Watching a game with something on the line is stressful

5 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

You can't assume that we will have more defectors transitioning under a new coach than we would by retaining Miles.  Or I guess you could assume that, it just wouldn't be based on anything other than your gut.  Here's a list of scholarship players that left with eligibility remaining during the Tim Miles era, with contributing players (meaning starters or first couple off the bench) in bold.

2016:

AWIII

Hammond

Evelyn

2015:

Petteway

Pitchford

Tarin Smith

2014:

Hawkins

Vucetic

2013:

Biggs

2012 (transition year after Doc's firing):

Brian Diaz

Josiah Moore

Corey Hilliard

Chris Niemann

So yeah, we did lose JBD when transitioning from Doc to Miles.  But you should expect to lose a couple of players regardless of if Miles is retained.  And with only one exception, we have lost key players every year, not just the "normal" attrition of guys getting drafted in the NBA (none), or they're buried on the depth chart (Hawk, Vuc, etc), or they have a career ending injury (Niemann).  The only season we kept the band together was in '14, and it's not too hard to figure out why.  We were actually good that year.  That's clearly not the case now, so I'm not sure how you can assume we won't lose some combination of Roby, Watson, Jordy, Horne, etc. 

When you look at Doc's and Barry's roster when they were fired, none of those players at the time had better options. Of all the players that TM lost there were only 2 that were potential game changes and 1 was bordeline(Diaz). Diaz was a part of the transition; Petteway was a family issue as he felt he needed to go pro, and AWIII it turned out was completely self serving. I'll throw in Biggs as a soft #4 but his departure was directed by the AD. As much as I don't like to lose players it is common in CBB for non contributing scholarship players to transfer. Looking back would you want to have any of them back other than 3 I mentioned?

Do you think any of the guys on our current roster have better options? While we would like be believe that players commit to DONU because we are just so darn special and great, that is not the case. They commit to the coaches mostly with the rare exceptions of a guy like Sheilds or other home state kid who wants to stay close to home and has grown up a Husker fan.

I think we could lose any combination of Watson, Morrow, Jordy T, Roby as they all would have better options. Also could lose Nana.

That would be devastating to our program. So long as you have athletes you have a chance. Athletes, especially in basketball, can cover up mediocre coaching.

Fundamentally sound can only take you so far. A one game scenario all bets are off but to win multiple games you need to have athletes. Eventually size and speed wins out over the long haul.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

If this is the thread about lusting after UNO's talent I spent my time last night wishing that Trev Alberts was eating a piece of gum on our sidelines

You'd be surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for Trev at UNO. First off, there's the fact that he killed wrestling and football. He also fired a locally popular baseball coach. He swung for the fences with the arena, but hockey and basketball have been so-so (frozen four before Baxter opened) and their revenue has fallen short. An NCAA bid in basketball would have been huge for his popularity. From the outside, he looks like he's doing a great job, but there are plenty of grumbles among Mav fans. Kind of similar to Bill Byrne when he was here, I guess, and he seemed to be sought after.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

When you look at Doc's and Barry's roster when they were fired, none of those players at the time had better options. Of all the players that TM lost there were only 2 that were potential game changes and 1 was bordeline(Diaz). Diaz was a part of the transition; Petteway was a family issue as he felt he needed to go pro, and AWIII it turned out was completely self serving. I'll throw in Biggs as a soft #4 but his departure was directed by the AD. As much as I don't like to lose players it is common in CBB for non contributing scholarship players to transfer. Looking back would you want to have any of them back other than 3 I mentioned?

Do you think any of the guys on our current roster have better options? While we would like be believe that players commit to DONU because we are just so darn special and great, that is not the case. They commit to the coaches mostly with the rare exceptions of a guy like Sheilds or other home state kid who wants to stay close to home and has grown up a Husker fan.

I think we could lose any combination of Watson, Morrow, Jordy T, Roby as they all would have better options. Also could lose Nana.

That would be devastating to our program. So long as you have athletes you have a chance. Athletes, especially in basketball, can cover up mediocre coaching.

