Sipple checks in

jimmykc

Dirk does make some points but he ignores year two when the team did make the tournament and was on fire in February. He basically ignores our best three point shooter leaving us in the lurch at the end of the summer. Maybe the coach was at fault but we really don't know that. And was Miles responsible for Roby's back and Morrow's foot or should he be able to foresee injuries before they happen? How about Shavon's concussion, might that have had an impact on the end of the previous year? I think it is possible to have a three year streak of bad luck and then catch some breaks. I get that Dirk doesn't like Miles, but to be fair, the case for the AD keeping him one more year is just as strong if these facts are not ignored. Meanwhile I am glad we are not in some sort of bidding war with Illinois for the latest hot coach du jour. We'll know next year at this time whether Shawn or Dirk is right. I am content to wait until then to see.And maybe Dirk's assessment of our underclassmen's talent will make them have something to prove next year.I would hate to think what his opinion of Tai was after year one or two.

Edited by jimmykc

22 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Dirk does make some points but he ignores year two when the team did make the tournament and was on fire in February. He basically ignores our best three point shooter leaving us in the lurch at the end of the summer. Maybe the coach was at fault but we really don't know that. And was Miles responsible for Roby's back and Morrow's foot or should he be able to foresee injuries before they happen. How about Shavon's concussion, might that have had an impact on the end of the previous year? I think it is possible to have a three year streak of bad luck and then catch some breaks. I get that Dirk doesn't like Miles, but to be fair, the case for the AD keeping him one more year is just as strong if these facts are not ignored. Meanwhile I am glad we are not in some sort of bidding war with Illinois for the latest hot coach du jour. We'll know next year at this time whether Shawn or Dirk is right. I am content to wait until then to see.And maybe Dirk's assessment of our underclassmen's talent will make them have something to prove next year.I would hate to think what his opinion of Tai was after year one or two.

I'm not a fan of the "bad luck" argument... most all teams have injuries (sure, some more than others), and some overcome them while others do not. Those who are able to are obviously deeper teams, and we have been somewhat hamstrung by our inability to fill all our scholarships. 

Another knock on Miles for me is the lack of an effective offense. He obviously understands the game (just listen to the guy talk about it), but it doesn't translate to X's and O's (see inbounds play). Not every head coach needs to be an X's and O's guru per se, but those who aren't tend to compensate with their staff. Those who watched the Northwestern game in Lincoln this year saw two extremes on offensive coaching abilities. 

That said, I love his energy and personality. I love his embrace of what history we have. I like some of the young talent we have and would love to see everyone stick together (with a couple of new additions) and see what they can do. I look forward to supporting the team next year and hoping for the best!

Edit - Jimmy, this was by no means directed at you... I just finally felt like throwing in my two cents. 

Edited by nebrasketball10

I'm a Miles BoBo thru & thru, but let's not overlook the elephant in the room. We were in the top 15 in attendance to watch a team that won 12 games. That speaks to Tim, the fans, & what the expectations are here. However, the "new car" smell is about to wear off the arena, the expectations will be ramped up dramatically, & fans won't keep showing up to watch a clunker. No one knows this better than Miles, & I've got a hunch he's up to the challenge.

43 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I'm a Miles BoBo thru & thru, but let's not overlook the elephant in the room. We were in the top 15 in attendance to watch a team that won 12 games. That speaks to Tim, the fans, & what the expectations are here. However, the "new car" smell is about to wear off the arena, the expectations will be ramped up dramatically, & fans won't keep showing up to watch a clunker. No one knows this better than Miles, & I've got a hunch he's up to the challenge.

This is another concern I have (with the program, not with Miles). We've got a short window where the new facilities are enough to bring fans and recruits even with subpar results. The glitz will where off and other teams will build new facilities. This is kind of Nebraska basketball's best chance at propelling itself into something more than it's been, and that window won't stay open forever. 

That said, it's obviously not impossible to build something outside of that "window" it just seems like the best chance we have to do so. 

Now more specific to Miles, one of the biggest arguments for him is the talent we've brought in. It's a great argument - the talent is markedly better than that under previous regimes... but isn't that expected when you can pitch top-5 facilities and top-ten attendance?? We didn't have that to sell before. 

A part of me wonders if we're blowing our window of opportunity. 

Here again, I'm coming off negative, but I'll continue to support the team and Miles unapologetically throughout his tenure (as I did with Nee, Collier and Doc). 

2 hours ago, nebrasketball10 said:

This is another concern I have (with the program, not with Miles). We've got a short window where the new facilities are enough to bring fans and recruits even with subpar results. The glitz will where off and other teams will build new facilities. This is kind of Nebraska basketball's best chance at propelling itself into something more than it's been, and that window won't stay open forever. 

That said, it's obviously not impossible to build something outside of that "window" it just seems like the best chance we have to do so. 

Now more specific to Miles, one of the biggest arguments for him is the talent we've brought in. It's a great argument - the talent is markedly better than that under previous regimes... but isn't that expected when you can pitch top-5 facilities and top-ten attendance?? We didn't have that to sell before. 

A part of me wonders if we're blowing our window of opportunity. 

Here again, I'm coming off negative, but I'll continue to support the team and Miles unapologetically throughout his tenure (as I did with Nee, Collier and Doc). 

Yes, I agree our facilities are going to wear off.  It saved Miles' job, to be quite frank.  If he had 4/5 losing seasons in the Devaney, fans are not coming to the games.  If fans don't come to the games, the coach is not going to be there, any longer. 

However, if we are going to the NCAA tournament consistently, with some trips to the NIT, and maybe an occasional losing season, people will still come to the games.  That's why when people claimed Moe did not play a style for fan entertainment, I laugh at them.  It wouldn't have mattered if they were going to the tournament most years. 

On 3/11/2017 at 11:54 AM, hhcdimes said:

It probably won't stop the same people who started the same rumor last year from giving it a go after his Junior year

I was one who "started that rumor" last year and I'll have to be one who "starts the rumor" again this offseason. I don't know if it's just the in thing to say you're considering transferring or if it just comes with this generation of instant gratification. Everyone wants it given to them instantly or they move on. Or say they're thinking of moving on.

6 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

I was one who "started that rumor" last year and I'll have to be one who "starts the rumor" again this offseason. I don't know if it's just the in thing to say you're considering transferring or if it just comes with this generation of instant gratification. Everyone wants it given to them instantly or they move on. Or say they're thinking of moving on.

I wouldn't dump on this generation. It's an age of empowerment, choices and instant gratification. There used to be 3 TV channels, now there are hundreds. Do you sit there waiting for The View to be over or do you switch channels? Thirty years ago, you stayed with your Chevy even though it dropped a quarter of oil on the highway ever mile. Today, there are dozens of brands. Kids react to what's in front of them, as they always have. And oldtimers rail about the younger generation, as they always have.

7 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

Think you're late to the party, someone has already started it.

10 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

How many degrees away from Ed are you talking about though? I'm not blaming you personally for something you've heard from someone who you know might know things 

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I wouldn't dump on this generation. It's an age of empowerment, choices and instant gratification. There used to be 3 TV channels, now there are hundreds. Do you sit there waiting for The View to be over or do you switch channels? Thirty years ago, you stayed with your Chevy even though it dropped a quarter of oil on the highway ever mile. Today, there are dozens of brands. Kids react to what's in front of them, as they always have. And oldtimers rail about the younger generation, as they always have.

I wouldn't dump on them if I didn't have to employ them!  :mellow::)