Tai Second Team Media All-Big Ten

5 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

You could make a case vs. any of the guards.

I'm a huge fan of Tai but he isn't better than Trimble or Mason or Jok so didn't think Tai should have been 1st team. 

Only Tai and Bronson Koenig weren't  the only unanimous selections on 2nd team so he barely made second team.

This is probably more about our record than it is how good Tai is.

22 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I'm a huge fan of Tai but he isn't better than Trimble or Mason or Jok so didn't think Tai should have been 1st team. 

Only Tai and Bronson Koenig weren't  the only unanimous selections on 2nd team so he barely made second team.

This is probably more about our record than it is how good Tai is.

His numbers, other than perhaps 3pt shooting stack up.

Amongst those four, he's 2nd in points per game, 2nd in rebounds, 2nd in assists, 3rd in FT's made, 1st in Steals. His 3pt and FT % he's last in the group. He stacks up. But his team finished 12th. So, that's probably the difference, but NU was 2-2 vs. that group.

Edited by uneblinstu

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

His numbers, other than perhaps 3pt shooting stack up.

Amongst those four, he's 2nd in points per game, 2nd in rebounds, 2nd in assists, 3rd in FT's made, 1st in Steals. His 3pt and FT % he's last in the group. He stacks up. But his team finished 12th. So, that's probably the difference, but NU was 2-2 vs. that group.

True, and also he outperformed Trimble when we played Maryland. I don't know if he deserved first team, but he sure as hell should have been unanimously 2nd team. He was the heart and soul of our team, and one of the biggest bright spots from this season. 

Tai Webster averaged 17.3 points, 5.1 rebounds, 4.0 assists & 1.34 steals. I think Tai is downgraded for a 12-18 team while only shooting 42.7% (29.9% on threes) with 3.3 turnovers. The 6-12 B1G record with 12 losses in the final 15 probably made certain that Tai was going to barely hang on to a 2nd team spot (shared with Bronson Koenig, by the way). The media gave the nod to #0 while the coaches had B.K. 

Jordy Tshimanga was named the Sportsmanship Award winner. Kudos, 2 Chainz. :D

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

I would have given it to Walton over Mason.

Tai had a great year but offensively he's second team at best. You could make an argument with his defense but that's always harder to make.

Coach Miles said he voted Derrick Walton 1st team. I wonder who he didn't have on there... seems likely to have been Mason as the other 4 are nearly shoo-ins.

Edited by AuroranHusker
*clarity*

29 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It's hard to find among the 15 will he stay or will he go threads

It doesn't help when 14 of those threads are regarding whether Andrew White will stay at Syracuse or transfer somewhere else.

Of course, the other 1 thread being about Grant Gibbs' chances on landing his 10th year at Creighton.