Miles will be here for 2017-18

hhcmatt

3 minutes ago, extremehoops said:

All we heard this past season is the team is young and we need to give Miles time to get us there.  Young Teams?  So is most of the Bigten teams for next year !!!!

I just dont see how we are going to make it up into the upper half of the Bigten next year when every team is playing young except for Wisconsin and Michigan.

Most of the teams have only 1 or 2 seniors leaving

Penn St that just beat us has no seniors

Rutgers players are all young

Ohio St has 1 senior

Indiana has one senior that may get a medical redshirt in Hartman

Purdue team is very young

Northwestern most productive guys are underclassman

The majority of the league from top to bottom is not Junior and Senior strong this year.

I just dont see how keeping Miles will get us over the hump.  We have been regressing over the season and players look disinterested in what Miles is selling them.

So what is your point? You disappointed TM is coming back? You think we are lacking in negativity surrounding our program?

Miles and his coaches will know that no NCAA tourney next year means they are all gone. Pressure, yes but they bring home big checks too. This is a much better scenario than hiring someone this year who would have to perform using the players Tim recruited and with half of the (small) fan base thinking the old coach was kicked out too soon. This happened with Solich and look how that turned out. Almost everyone will agree that either deliver or go next year is inevitable. Hopefully it will be deliver.

13 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Miles and his coaches will know that no NCAA tourney next year means they are all gone. Pressure, yes but they bring home big checks too. This is a much better scenario than hiring someone this year who would have to perform using the players Tim recruited and with half of the (small) fan base thinking the old coach was kicked out too soon. This happened with Solich and look how that turned out. Almost everyone will agree that either deliver or go next year is inevitable. Hopefully it will be deliver.

i agree it's similar to solich. you're better off keeping the old coach a year too long than firing him a year too early.

I, like most people on this board, have the "NCAA tourney or bust" mentality for next year. However, let's say we finish as a serious bubble team that just gets left out and ends up as a 1 or 2 seed in NIT. In that NIT we play well and get to the championship series. Would you still want this staff gone? 

41 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

They had Molinari on for the post game show. He was really excited that the staff would be back for next year. For those wanted any staff shake-ups, I wouldn't hold you breath. This staff is hitched to the same wagon. 

I'm sure Mark Banker was excited for next season, too. But you're probably right.

Ncaa or bust might be a bit to much, injury or schedule may change that some.  I will take a high seat in the NIT and a long run, if we are at least talked about for some of the season and am one of those last or next four out.

I hope we can win those last possessions that we didn't this year.

Also hope that the schedule is a bit easier, and for the sake of this fan base no winter break loss to a questionable team this year.

Although Gardner-Webb finished 4th in the Big South with a 19-14 recored.  And got bet in the semi finals of their tournment in OT to League Champion Winthrop.  Might be playing in the post season. So... 

I think we have a good staff. I don't think we need any staff turnover. What I think we need is staff stability and no turnover. This would be the first season in how many where there was no staff turnover if that turns out to be the case?  

I don't think you guys are right about Mo and I think Michael Lewis was a real coup to steal him away from Butler.   Give this staff some stability and you might see some completely different things next year. Just give it a chance.   Next year is the year where they fish or cut bait. 

Edited by Norm Peterson

In Lee's article he said that their sources said Eichorst reached out indirectly to Tom Crean and Eric Musselman.  I'm guessing this is why the tweet directly after the game, like some have speculated that he didn't think he could get his top choices, which may have led to Eichorst keeping Miles.

47 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

I, like most people on this board, have the "NCAA tourney or bust" mentality for next year. However, let's say we finish as a serious bubble team that just gets left out and ends up as a 1 or 2 seed in NIT. In that NIT we play well and get to the championship series. Would you still want this staff gone? 

that would be enough improvement to bring miles back IMO.

Edited by TimSmiles

2 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

In Lee's article he said that their sources said Eichorst reached out indirectly to Tom Crean and Eric Musselman.  I'm guessing this is why the tweet directly after the game, like some have speculated that he didn't think he could get his top choices, which may have led to Eichorst keeping Miles.

