Miles will be here for 2017-18

hhcmatt

Just now, TimSmiles said:

his issues are more than just a slump. not a good defender and a bad rebounder. jack's going to have to get a lot better or will lose a lot of playing time to roby/copeland/nana.

Yep.  

I'd like everyone save Fuller to come back, but mcveigh would be next on my list.   Doesn't offer a lot of the intangibles and is way to inconsistent at his 'specialty'

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

He's has multiple bad stretches each year.   

He had a good stretch, but that hasnt been the norm.   He's been bad far more then he's been good.   He was 15-49 since February.   It's more than just that one stretch  

Does the absence of Tai change Glynn's game at all? Idk if being PG 1A and PG 2A messes with his game. Someone with a higher basketball knowledge could probably tell me.

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

Does the absence of Tai change Glynn's game at all? Idk if being PG 1A and PG 2A messes with his game. Someone with a higher basketball knowledge could probably tell me.

I think it could.   I said it before too, having guys who can catch and shoot consistently would change people's impressions as well.  Hard to get assists when guys brick everything 

16 minutes ago, KZRider said:

I believe it was Dimes who observed -- please correct me if I am misrepresenting you, Dimes -- that if Miles is NOT given an extension AND the Huskers make the NCAA tourney, that success may lead to a lot of interest in Miles' from other schools. That makes quite a bit of sense. IF he takes us from where we are now to an NCAA bid, he is likely the B1G coach of the year again and a LOT of programs will come knocking. Whether SE gives Miles an extension may tell us a lot about whether SE really BELIEVES in Miles or not. If he thinks Miles will get it done next year, he should give him the extension to establish a pricey buyout that makes it less painful financially for Miles to leave. If he does not, then no extension will make a firing after next season less expensive. This could be interesting to watch.

You might be over thinking this.  If SE believes Miles is the right man for this program, he extends his contract tomorrow.  If his contract isn't extended, recruiting for 2019 and beyond is over.  Screw the finances, the athletic department has the money. 

1 minute ago, cipsucks said:

You might be over thinking this.  If SE believes Miles is the right man for this program, he extends his contract tomorrow.  If his contract isn't extended, recruiting for 2019 and beyond is over.  Screw the finances, the athletic department has the money. 

Yep

I think this was the right move.  All of the cards have been laid on the table for a 2017-2018 run - we saw glimpses of what could be at moments this year, we also saw glimpses of youth, inconsistency, and the psyche of a young team when things begin to unravel.   If the core of the group were Juniors and Seniors, I'd be worried... but we were playing frosh and sophs or first year players out there most of the time, with a Sr. in Tai.   Miles recruited these guys (2017-2018 junior class) 3 to 4 years ago on a long term plan, not a short term plan.... we are coming to that culmination of the long term plan - we took our lumps getting them experience as we had no depth to ease them in.  Tai made a big jump between his Soph and Jr. seasons, now instead of just 1 in the season, we'll have 4 or 5 making that jump.

43 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Lee said "second hand sources" and that he had no direct confirmation; take that with a grain of salt.

As far as the tweet after the game, why not look like you were in control of the situation the entire time?

Lee isn't some internet blogger.  He works for the largest newspaper in the state.  I'm guessing he had to be pretty confident in those sources to put names out there.

3 hours ago, hhcscott said:

I'm glad for Tim. I want him to succeed, but, I'm really finding it hard to care. The team stopped showing heart, effort, basic skill weeks ago. I don't think firing the coach fixes it, but neither does keeping the coach. I wanted Barry, and Doc to succeed too but each firing and hiring made zero difference. We might as well hire Bill Murray for our little Groundhog's Day. 

I've been a passionate and loyal fan since the Jack Moore era, and have been on this amazing forum since the early days with Dave, but nothing changes. Dimes has made the forum incredible, still not winning. PBA and the practice facility, still no conference titles. Succession of coaches and assistants, no tournament wins, heck not even on the bubble. How many would kill for a nice NIT run in the last decade?

I wish I had answers. I wish I could teach three-point defense or get B1G refs who called fouls the same way at both ends, but all I've got is this terrible sense that I've been down this road too many times. Have a great offseason long suffering Husker Hoops Fans. Rebuild your stamina because next year is going to be more of the same.

First off, thanks for the kind words. I probably post on here wayyyyyy to the point I'm overbearing but it's typically because I care.

The hope I see in all of this is Shavon Shields and Tai Webster.  We''ve propped them up with transfers but it's been those guys who put in 4 years that have really made an impact. What I see is that instead of having just one of those guys as a junior/senior we're looking at a core of those guys who are currently sophomores and freshmen. What can we do if we finally have a stable core of players who started here as freshmen? As someone pointed out, this isn't some roster devoid of hope that we're going to fill with JUCOs.

Did we have some non-Mid Major flavor of the year lined up? I like Miles but I'm not married to the guy and would be real interested. If not, what is the rush to hire Yet Another Mid Major guy?  If Miles isn't the guy who can put this core of players together into a winner then you can just hire Mid Major guy the year after. The guys that stick around for 2017-18 are going to be here for 2018-19. Considering what we have built and what I've seen happen to our football and WBB teams in year one of a new coach the smart play is to see if Miles can do here

8 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

Lee isn't some internet blogger.  He works for the largest newspaper in the state.  I'm guessing he had to be pretty confident in those sources to put names out there.

