Sipple checks in

jimmykc

I think this article may mean Miles is done. Sipple is always the last columnist to write this type of article, and  I think that when he questions the wisdom of bringing a coach back it almost always end up with the coach being fired that year...and I think I could have left out the almost. 

I think it's because he knows the decision has already been made and he knows what it is. 

Two weeks ago, I firmly believed Miles should get a chance to coach this group next year.

I still think that but I won't be upset if he's not. 

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, Handy Johnson said:

The "word on the street" today is that Morrow will be transferring regardless of Miles status. I certainly don't have any inside info or connections, but Alumni who have the ear of people I don't, believe Tim's job is very much up in there air.

I really hope that is not true (Morrow transfer rumors) and if it is in any way that Morrow chooses to stay!

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Why Ed would transfer is well beyond me.

That kid could be an All-Big 10 player here his SR. year and possibly even next year!

I think that is within his potential, certainly is if he can stay healthy.  One wonders if he is now prone to foot problems, though.  Tough not to be it would seem when playing basketball.

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Why Ed would transfer is well beyond me.

That kid could be an All-Big 10 player here his SR. year and possibly even next year!

He is 6 7 230 playing center.  I think most other schools he would be a power forward.  Hopefully if he stays, they will work on getting Jordy and Ed on the court at the same time.

1 hour ago, bigred4 said:

He is 6 7 230 playing center.  I think most other schools he would be a power forward.  Hopefully if he stays, they will work on getting Jordy and Ed on the court at the same time.

I disagree with this.  Ed is playing center because it more suits his skill set.  He's extremely powerful but he's not much for dribbling or for shooting much beyond the paint.  If Ed had PF skills, he'd be playing PF for us and Michael and Jordy would be playing center.

If Ed develops PF tools, which he certainly could do, then I could see him advancing to more of a face-up, PF type role.  As it is, because he is a beast who plays much bigger than his actual size, I see him staying inside for now.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I disagree with this.  Ed is playing center because it more suits his skill set.  He's extremely powerful but he's not much for dribbling or for shooting much beyond the paint.  If Ed had PF skills, he'd be playing PF for us and Michael and Jordy would be playing center.

If Ed develops PF tools, which he certainly could do, then I could see him advancing to more of a face-up, PF type role.  As it is, because he is a beast who plays much bigger than his actual size, I see him staying inside for now.

Morrow does play bigger than his actual size, but imagine if he and Jordy were out there together and he was being guarded by another team's 4 instead of their center.  He struggles at times just because the guys defending him are bigger than him.  I just don't think we can go the next two years without seeing those 2 guys on the floor together.  He has shown he can step out and hit a 15 - 18 footer, and the one game they did play together, they looked pretty good doing it.

Can Ed play as well/quickly/explosively weighing 240-245 lbs?  If he can he's not really going to struggle the majority of the post players in the conference.

How do people feel about his post moves? Does he need to work on that more or is he ready for working on ball handling/mid-range shooting?

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Handy: I hope those alums were as "in" on this Morrow rumor as they were on Miles.

Agreed, I am always reluctant to give props to rumors and innuendo for the obvious reasons. I hope everyone sticks around and we can get this ship righted...

Edited by Handy Johnson

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

How do people feel about his post moves? Does he need to work on that more or is he ready for working on ball handling/mid-range shooting?

I am not a fan of his post moves. Although he had a nice one to start the Mich game. He either tries to over power or get to the other side of the rim. He needs to perfect the face up 10 footer and really get a go to jump hook since he is always shorter than his defenders. I wish he would watch the kid from ND, similar size post guy who scores at will it seems.

1 hour ago, MichHusker said:

Ed was a black hole inside all year. If I was a guard and Ed got the ball anywhere near the block, I'm just getting back on D cuz that ball is not coming back out ever

On top of this, I think he would kick out more with more dependable 3 pt shooters as well! Better spacing would also be nice.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Ed shot .514 from the floor. For as much as he gets the ball in the paint, he's gotta be close to .600. He was his freshman year.  Swanigan was similar to Ed this year, but he does a lot more jump shooting.

In non-conference play he was 56.5 %, in the first four conference games before he had to sit he was 51.7%, after he came back he was 43.1%. In conference play had had 3 assists and 20 turnovers (a similar ratio to his career totals of 11 and 78).

Swanigan was credited with more assists per game this season than Glynn Watson.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley