Adjustments

1.  Put some combination of Roby/McVeigh/Horne at the 3.  Before White transferred, I had concerns about the depth at Guard.  When White left and Taylor arrived, my reservations heightened.  We were left with 4 players to cover the 1, 2, and oftentimes 3.  While Miles did start the season with McVeigh at the 3, things did not work out as intended with McVeigh and Gill was lost due to injury.  Instead of putting McVeigh back at the 3 or starting Roby/Horne, Miles responded by further depleting the unit by starting Taylor.  Watson and Webster play probaly 80%+ of the minutes over the entire season.  By the end, both of them did not have the energy needed for the big games.  Watson was hurt during the season and was forced to play.  I still remember seeing Webster all beat up at the end of the Iowa double OT game.  A solid 4-5 player rotation at the 1 and 2 would really help.

2.  Empower Roby, Morrow, Watson, and Jacobson.  These guys need to take over this team and lead.  

3.  Establish a firm role for McVeigh and Horne as our designated 3pt guys.  Yes Horne, and at times McVeigh, can offer more, but we need a couple of snipers to open up the floor.  Those two would be best in that role.  Also, both could play the 2, 3, and 4 depending upon match ups.  That would allow Miles to use different personnel but Horne and McVeigh would still have the same primary roles offensively.

4.  For the first time in a very long time, there may be almost too much depth at the 4 and 5.  Jordy, Morrow, Jacobson, and Copeland should all play equal minutes as Morrow and Copeland both have had injury issues and Jordy is still developing.  Jacobson is my favorite player but has his limitations.  If Miles spreads the floor and moves Roby/Horne/McVeigh to the 4, Jacobson should be the last guy playing the 5.  

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Find a way to win a few more games in the Non-Con.  The Big 10... like every year will be a dogfight beast of a conference.  We need to find a way to win 8-10 Non Con games.  

For example... this year if we just flip GW and Clemson, we are 8-4 and then Bam... 11-4 to start conference.  That's a huge confidence booster.

Do what you gotta do to beat Creighton.  This has got to stop! 

There are team and scheme adjustments. There are also individual "adjustments" if you will.

We need depth at guard.  I'm afraid with the kind of injury he had, we might not ever see Anton Gill at full speed again, which would be sad because you could watch him during timeouts hobbling to the huddle with his knee brace on and giving players who were just yanked some encouragement.  Good sign for the kind of character he has, but I'm not sure he'll ever be able to display that leadership on the floor.

So, either Palmer needs to make grades and be the shooter we've heard he is or Nana needs to arrive ready for the big stage.

Second, Isaiah Roby can do so many wonderful things.  He has fantastic length.  He handles the ball pretty well for a guy that size.  His passing is really, really good.  Both he and Horne have some nice spin dribble moves to the hoop.  What Jeriah lacks in athleticism, Isaiah has in spades.  But Jeriah has a shooting stroke that Isaiah can't yet match.  What we need is Jeriah Roby or Isaiah Horne.  I think it's more likely that we see Isaiah learn to shoot than see Jeriah suddenly become an explosive athlete.

So, as far as off-season adjustment, Isaiah needs to spend some quality time with our Director of Player Development and work on that perimeter jumper.  Love to see him make a Glynn-esque jump into the 40s on 3-pt percentage, but I could happily live with mid- to upper-30s.  But he needs to shoot more than 9 per season.  That number has to go way up next year.

Next biggest mover has to be Jordy.  He has to make the kind of strides in the weight room that Ed and Michael made last year.  I want him 280# and a beast.  But he also needs to really work on his game.  I came very early for senior night the other night and watched the drills before the game.  Tai Webster has far better post moves than Jordy does.  Tai, get with your buddy, Jordy, and teach him some post moves.  He needs to get the footwork down and get that head-fake down and learn to go up stronger.  Use that NBA body.  If Jordy develops the way I think he can (and SHOULD) he should double his scoring output next year.  And that alone would increase our assist numbers by 25%.