That's no knock on Lee; he's a pro's pro. That's me adding some context to what you added on here.  These are two reliable sources; he doesn't have direct confirmation. If he heard that from a first hand source or had confirmation from the other side it would have been in a column yesterday.

Mangok Mathiang's name showed up in LJS last year. How real was that ever?

52 minutes ago, KZRider said:

I believe it was Dimes who observed -- please correct me if I am misrepresenting you, Dimes -- that if Miles is NOT given an extension AND the Huskers make the NCAA tourney, that success may lead to a lot of interest in Miles' from other schools

I mentioned something I heard from McKewon on a podcast he was on: If we're extending Miles we slap a huge buyout on the extension so that he can't just bolt should he end up winning next year. I think that buyout is $500k ATM.

17 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I mentioned something I heard from McKewon on a podcast he was on: If we're extending Miles we slap a huge buyout on the extension so that he can't just bolt should he end up winning next year. I think that buyout is $500k ATM.

I get the feeling that Miles and Eichorst get along and want each other to be successful. Maybe I'm off base, but it seems like they have a better relationship than we think. If Miles has a good year next year I don't see him as the type to bounce, I think he see's the thing through whether it ends with him fired or as a hero. 

3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

If he's here for year 7 that would be the longest he's been anywhere 

Think it's going to take an unrealistically favorable year to get attention from schools that would be deemed better jobs.   Tough to see him leaving for year 7 voluntarily 

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Think it's going to take an unrealistically favorable year to get attention from schools that would be deemed better jobs.   Tough to see him leaving for year 7 voluntarily 

Would you say Virginia Tech is a better job than Marquette? You don't always have to "go up"

2 hours ago, KZRider said:

I believe it was Dimes who observed -- please correct me if I am misrepresenting you, Dimes -- that if Miles is NOT given an extension AND the Huskers make the NCAA tourney, that success may lead to a lot of interest in Miles' from other schools. That makes quite a bit of sense. IF he takes us from where we are now to an NCAA bid, he is likely the B1G coach of the year again and a LOT of programs will come knocking. Whether SE gives Miles an extension may tell us a lot about whether SE really BELIEVES in Miles or not. If he thinks Miles will get it done next year, he should give him the extension to establish a pricey buyout that makes it less painful financially for Miles to leave. If he does not, then no extension will make a firing after next season less expensive. This could be interesting to watch.

I disagree.  If you said no to an extension,  after a 16 - 18 season, there is no way you give him one after a 12 - 19 season.   If you are worried about him leaving, would you leave if a bunch of players from an NCAA tournament team are coming back for their junior or senior seasons?  That's when you extend him, give him a good pay bump, and put the buyout in, so that after Glynn, Ed, MJ, and Jack leave, he doesn't follow them.

I am extremely excited! I love Miles, and I want to see him be the guy to take us to the promised land. He does such a great job promoting the program. You can tell he loves it here and wants to be the guy to take us to new heights. I was very worried over the last week or so that he was done. Here's to hoping we can take the amazing talent we have on paper and turn them into a winning machine! Also, I don't have positive things to say about SE often, but he really handled this well. Kudos to him for communicating to Miles this week the plans going forward, as well as making it public right away after the game.

So I have come down from.peak disappoinment and agree with something Dimes said about Tai and Shavon (and by association, Terran, and Aleks, and Ade, and Ryan Anderson, and Brandon Ubel) 

We keep having A SENIOR that would have really benefitted from a cohort, a pack, a crew, a mob, whatever the relevant word is, of talented peers who came up together and grew and leaned on each other and built a team with their class, and a class younger (think King/Reid/Scales, Hayes/Owens, Chubick/Piatkowski, Strickland/Boone) I think the Sophs and Frosh this year could build that, could stick and persevere and be the foundation for the future. 

Dammit Here we go again. 

1 hour ago, hhcscott said:

So I have come down from.peak disappoinment and agree with something Dimes said about Tai and Shavon (and by association, Terran, and Aleks, and Ade, and Ryan Anderson, and Brandon Ubel) 

We keep having A SENIOR that would have really benefitted from a cohort, a pack, a crew, a mob, whatever the relevant word is, of talented peers who came up together and grew and leaned on each other and built a team with their class, and a class younger (think King/Reid/Scales, Hayes/Owens, Chubick/Piatkowski, Strickland/Boone) I think the Sophs and Frosh this year could build that, could stick and persevere and be the foundation for the future. 

Dammit Here we go again. 

Haha... awesome.  I agree though.  The talent TM has brought in should be allowed to be coached at least one year at the upperclassmen level.  It's pretty undeniable that every freshman from last year became better this year by quite a bit save, maybe, Jack during his slump.  If we see that same jump (or a bigger jump a la Tai) in this next season among all of the sophomores and freshmen, that's the difference in several close losses we had this year.  The addition of Copeland--a much more conventional scorer than Tai--and Akenten--who shoots 50% from 3 in addition to having crazy elevation to get his shot--are going to fit nicely, I think.  I'm optimistic that the talent alone on next year's roster will overwhelm many teams we face.  Hopefully Miles will improve as a strategist and motivator.