Adjustments

What needs to happen different schematically next year?  

1.  The perimeter defense. This is a must.  We need to do something different against teams that shoot the 3 well. 

2.  Less ball screens more ball movement. Would love to see us move the ball much more. Inside-outside-reverse-reverse again, get the the rock moving. 

3.  Manufacturer more set plays. Play to strengths of shooters. Put players in position to be effective. 

Our strength on offense is getting the ball in the paint either through dribble drive or to the post.

We are an average at best perimeter shooting team. I'd like to see an offense that allows Ed to play his natural position of the 4 and Jordy on the inside with Michael coming off the bench. I hope that Roby improbes enough to play the 3. At 2 either Gill or Taylor and Glynn at the point.

Use analytic metrics to figure out what you should be doing.  Taking a lot of open three and getting shooters that can make them is the best way, while  preventing the other team from doing the exact same thing.  Instead we did the exact opposite and that is the main reason we finished 2nd to last in regular season and last in the tournament.  Coaches are doing it all wrong at this time.  You don't want to take long two's and you want to funnel long 2's to be what your opposition has to take. 

Edited by royalfan

I think it is mostly about the guys in the corner needing to be able to hit the deep ball when they get the kick. You could spot Evan Taylor in the corner most nights and nobody would need to guard him. Same with Roby, frankly.  

And, speaking of Roby, can I just say that he needs to get his left hand a little further forward on the ball so that his left elbow doesn't flare out so much when he shoots?  Study film of guys who shoot really well and what you'll see is mostly a lot of compact shooting strokes where the off elbow does not flare out to the side. 

I'd be curious to know how much of an impact Coach Lewis had on the offensive end.  He was the guy at Butler on the offensive end but we sure did not look a whole lot different on that end this year.  Hand him the keys to the offense net year.  If Molinari is still around I'd like to see Coach Miles concentrate on the defensive end of the floor, I have seen enough wide open threes to last a lifetime.  We need to get back to GATA ball if we want to dance next year. 

12 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Our strength on offense is getting the ball in the paint either through dribble drive or to the post.

We are an average at best perimeter shooting team. I'd like to see an offense that allows Ed to play his natural position of the 4 and Jordy on the inside with Michael coming off the bench. I hope that Roby improbes enough to play the 3. At 2 either Gill or Taylor and Glynn at the point.

We never had a strength on offense.  We were equally as bad inside the arch as we were outside.  According to T-Rank we finished ranked #313 for 2P% and #310 at 3P%.  In addition to this, our free throw rate was ranked #307 in the country.  If we go into next year thinking "the process" works I'm worried it will be the same on that end of the court.     

26 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

We never had a strength on offense.

Our strength was rebounding all those bunnies and being average about not turning the ball over. FTR is a huge concern for a team that wasn't shooting well.  You can get away with that if you're Michigan. A bad shooting team that can't get to the FT line is.....not going to the NCAA tournament.

12 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I thought that Michigan does a good job of getting guys open off of picks.  They also could then shoot or drive because someties nobody was there to stop them.

Agree, watching the game yesterday our big guys would set a pick, the dribble would use it and then either the big took a horrible route to basket or someone else ran to that spot.  Our spacing was awful.

As far as adjustments

I hope Roby, Horne, Watson and McVeigh spend any free time they have in the gym working on their outside shot.

I hope Jordy, Ed and Jake work on shots around the basket and not putting the ball on the floor once they catch it.

Hope the big guys also work on catching it and kicking it back out once in a while

Perimeter defense just has to improve

It was pointed out once yesterday how easy PSU big guy had it rolling to the lane due to lack of help defense, we need to work on help defense (the old see man see ball and be one pass away to help.

Lots of positives to look forward to IF everyone stays this off season (including no self imposed recruiting sanctions).  Tweek a few things and next year could be fun!

31 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I'd like to see Coach Miles concentrate on the defensive end of the floor,

If we're planing on keeping with a pack style defense, what are the other teams who run that style doing that we're not. Is it scheme, personnel, or both?

One silver lining was that we put people on the FT line at the lowest rate of any team Miles has put on a court.  Was that buy design or was that just a byproduct or fluke?

6 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

If we're planing on keeping with a pack style defense, what are the other teams who run that style doing that we're not. Is it scheme, personnel, or both?

One silver lining was that we put people on the FT line at the lowest rate of any team Miles has put on a court.  Was that buy design or was that just a byproduct or fluke?

That's a good question, I probably don't watch enough of other teams to have a good pulse of what they do better/differently than us  Is it kosher for coaches to meet during the offseason to discuss X's and O's like it is in College Football? If so, if I'm Molinari and Miles I'm meeting with Tony Bennett the first chance I can get.  With Copeland and Palmer next year, length should not be an issue. 

What needs to happen different schematically next year?  

1.  The perimeter defense. This is a must.  We need to do something different against teams that shoot the 3 well. 

2.  Less ball screens more ball movement. Would love to see us move the ball much more. Inside-outside-reverse-reverse again, get the the rock moving. 

3.  Manufacturer more set plays. Play to strengths of shooters. Put players in position to be effective. 

So basically we just need to improve offense and defense. I would include free throws.

Transition game was okay

Find a way to win a few more games in the Non-Con.  The Big 10... like every year will be a dogfight beast of a conference.  We need to find a way to win 8-10 Non Con games.  

For example... this year if we just flip GW and Clemson, we are 8-4 and then Bam... 11-4 to start conference.  That's a huge confidence booster.

23 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Interesting, especially since we finally had a center worthy of logging big minutes, yet he was a fouling machine for much of the year.

I feel like Roby could be a hell of a pick and roll option with the ball in his hands.  He has such a high ceiling as a passer, and he's tall enough to finish at the rim/dump passes down to bigs over defenders.  This could work both ways defensively if you roll out a team of 6'6" guys who can switch on everything--that's the real key to guarding the three ball.  If you put a lineup of, say:

Roby (6'8")

Palmer (6'6")

Akenten (6'6")

Copeland (6'9")

Morrow (6'8")

...you could literally switch on everything defensively and completely take away the 3 ball, and this lineup would still have some offense, and this lineup would still be very good in transition.  

19 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Interesting, especially since we finally had a center worthy of logging big minutes, yet he was a fouling machine for much of the year.

The foul issue got better as the year went on and he will learn and improve to avoid the silly fouls!  (I hope)