Would love to see Ed and Michael develop reliable mid-range jumpers they could hit from the elbow or the short corner.  Those are shots you can sometimes find in the gaps in a 2-3 zone, which we'll probably see some of next season.

I think one of our bigger offensive shortcomings this season was we didn't have the ability to force help.  If Jordy became the kind of post scorer I think he can be, we'll be able to force double teams, allowing us maybe some more open shot opportunities on the perimeter.  If our perimeter shooters step up, we could open up more driving lanes.  It's all kind of interconnected and the individual improvements can lead to some team improvements as well.

But the guys have to get on it.

21 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

They'll have opportunities next year with KU, a Big East team and hopefully an ACC team coming into PBA. I don't anticipate any true road games other than Creighton. But yeah, can't get pushed around by the Jays again.

yeah I know this is a death wish here...and I know it's probably never going to happen, but I'd still like to see us get Duke or North Carolina at the PBA as part of the ACC Challenge.  Could you just imagine a schedule with either Duke/North Caroline and Kansas at home???? 

Although I'm guessing it will be someone we have played already in the past contests. 

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

We never had a strength on offense.  We were equally as bad inside the arch as we were outside.  According to T-Rank we finished ranked #313 for 2P% and #310 at 3P%.  In addition to this, our free throw rate was ranked #307 in the country.  If we go into next year thinking "the process" works I'm worried it will be the same on that end of the court.     

So what's your point? We shot the ball like crap this season. Didn't realize that.

My point was that as a team we were better when went inside. I never said we were great at that compared to the rest of country.

The process is for the team to execute the offense and make shots. The process is for the coaches to create a game plan that will put our players in the best position to be successful. Collectively they need to display a high level of mental toughness.

7 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

yeah I know this is a death wish here...and I know it's probably never going to happen, but I'd still like to see us get Duke or North Carolina at the PBA as part of the ACC Challenge.  Could you just imagine a schedule with either Duke/North Caroline and Kansas at home???? 

Although I'm guessing it will be someone we have played already in the past contests. 

I'm guessing NC State or Pitt, maybe Boston College. I'm cool with that. It'll feel like a big game with either NCSU or Pitt, even if they aren't the same caliber as Dook or Carolina.

I'm guessing NC State or Pitt, maybe Boston College. I'm cool with that. It'll feel like a big game with either NCSU or Pitt, even if they aren't the same caliber as Dook or Carolina.

I was thinking more Va Tech or Clemson again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

I was thinking more Va Tech or Clemson again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clemson, maybe, but they're not going to match a sure NCAA Tournament team against one that didn't make any post-season.

And giving it more thought, I'd bet Pitt because they played a home game in the challenge last year. NC State played at Illinois, so they'll probably get a home game. So, yeah, Clemson or Pitt based on standings and who played at home last year.

Edited by jayschool

22 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

I'd love it, too, but for that to happen, we'll need to be perceived as a top team for more than a season. Need to string a few seasons together before we're in the marquee matchup discussion.

9 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Clemson, maybe, but they're not going to match a sure NCAA Tournament team against one that didn't make any post-season.

And giving it more thought, I'd bet Pitt because they played a home game in the challenge last year. NC State played at Illinois, so they'll probably get a home game. So, yeah, Clemson or Pitt based on standings and who played at home last year.

Miles said they're starting a new contract period on this thing and continuing the H/A rotation might not line up as neatly as it has before now. So, projection might be a bit trickier. NC State or Pitt would make a lot of sense to me.

17 hours ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

What needs to happen different schematically next year?  

1.  The perimeter defense. This is a must.  We need to do something different against teams that shoot the 3 well. 

2.  Less ball screens more ball movement. Would love to see us move the ball much more. Inside-outside-reverse-reverse again, get the the rock moving. 

