Miles will be here for 2017-18

hhcmatt

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Did we have some non-Mid Major flavor of the year lined up? I like Miles but I'm not married to the guy and would be real interested. If not, what is the rush to hire Yet Another Mid Major guy?  If Miles isn't the guy who can put this core of players together into a winner then you can just hire Mid Major guy the year after. The guys that stick around for 2017-18 are going to be here for 2018-19. Considering what we have built and what I've seen happen to our football and WBB teams in year one of a new coach the smart play is to see if Miles can do here

...and this is where I've been all along as well.  Why #BurnItDown when you have that young core just starting to become upperclassmen.  You can ALWAYS #BurnItDown, there's ALWAYS a hot mid-major guy out there just itching to take the Husker job (as long as we open the checkbook :rolleyes:), so what's the rush.  Why chop down the tree just when it looks like it might start bearing fruit?

Edited by 49r

11 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Did we have some non-Mid Major flavor of the year lined up? I like Miles but I'm not married to the guy and would be real interested. If not, what is the rush to hire Yet Another Mid Major guy?  If Miles isn't the guy who can put this core of players together into a winner then you can just hire Mid Major guy the year after. 

That's my view, but I won't look ahead to 18-19. The core will be juniors next year. If we don't make the NCAA, then that means AT BEST we'll get one tournament team out of this heralded recruiting class. If that's the case, then clearly the coaching is an issue. An NIT team next year with a strong finish doesn't cut it. 

And to echo others, I appreciate the general positivity of the site. Sure, views here vary but it's not just a continual bitchfest. Very upbeat considering the season we just suffered through.

28 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I for one have enough bitchfestifness going on in my real life that if this site became one I might just jump from my seats after a bad call during a game.

;)

Wouldn't it be easier to just walk over to Longwells or one of the other places with adult beverages and enjoy one of those?

14 hours ago, hhcscott said:

So I have come down from.peak disappoinment and agree with something Dimes said about Tai and Shavon (and by association, Terran, and Aleks, and Ade, and Ryan Anderson, and Brandon Ubel) 

We keep having A SENIOR that would have really benefitted from a cohort, a pack, a crew, a mob, whatever the relevant word is, of talented peers who came up together and grew and leaned on each other and built a team with their class, and a class younger (think King/Reid/Scales, Hayes/Owens, Chubick/Piatkowski, Strickland/Boone) I think the Sophs and Frosh this year could build that, could stick and persevere and be the foundation for the future. 

Dammit Here we go again. 

One other thought:

We are a school that has committed money to basketball. We've got the facilities built and we've put money towards coaches and towards the program.  We're probably willing to put forward more.  Some people wield this as evidence that we should be entitled to win. I see it as reassurance that we are not destined to always lose. We are among the schools with the resources that allow us to make changes that others cannot.

If you look at where we are big picture it seems pretty certain that either Miles will make it and it was the right decision or Miles won't make it and we will start over. We can and will quibble over what "making it" means but to me 16-18 isn't making it. Not going to the post season isn't making it.

There is a resolution in this decision and I oddly find it stabilizing. I think stabilization would be good for this program as well and hope that we find it this next season.

11 minutes ago, jdw said:

There are 997 members of this board if you're offering free beer that could be one hell of a bar tab.

lol true, but guessing they won't all be there at once and if need be I will sneak in incognito! And looking at my spelling in the original post, it appears I drank lunch.

Edited by colhusker