Fundamentally sound can only take you so far. A one game scenario all bets are off but to win multiple games you need to have athletes. Eventually size and speed wins out over the long haul.

You continue to miss the point entirely.  Of course there's a chance of losing quality players during a coaching change.  No one is debating that (although you seem to be doing a great job debating it with yourself).  THERE IS ALSO A HIGH PROBABILITY THAT WE LOSE QUALITY PLAYERS IF TIM MILES IS RETAINED.  History shows us this.  JBD, Biggs, Smith, Pitch, Petteway, and White were all expected to be relied upon to command major minutes, but they left anyway.  None went to the NBA.  And 5 of 6 left by entirely their own choice.  That's the point.  To assume that "Watson, Morrow, Jordy T, Roby" would automatically stick around under Miles is asinine. 

You also bring up committing to a coach.  Well Biggs, Smith, Pitch, Petteway, and White all committed to Miles too, but that didn't keep them in a Husker uniform.  And have you looked at the CSU roster after Miles left to come here?  Three players with remaining eligibility left the program.  Their names were Mann, Calcaterra, and Williams, and combined they accounted for 36 rebounds and 42 points in Miles’ last season at CSU. With those stats, I’m not even sure they were scholarship players.  But they were the only ones who decided they didn’t want to play basketball for CSU with Miles no longer the coach.  Quite the mass exodus indeed.

Edited by aphilso1

12 hours ago, PimpMario said:

As a central alumnus I didn't feel like he was a huge miss coming out of high school. Did you?

No, out of high school he was not academically eligible (4 out of 6 of Centrals all star team weren't eligible and as a future educator I find that to be a travesty but that'd a story for a different day). So he went JUCO and got kicked off the team for an incident he may or may not have been apart of, transferred back to a local JUCO and got picked up by UNO.

I love to see that he got it all turned around and is set to graduate but I don't blame NU for not looking his way at all. He definitely could've helped with guard depth this year tho.

Guys I have no clue what goes into why our staff chose not to offer certain kids from in state.  But this conversation reminds me of the ones on the football boards where posters go after for misses.  It is very easy to sit and say Bo missed the boat (one of many boats) on Drew Ott given how his career at Iowa played out similar to the names listed above in this thread.  I am guessing that had the staff had a crystal ball and could see that a kid who they worked out and not done well would turn into the player Daum did they would have done more to get him to Lincoln.  Why it frustrates me to hear folks bitch about a player if he is not starting by the end of his second year of college.  For some, the light just takes longer to come on.

12 hours ago, swmckewon said:

How closely do you follow Nebraska and the Big Ten?

Thurman could play for Nebraska any day of the week. 

How closely do you follow Nebraska basketball Sam?

Who is he playing over?

Offensively Tre'Shawn could probably put up MJ type numbers but he would get eaten alive defensively by Big Ten front courts. Thurm had 3+ fouls in 14 out of 19 games against Summit League competition. And what's one thing we know Tim Miles doesn't put up with? Poor defense. So please tell me again how he would play everyday of the week for Nebraska.

Edited by khoock

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

TraDeon Hollins got released from his JUCO after a guy fired 9 shots at through his window and his coaches/school didn't believe his story that it was a co-incidence.  Whiff by us, right?

There is that, but that's probably not the reason he didn't get the big major offers. When I saw him play as a junior in high school, I saw him handle, pass, defend, and score in transition and wondered how the hell is this guy not a big time recruit.  Then I saw him shoot a granny setter, and knew why.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 10:40 AM, Ron Mexico said:

Hey @Ron Mexico, how's your keep-Miles-so-that-there's-not-a-mass-exodus strategy working so far?  You know, the one that I showed you was asinine but you swore would work?

32 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Hey @Ron Mexico, how's your keep-Miles-so-that-there's-not-a-mass-exodus strategy working so far?  You know, the one that I showed you was asinine but you swore would work?

Boy I bet that felt good didn't it. Go ahead and get it all out of your system fella.