Watching a game with something on the line is stressful

15 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

That of course is assuming what we currently have doesn't get completely blown up.

How many from that Sophomore and Freshman class have been redshirted? None. Any of them could easily transfer.

My argument, which still holds up, is to build up depth, have a solid Fr-Sr group of players. At that point we could survive a coach firing.

Our program is not at place where we can fire a coach and just move forward without having to take a 3-5yr step back.

We've had 3 straight losing seasons where we've collapsed at the end of the regular season.   I'd be curious as to your definition of a step back.

52 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I don't think it is a fair question. You were one who was extremely critical of our recruiting in the past, and justifiably so. Your were even more critical, as I recall, of throwing scholarships away just to fill a roster. TM can be criticized for a lot of things, but recruiting is not one of them, especially over the last couple of years, where we haven't seen this level of talent since Danny Nee was the coach. Our recruiting has been so abysmal in the past that I believe TM should be given a few more years to work things out with the current groups of players. Keeping TM longer, even if we would only rise to the level of mediocre, and currently we are looking up to see mediocre, with what he has been able to accomplish on the recruiting front is the most important reason to keep him. People want to get rid of TM in few years, fine, but lets at least allow him to continue to build depth on the roster for the next few years so that if/when that time might come to let him go we will not be starting over from a recruiting stand point.

Don't really think the depth is ever going to get better than the situation we are currently in without winning some games.    Which is the question with Miles at the helm.   Keeping Miles, recruiting isn't going to get easier.

And I agree, I don't think we should be throwing spots away.   But do you see those guys as throwaways?   I don't.   It's not like those guys don't have skills.   They may not be double digit scorers in the Big 10, but they are as good/better as some of the parts we have and have had.

3 minutes ago, nustudent said:

We've had 3 straight losing seasons where we've collapsed at the end of the regular season.   I'd be curious as to your definition of a step back.

A step back as in we have multiple defections/transfers, which will happen it's just a matter of how many. When we fired Collier and Sadler this was not a concern as recruiting had been so bad it wouldn't have mattered. TM has gotten us to a place where it would matter and we would be back Collier and Sadler level which would then take the next coach 3-5yrs to just match if that coach is as good at recruiting as TM. FOR NOW, I'll sacrifice wins to build up talent. I also believe that TM will turn this thing around. What is also conveniently overlooked is that he did get us an NCAA tournment bid.

17 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Don't really think the depth is ever going to get better than the situation we are currently in without winning some games.    Which is the question with Miles at the helm.   Keeping Miles, recruiting isn't going to get easier.

And I agree, I don't think we should be throwing spots away.   But do you see those guys as throwaways?   I don't.   It's not like those guys don't have skills.   They may not be double digit scorers in the Big 10, but they are as good/better as some of the parts we have and have had.

This is, of course, with perfect hindsight. All of this comparison is just silly as we are criticizing a strength of TM, which is recruiting.

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

Ugh, this is my least favorite part of March Madness (and the lead-up to it now, I guess), when we start talking about how much better Player McPlayerson from Directional U is than our own roster. I like UNO and love that they made a good run -- but this is also a team that had 100 points dropped on them THREE times this season (by Rice, Oral Roberts and Fort Wayne), who was swept by Fort Wayne, and who had a 7-6 non-con record (with a win over Iowa but double-digit losses to USC, KState, Rice, Eastern Michigan, Iowa State, and Pitt -- average margin of loss was 19 points). Do they have a player or two who might contribute here? Sure, in a bench role, they might. But let's also feed Ed Morrow or Jack McVeigh a steady diet of those games and see what they look like.

Again, I like UNO. Glad they made it as far as they did. They score points a lot so their horrible defense isn't as glaring and they can be fun to watch. But I'll take our guys pretty much any day of the week.

(back to lurkerdom...)

You should take your lurker hat off and contribute more often.  That was probably the most level-headed and reasonable post anyone has made here in at least a month...

3 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

We don't play games on consequence anymore. You have to win to have meaningful games.

Tonight in the playin game there is 0 chance we can win 5 games in a row.

Guess I didn't get stressed out over a game that did not include my favorite team.  I have other teams I follow and enjoy watching, heck I even have one I follow HOPING they lose (and no it's not the bluebirds) but I never stress over their games.

From the eye test...I would take Thurman over Jacobson.  I get that they are in different classes, and I'm not blaming Miles for not recruiting Thurman.  Nor is that a knock on Jacobson, but I like Thurman's game.  I think a lot of schools stayed away from him as the rumor was he was not going to qualify.  Also, Daum is a beast....Andrew Drevo on steroids if you will.  His athleticism may keep him from playing in the NBA but he's so crafty it's no wonder he's dropping 25 points a game.  Would love to see him become a graduate transfer and give the Big 10 a shot. 

