Watching a game with something on the line is stressful

3 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Treshawn Thurman is a similar player to Derek Pardon at Northwestern and Pardon has owned Morrow every time he's played us so I wouldn't say Morrow is much better either. Just my opinion.

Pardon's gonna be an all Big Ten player, perhaps as early as next year. Morrow was hurt when he played 'em this year and missed two of the games with injury vs. Northwestern. We haven't really seen Morrow vs. Pardon yet.

Edited by uneblinstu

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Not referring to your posts. Sans the foot injury I would take Morrow. Just referring to the earlier post that said Hollins was the only one that could play on Nebraska. Thurman could most definitely hold his own. 

Oh, I agree, I think there are a couple of guys at UNO that would contribute. I don't know that they push NU over the hump, though.

34 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Thurman could play at Nebraska. He put up 17 and 9 against Iowa, 18 and 9 against Pitt and 20 and 14 against USC. Get out of here if you don't think he could play here. 

Completely and totally agree. Could definitely contribute

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Pardon's gonna be an all Big Ten player, perhaps as early as next year. Morrow was hurt when he played 'em this year and missed two of the games with injury vs. Northwestern. We haven't really seen Morrow vs. Pardon yet.

Not sure that Pardon ever makes it to all Big Ten, I don't know that he'll ever put up the scoring numbers. Here are just the freshmen and sophomores that played regular minutes this year at the 4 and 5 this year in the conference. Some will go to the NBA but there's still quite a few good players.

Player School Ht Wt Class ppg rpg
Caleb Swanigan Purdue 6-9 250 So. 18.7 12.6
Miles Bridges Michigan State 6-7 230 Fr. 16.6 8.0
Ethan Happ Wisconsin 6-10 230 So. 13.9 9.0
Nick Ward Michigan State 6-8 250 Fr. 13.6 6.3
Thomas Bryant Indiana 6-10 255 So. 12.9 6.9
Lamar Stevens Penn State 6-7 220 Fr. 12.5 5.6
Moritz Wagner Michigan 6-11 230 So. 12.4 4.4
Tyler Cook Iowa 6-9 255 Fr. 12.0 5.1
OG Anunoby Indiana 6-8 235 So. 11.1 5.4
Jordan Murphy Minnesota 6-6 230 So. 11.1 8.7
Justin Jackson Maryland 6-7 225 Fr. 10.7 6.2
Mike Watkins Penn State 6-9 245 Fr. 9.5 8.1
Ed Morrow Nebraska 6-7 235 So. 9.4 7.4
Cordell Pemsl Iowa 6-8 250 Fr. 9.0 4.7
Dererk Pardon Northwestern 6-8 235 So. 8.6 8.0
Leron Black Illinois 6-7 220 So. 8.2 6.0
Juwan Morgan Indiana 6-8 230 So. 7.2 5.4
Michael Finke Illinois 6-10 230 So. 6.8 4.1
Michael Jacobson Nebraska 6-8 240 So. 6.0 6.2
De'Ron Davis Indiana 6-10 240 Fr. 5.8 3.2
Eric Curry Minnesota 6-9 255 Fr. 5.6 5.3
Jordy Tshimanga Nebraska 6-11 275 Fr. 4.9 4.0
Micah Potter Ohio State 6-9 240 Fr. 4.2 3.1
Charles Thomas Wisconsin 6-8 250 So. 2.3 1.3
Barrett Benson Northwestern 6-10 240 Fr. 2.1 1.7
Alex Illikainen Wisconsin 6-9 230 So. 1.5 1.7
Shaquille Doorson Rutgers 7-0 270 So. 1.3 1.6
Jon Teske Michigan 7-0 245 Fr. 0.3 0.6

7 hours ago, swmckewon said:

How closely do you follow Nebraska and the Big Ten?

Thurman could play for Nebraska any day of the week. 

The Nebraska fan base would have excoriated TM if he would have taken any of them over any current player on Nebraska's roster that currently gets significant playing minutes. You are speaking with hindsight. One of the biggest criticisms against Collier and Sadler was their recruiting. You are in essence criticizing TM recruiting!?! When there has been a player coming out of a Nebraska HS with clear high level D1 talent TM has tried to recruit them i.e. Agau.

I find your statement to very disingenuous.  

Thurman could easily play for us.    Hahn could too.   The fact he can shoot gives him a skill we don't have much of 

again in hindsight is 20/20.    Don't blame Miles for not taking These guys over others that we have.    That doesn't mean they aren't better though.     I do think it's fair to question what if we had taken them over leaving 1-2 spots open every year though 

8 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Is it reasonable to expect high school players who are good at shooting to be good in college... Or get better?

