 win mark in 4 years or so, he'll be looking to take another major step forward in his coaching career.

The carousel isn't always a fun one, but it's really about how you look at the situations given to you: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/21/tom-crean-indiana-hoosiers-fired

Tom Crean:

“We didn’t fail... we didn’t lose this job because we lost. We didn’t lose this job for bad things. We’re not letting this define us.”

“I love Indiana... I loved it here. That’s not going to change. You can’t go loving something every day for nine years and then suddenly hate it... I hope Indiana wins that national championship. And another one. I really do.”

“A good job, a great job, those all come down to the alignment. Resources are important. Facilities are important. Tradition is important. Fan bases are important. Where can you recruit is important. But alignment is key. That, for me, is what you’re looking for.”

"We’re going to get through it. We’re never going to look at failure being a part of this decision.”

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, AuroranHusker said:

Seem to remember some people here had him on the short list to replace Doc.

I guess he'd now be available if you still want him.

Kinda surprised nobody's  mentioned Lorenzo Romar to Arizona as Associate HC yet.  Kinda mixed feelings about this one.  On one hand he'll probably be able to recruit like crazy to Tucson (not like it's hard to do so in the first place), but on the other, it kind of seems like this is a 1 year pit stop aka Doc Sadler at KU.  Will that hinder his ability to recruit?  Dunno...