3.  Manufacturer more set plays. Play to strengths of shooters. Put players in position to be effective. 

All points right on. As to #2, after the first Northwestern game, about every team we played sold out to stopping Glynn and Tai from turning the corner on high screen and rolls. This hurt Glynn more than Tai, as Tai was physically able to fight through some of the traffic. It didn't appear to me that we ever really adjusted to this. Seems that Glynn would have benefited from clear-out isolations, which would have alleviated him having to deal with the hedger on every ball screen. It hurt that we didn't have a post guy who could pick and pop, which would have required the hedger to have to play honest on the screener. Perhaps Copeland helps with this. More ball movement and harder cuts would have been nice to see as well. 

As to #3, I have been concerned for several years that we rely too much on having guys make individual plays with the ball, rather than getting opportunities via running sets. We often take too long to get set up and burn too much of the shot clock before running the sets we have. 

Edited by Coaches kid

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

ACC/B1G doesn't necessarily match teams according to their conference standing from the year before though, and we pretty much always play a team 3 or 4 spots ahead of us which I why I mentioned VPI...plus, less marquee name so they can save the more marquee NC State type games for like Ohio State or Illinois or something...

45 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I really can't argue with this. Dirk being Dirk saying 'look Miles, you still have a job, don't get too comfortable.'

I'm completely at a loss as to how to make this team actually be good. So much, to me, seems an issue of their heads.

But look at the list on this thread. It would indicate that we certainly have some issues. That's way too many deficiencies to survive in the B1G.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Miles had a team at CSU that averaged better than 40% from 3?  I don't agree with all the players he said were recruiting misses, and I think he left off one or two.  And I've said many times that the Nebraska high school players we didn't recruit aren't a fair knock on Miles because of a variety of reasons including that Daum, for instance, wasn't projecting to be the kind of player he's turned into.  And neither was Patton until after he committed to Creighton.

But, the shooting part, I definitely agree with: 

>> Make shooting the focus of offseason development. This one’s pretty obvious, isn’t it. 

If Michael Jacobson wants to start, he needs to be a stretch-four. He needs to be capable of making 35-40 percent of his 3s. 

Same thing for the three-headed shooting guard of Gill, Palmer and Evan Taylor. No longer can Nebraska allow defenses to sag off its shooting guard. That’s inexcusable. 

And also the part about tempo.  And pressing.  As MichHusker said somewhere else, heck, running some 3/4 court press to force the other team to burn clock so they don't have as much time to set up in the half court to kill us with wide-open threes is worth exploring.

2 hours ago, tcp said:

I'm completely at a loss as to how to make this team actually be good. So much, to me, seems an issue of their heads.

But look at the list on this thread. It would indicate that we certainly have some issues. That's way too many deficiencies to survive in the B1G.

Well, you never know. 

I'm not sure Miles has felt much outside media/fan pressure until now; Barry and Doc - even Nee, after the player walkout - had it tougher than Miles has to this point.

Sometimes necessity is a catalyst. 

5 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Wasn't Dirk the one that said UNO players would start for Nebraska last year?  So, we are suppose to take his talent evaluation over Miles'?  Morrow avg. 9.4 and 7.5 in 23 MPG.  How can you call him unimportant to the success of this team going forward.

1.  Defense, defense, defense, defense.  We have to get rotations down, we have to defend the pick and roll, we have to defend the paint.  Switch up defenses, run some zone, some presses, some man to man.  We went to the NCAA tournament because we defended teams.

2.  Need to work the ball inside.  Someone inside needs to touch the ball every trip down the court.  We played a game earlier, where we worked the ball inside before either scoring or kicking out for an open look.  I think it was Purdue.

3.  Watson needs to watch film after film of Walton, from Michigan.  He has the ability to be that good of a player.

24 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Wasn't Dirk the one that said UNO players would start for Nebraska last year?  So, we are suppose to take his talent evaluation over Miles'?  Morrow avg. 9.4 and 7.5 in 23 MPG.  How can you call him unimportant to the success of this team going forward.

I don't recall him saying they'd start. He may have, but that's not how I remember it.

Where did he call Morrow unimportant to NU's success?

Edited by uneblinstu