Thats what we were hoping with on Fuller. And going back a few years, Markowski. Both regressed as shooters unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Thurman could easily play for us.    Hahn could too.   The fact he can shoot gives him a skill we don't have much of 

again in hindsight is 20/20.    Don't blame Miles for not taking These guys over others that we have.    That doesn't mean they aren't better though.     I do think it's fair to question what if we had taken them over leaving 1-2 spots open every year though 

I don't think it is a fair question. You were one who was extremely critical of our recruiting in the past, and justifiably so. Your were even more critical, as I recall, of throwing scholarships away just to fill a roster. TM can be criticized for a lot of things, but recruiting is not one of them, especially over the last couple of years, where we haven't seen this level of talent since Danny Nee was the coach. Our recruiting has been so abysmal in the past that I believe TM should be given a few more years to work things out with the current groups of players. Keeping TM longer, even if we would only rise to the level of mediocre, and currently we are looking up to see mediocre, with what he has been able to accomplish on the recruiting front is the most important reason to keep him. People want to get rid of TM in few years, fine, but lets at least allow him to continue to build depth on the roster for the next few years so that if/when that time might come to let him go we will not be starting over from a recruiting stand point.

3 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Ugh, this is my least favorite part of March Madness (and the lead-up to it now, I guess), when we start talking about how much better Player McPlayerson from Directional U is than our own roster. I like UNO and love that they made a good run -- but this is also a team that had 100 points dropped on them THREE times this season (by Rice, Oral Roberts and Fort Wayne), who was swept by Fort Wayne, and who had a 7-6 non-con record (with a win over Iowa but double-digit losses to USC, KState, Rice, Eastern Michigan, Iowa State, and Pitt -- average margin of loss was 19 points). Do they have a player or two who might contribute here? Sure, in a bench role, they might. But let's also feed Ed Morrow or Jack McVeigh a steady diet of those games and see what they look like.

Again, I like UNO. Glad they made it as far as they did. They score points a lot so their horrible defense isn't as glaring and they can be fun to watch. But I'll take our guys pretty much any day of the week.

(back to lurkerdom...)

You, Madam, deserve a plethora of up votes.  A cornucopia even.  Alas, I have just one to offer, but I offer it freely.

(or I guess I could have just said "THIS")

8 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I don't think it is a fair question. You were one who was extremely critical of our recruiting in the past, and justifiably so. Your were even more critical, as I recall, of throwing scholarships away just to fill a roster. TM can be criticized for a lot of things, but recruiting is not one of them, especially over the last couple of years, where we haven't seen this level of talent since Danny Nee was the coach. Our recruiting has been so abysmal in the past that I believe TM should be given a few more years to work things out with the current groups of players. Keeping TM longer, even if we would only rise to the level of mediocre, and currently we are looking up to see mediocre, with what he has been able to accomplish on the recruiting front is the most important reason to keep him. People want to get rid of TM in few years, fine, but lets at least allow him to continue to build depth on the roster for the next few years so that if/when that time might come to let him go we will not be starting over from a recruiting stand point.

I really don't want to turn this into the 197th "should we fire Tim Miles thread," but your argument actually provides a compelling reason to give Tim the boot now rather than later.  The current sophomore class is the strength of the team, meaning an incoming coach would inherit a team that should be pretty talented for his first two years.  Now is the time to pull the trigger on a coaching change, if leaving the cupboard stocked is really a priority.

35 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I do think it's fair to question what if we had taken them over leaving 1-2 spots open every year though

Is Copeland the difference next year?  We don't have him if we took a flyer on someone.

I would have went with Tarin Smith and Bakari Evelyn if I was Monday Morning Quarterbacking our roster.

I think we went with some late minute lottery tickets for PGs there where if they don't work out you can get rid of them. It's a lot trickier to dump the hometown kid who might not pan out. In hindsight, we potentially could have filled that spot with a guy who had more to check off in the leadership and intangibles side than the raw ability side. That's a tough pill to swallow though when your talent upgrade is relative to you and not the rest of the league.

15 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I really don't want to turn this into the 197th "should we fire Tim Miles thread," but your argument actually provides a compelling reason to give Tim the boot now rather than later.  The current sophomore class is the strength of the team, meaning an incoming coach would inherit a team that should be pretty talented for his first two years.  Now is the time to pull the trigger on a coaching change, if leaving the cupboard stocked is really a priority.

That of course is assuming what we currently have doesn't get completely blown up.

How many from that Sophomore and Freshman class have been redshirted? None. Any of them could easily transfer.

My argument, which still holds up, is to build up depth, have a solid Fr-Sr group of players. At that point we could survive a coach firing.

Our program is not at place where we can fire a coach and just move forward without having to take a 3-5yr step back.

7 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Is Copeland the difference next year?  We don't have him if we took a flyer on someone.

I would have went with Tarin Smith and Bakari Evelyn if I was Monday Morning Quarterbacking our roster.

I think we went with some late minute lottery tickets for PGs there where if they don't work out you can get rid of them. It's a lot trickier to dump the hometown kid who might not pan out. In hindsight, we potentially could have filled that spot with a guy who had more to check off in the leadership and intangibles side than the raw ability side. That's a tough pill to swallow though when your talent upgrade is relative to you and not the rest of the league.

Ding ding ding. This +1000