Miles will be here for 2017-18

hhcmatt

miles did the unthinkable and got us to the tourney in year 2. i really think he's caught some bad luck recently with petteway, white, pitchford all bailing a year early.

there's clearly some good talent on the roster, and we have the first ever 5 star player joining the team next year along with a couple top 150 guys in palmer/nana.

i didn't see the rush in letting miles go. he's done a lot more than the previous 2 coaches.

next year should be a much more experienced team with nana likely to be the only true freshman.

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

Two questions that still need answers:

1. Will Miles get an extension, or will Eichorst make him try to recruit with a lame duck contract?

2. Will the young nucleus of players still be on the roster next year?

1.  I say Miles doesn't get an extension.  You set it pretty clear what your expectations are to get another year.  When you have a worse record the next year, you can't say you get an extension.

2.  I really hope so.  All of them, showed flashes of what they could be.  I thought Roby played his 2 best games against Michigan and Penn State.  Jordy played very well in conference.  Horne showed flashes.  MJ, Ed, Glynn, etc all showed what they can do. 

I'm glad for Tim. I want him to succeed, but, I'm really finding it hard to care. The team stopped showing heart, effort, basic skill weeks ago. I don't think firing the coach fixes it, but neither does keeping the coach. I wanted Barry, and Doc to succeed too but each firing and hiring made zero difference. We might as well hire Bill Murray for our little Groundhog's Day. 

I've been a passionate and loyal fan since the Jack Moore era, and have been on this amazing forum since the early days with Dave, but nothing changes. Dimes has made the forum incredible, still not winning. PBA and the practice facility, still no conference titles. Succession of coaches and assistants, no tournament wins, heck not even on the bubble. How many would kill for a nice NIT run in the last decade?

I wish I had answers. I wish I could teach three-point defense or get B1G refs who called fouls the same way at both ends, but all I've got is this terrible sense that I've been down this road too many times. Have a great offseason long suffering Husker Hoops Fans. Rebuild your stamina because next year is going to be more of the same.

Just now, cipsucks said:

Until there's a contract extension, I'm not sure Miles is back.  He can take another job in the next couple weeks and not have the stigma of being fired.  Not predicting that, just saying it's a possibility.  Whatever happens, GBR!

An amicable no-fault divorce may be best for everyone.

4 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Until there's a contract extension, I'm not sure Miles is back.  He can take another job in the next couple weeks and not have the stigma of being fired.  Not predicting that, just saying it's a possibility.  Whatever happens, GBR!

he's not leaving. he basically pleaded with eichorst to keep him.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Also, look for a few more cupcakes in next year's non-con?

People discuss being the Minnesota of next year, I think part of the reason Minnesota was about to make a jump, is they had a middle of the road non-con. Let the guys win some games and gain a little confidence. Seeing some shots go in and a couple of 80s in the boxscores can go a long way.

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

People discuss being the Minnesota of next year, I think part of the reason Minnesota was about to make a jump, is they had a middle of the road non-con. Let the guys win some games and gain a little confidence. Seeing some shots go in and a couple of 80s in the boxscores can go a long way.

FWIW, Minnesota's non con SOS on KenPom was #197.  With what we already have on the slate we'll be way above that.

Northwestern's, BTW was #242.

All we heard this past season is the team is young and we need to give Miles time to get us there.  Young Teams?  So is most of the Bigten teams for next year !!!!

I just dont see how we are going to make it up into the upper half of the Bigten next year when every team is playing young except for Wisconsin and Michigan.

Most of the teams have only 1 or 2 seniors leaving

Penn St that just beat us has no seniors

Rutgers players are all young

Ohio St has 1 senior

Indiana has one senior that may get a medical redshirt in Hartman

Purdue team is very young

Northwestern most productive guys are underclassman

The majority of the league from top to bottom is not Junior and Senior strong this year.

I just dont see how keeping Miles will get us over the hump.  We have been regressing over the season and players look disinterested in what Miles is selling them.

The difference between now and the end of the Collier and Sadler years is that we actually have some talent and a bit of depth.

We need a couple of guys on this team to step up and become leaders. I think Michael will be one of them. I think Glynn needs to be the other.

We have 4 scholarship Sr.'s on the team next year but maybe only one of them will start, perhaps Gill and there could be a case for an extra year due to losing him for the majority the season. 

Tim needs to find an upgrade at assistant coach. Someone who can compliment him the way Smith did.