I get the argument that this is all hindsight, but here is my deal, especially with the bigger guys who were playing last night.  Prior to this year, we had been starved for post players.  We have been filling that spot with a string of broken guys that we are just praying will get unbroken(Leslie, Moses, Copeland, probably Morrow, etc.) AND carrying at least one open scholarship for way too many years.  Why not take a flier on a Thurman?  Why not stick with Patton on the off chance he got his grades up?  Look, I was happy when we landed all of those broken big guys because I have super red kool-aid glasses on most of the time.  I was super juiced when we got Coleman(yay 5 star!), but the cold reality is we probably shouldn't be banking on a guy coming off of back surgery.  Who knows, I'm just tired of seasons like this one that limp to the finish and need to vent.

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

Ugh, this is my least favorite part of March Madness (and the lead-up to it now, I guess), when we start talking about how much better Player McPlayerson from Directional U is than our own roster. I like UNO and love that they made a good run -- but this is also a team that had 100 points dropped on them THREE times this season (by Rice, Oral Roberts and Fort Wayne), who was swept by Fort Wayne, and who had a 7-6 non-con record (with a win over Iowa but double-digit losses to USC, KState, Rice, Eastern Michigan, Iowa State, and Pitt -- average margin of loss was 19 points). Do they have a player or two who might contribute here? Sure, in a bench role, they might. But let's also feed Ed Morrow or Jack McVeigh a steady diet of those games and see what they look like.

Again, I like UNO. Glad they made it as far as they did. They score points a lot so their horrible defense isn't as glaring and they can be fun to watch. But I'll take our guys pretty much any day of the week.

(back to lurkerdom...)

Hey Lady! in a Jerry Lewis voice.:D

Wish you would post more often, because you are always level headed and strong takes on what is being talked about.

Quit lurkering and jump in more please!;)

(back to lurkerdom...)

I liked your post. But one sentiment I have always identified with is "if you are going to suck you might as well play a fun style of basketball."

I would be okay with boring bad offense and good defense if we won with it, but we haven't.

It has been the worst of both worlds: we have sucked and not been fun to watch.

My 2 cents on Daum/UNO kids:

Daum didn't come out of nowhere, this is from the LJS:

Daum chose South Dakota State from among 10 NCAA Division I offers, including North Dakota, Lehigh, Idaho State and Wyoming. He took an unofficial visit to Nebraska at the beginning of his junior season but said he lost contact with the coaching staff and never discussed walking on with the Huskers.

Did anyone see this trajectory? No, but he was a talent out there to evaluate. Wyoming offered him and they were an NCAA team in 2015. We were looking for big men at the time, but this doesn't sound like he got much of a look. I put this in the same category as Patton and Thomas. It's one thing to evaluate and pass, it's another to not put in the work, and that's where I question the staff on these three.

Regarding Thurman, I love him and think he could have played here. But is he better than the 5 other guys we have at that spot already? No, and it wasn't a position of need.

Regarding Hollins, he had a lot of personal baggage. Frankly, I'm glad he got his life together and I'm fine that he did it at UNO.

Hahn is a terrific scorer but very limited on defense at BIG level.

53 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

A step back as in we have multiple defections/transfers, which will happen it's just a matter of how many. When we fired Collier and Sadler this was not a concern as recruiting had been so bad it wouldn't have mattered. TM has gotten us to a place where it would matter and we would be back Collier and Sadler level which would then take the next coach 3-5yrs to just match if that coach is as good at recruiting as TM. FOR NOW, I'll sacrifice wins to build up talent. I also believe that TM will turn this thing around. What is also conveniently overlooked is that he did get us an NCAA tournment bid.

You can't assume that we will have more defectors transitioning under a new coach than we would by retaining Miles.  Or I guess you could assume that, it just wouldn't be based on anything other than your gut.  Here's a list of scholarship players that left with eligibility remaining during the Tim Miles era, with contributing players (meaning starters or first couple off the bench) in bold.

2016:

AWIII

Hammond

Evelyn

2015:

Petteway

Pitchford

Tarin Smith

2014:

Hawkins

Vucetic

2013:

Biggs

2012 (transition year after Doc's firing):

Brian Diaz

Josiah Moore

Corey Hilliard

Chris Niemann

So yeah, we did lose JBD when transitioning from Doc to Miles.  But you should expect to lose a couple of players regardless of if Miles is retained.  And with only one exception, we have lost key players every year, not just the "normal" attrition of guys getting drafted in the NBA (none), or they're buried on the depth chart (Hawk, Vuc, etc), or they have a career ending injury (Niemann).  The only season we kept the band together was in '14, and it's not too hard to figure out why.  We were actually good that year.  That's clearly not the case now, so I'm not sure how you can assume we won't lose some combination of Roby, Watson, Jordy, Horne, etc.