While I can't say this wrong - because I have NO idea if it is right or not -- LB's sources when it comes to Nebrasketball have often been incorrect. In fact, I believe is nose is still bent out of joint because no one let him in on Tim Miles' hiring when that happened and the LJS scooped the OWH on the story. Just saying LB is as likely to be pushing an agenda here as he is reporting a story.

1 hour ago, extremehoops said:

All we heard this past season is the team is young and we need to give Miles time to get us there.  Young Teams?  So is most of the Bigten teams for next year !!!!

I just dont see how we are going to make it up into the upper half of the Bigten next year when every team is playing young except for Wisconsin and Michigan.

Most of the teams have only 1 or 2 seniors leaving

Penn St that just beat us has no seniors

Rutgers players are all young

Ohio St has 1 senior

Indiana has one senior that may get a medical redshirt in Hartman

Purdue team is very young

Northwestern most productive guys are underclassman

The majority of the league from top to bottom is not Junior and Senior strong this year.

I just dont see how keeping Miles will get us over the hump.  We have been regressing over the season and players look disinterested in what Miles is selling them.

Don't look at it that way. Look at it more like chess pieces.  I didn't think it was going to be this acute,  but we lacked for shooters this year. Glynn  obviously improved his perimeter shooting percentages significantly, but Tai  wound up being somewhat of a disappointment this year, as did Jack. 

Despite what you think, we are still moving around some chess pieces and one of our pawns next year will become a queen.  ( I mean a queen like in chess, not  like a guy in drag.)

And, hey, if it doesn't work, what is one more year? The business model of changing coaches every five or six years hasn't exactly paid a lot of dividends, now has it? 

10 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

Lee said "second hand sources" and that he had no direct confirmation; take that with a grain of salt.

As far as the tweet after the game, why not look like you were in control of the situation the entire time?

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is the right move. Pressure creates diamonds right? Miles, Glynn Ed and MJ all seem like fighters to me. Ill admit I was mad after the game and was looking forward to a change of scenery. But after a couple beers, I'll choose to believe that the last 5 turds of basketball games have lit a fire under their ass. 

53 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

I believe it was Dimes who observed -- please correct me if I am misrepresenting you, Dimes -- that if Miles is NOT given an extension AND the Huskers make the NCAA tourney, that success may lead to a lot of interest in Miles' from other schools. That makes quite a bit of sense. IF he takes us from where we are now to an NCAA bid, he is likely the B1G coach of the year again and a LOT of programs will come knocking. Whether SE gives Miles an extension may tell us a lot about whether SE really BELIEVES in Miles or not. If he thinks Miles will get it done next year, he should give him the extension to establish a pricey buyout that makes it less painful financially for Miles to leave. If he does not, then no extension will make a firing after next season less expensive. This could be interesting to watch.

7 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Slump as in career to date?

Nope, that stretch from Dayton to Iowa. He figures out how to eliminate that and he'd be about 40% from 3. That's also where Glynn ended up for the season after really struggling last year. I think that's close to where Horne can be, too.

Until this week, he was shooting a higher percentage this year than he did last year with the slump included. Just needs a little more consistency and he'll be just fine.

Edited by uneblinstu

I did not want to retain Miles. However, the decision has been made and I am 100% rooting for him. No need to rehash, go negative, or divide into factions. That's what a large chunk of our football fans do and us NU hoops fans are better than that. Let's get it done next year. 

Edited by Busch Light

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

Nope, that 9 game stretch from Dayton to Iowa. He figures out how to eliminate that and he'd be about 40% from 3. That's also where Glynn ended up for the season after really struggling last year. I think that's close to where Horne can be, too.

More than just that 9 game stretch 

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

Yeah, I counted wrong, either way, that stretch where he was out of the lineup, he needs to eliminate that and he'll be an asset. He was one, once he returned to the rotation.

He's has multiple bad stretches each year.   

He had a good stretch, but that hasnt been the norm.   He's been bad far more then he's been good.   He was 15-49 since February.   It's more than just that one stretch  

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

He's has multiple bad stretches each year.   

He had a good stretch, but that hasnt been the norm.   He's been bad far more then he's been good.   He was 15-49 since February.   It's more than just that one stretch  

If that's the worst stretch he has next year, sign me up. Just can't have the 8/40 he had in December.