Sipple checks in

jimmykc

Someone else can supply the link. The gist of his column at the top of the LJS sports page was that TM is not a good bench coach although he is good at other aspects of his job. It was basically damning with faint praise as Alexander Pope might have opined. Many on this site would agree, but since the LJS has been a mouthpiece for UNL over the years, his thoughts must have at least the tacit approval of administration there. His further premise is that the pressure on players and coaches next year would be too much to bear for a successful season. I don't agree, but Sipple has more access to the thinking at UNL than most of us. ..And also I would like to ask if anyone who posts here will attend the game live? I do not expect to see much red in the stands in D.C.

Edited by jimmykc

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/driving-for-case-to-fire-miles-strengthens-webster-s-streak/article_5be3374a-027c-11e7-869b-3b7388fe8ef5.html

I like Miles.  I badly want(ed) him to succeed.  But I also agree with a lot of what Sip says in the article. 

38 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/driving-for-case-to-fire-miles-strengthens-webster-s-streak/article_5be3374a-027c-11e7-869b-3b7388fe8ef5.html

I like Miles.  I badly want(ed) him to succeed.  But I also agree with a lot of what Sip says in the article. 

Unfortunately I am in the same boat. These last 4 games really changed my perspective.

Sip's main premise which I do not agree with is that college age kids who are struggling to find money for a supreme pizza will feel psychologically stressed if their head coach who pulls in 2 million per year might lose his job, especially if they are already dealing with the stress of a Trump presidency. Just ask the athletic department to pony up for some of those $13K isolation pods so that they can take naps and de-stress. In fact, maybe we could all use one of those pods.

I know it's probably just me...and well..maybe a lot of people that don't post on this board but: 

If Miles is indeed brought back -- a shaky proposition in the wake of four straight unsightly losses -- Nebraska would be expected to reach the NCAA Tournament.

I'd expect with the talent we have (or are supposed to have depending on if you put this all on Miles or put some of it on the players) that Nebraska reaches the NCAA next year no  matter who is coaching. Tim Miles...Roy Williams...Scott Frost...hell Lil' Red.  I  also expect us to beat Creighton next year as well.  Next year is not a rebuilding year unless a new coach comes in and dumps a portion of the team...or they transfer out.  As far as I'm concerned...this year was rock bottom.  Nowhere to go up up.  

3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Would everyone be losing their nerve if we had the string of 4 big losses in the middle of the season instead of the end of it?

I'm not sure if it's just the 4 big losses.  I think it's the fact that we have tanked in the second half of the season for the past three years. 

20 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I'm not sure if it's just the 4 big losses.  I think it's the fact that we have tanked in the second half of the season for the past three years. 

Actually, it's been the last 18-19 years Hb13.  The last time Nebraska basketball finished regular conference games above .500 was the 1998-1999 season.

So why do we want to start all over again by letting Miles go?  You know we will lose players and recruits if Eichorst lets him go this year.  We have a good man in place with good young players and good incoming recruits. Lets give him a couple more years without interruption from the news media and see what happens.  

5 minutes ago, Jurgey said:

Actually, it's been the last 18-19 years Hb13.  The last time Nebraska basketball finished regular conference games above .500 was the 1998-1999 season.

So why do we want to start all over again by letting Miles go?  You know we will lose players and recruits if Eichorst lets him go this year.  We have a good man in place with good young players and good incoming recruits. Lets give him a couple more years without interruption from the news media and see what happens.  

Well, three years ago NU finished 11-7, the *only* time since 1998-99 to finish above .500 in those 18 seasons.

13 minutes ago, Jurgey said:

Why do you assume by letting Miles go we are starting all over again?  But, I've said I think Miles should get next year if Eichorst does not believe he can land a guy on the top of his list.  Also, losing players is bound to happen whether we keep Miles or not.  The entire Big 10 has good young players in place and good incoming recruits.  It's going to take more than that...and when Sipple is calling out your X's and O's ability you know you are REALLY struggling in that department.   

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Gonna break this down a little bit here:

It's pretty safe to assume that letting a coach go and hiring someone new (read: the coach isn't taking a job elsewhere...he's getting fired) leads to starting all over again.  Rarely is this not the case.

It's not so much the head coach, losing Kenya and Mo might cause more defections than there would be otherwise.

The entire Big 10 is not immune to players transferring or not panning out.  Don't make the mistake that so many others make by discounting Nebraska's roster and overplaying others because you think it makes you sound "unbiased".  Overcompensating is not objectivity.  Plus, since when has any journalist been an expert on X's and O's?  Or any fan or message board geek for that matter?  Did Rich Pitino all of a sudden become an X's and O's genius this year because he started winning?  No.  He's still the same guy we took to the woodshed last year.  It makes me sick to see people whine about a coach that lost a game getting out coached.  So lazy.

If he (or you, or I or anyone for that matter) knew even a fraction about coaching basketball from an X's and O's standpoint that any P5 coach knew, we'd be out there making many more hundreds of thousands of dollars a year than we do sitting here being giant douchebags on the internet.

It's possible that Mo or Kenya may be gone regardless if Miles is around or not.  I really don't see us losing our core group though either way.  My thoughts on Sipple aren't really in regards to his basketball knowledge but more so him having a history of giving coaches a very very long leash.  You don't need to be an X's and O's expert to understand we are struggling in that department.  All you have to do is watch the games.....and, take a peak at our stats the past few years.  People say it's not an issue with talent, people say Miles has done a good job developing players....so, is it coaching?

3 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

My father was a boxing coach for 20 years, and I'm sure we all like to reference the "Old Man" from time to time, so here goes. "What this team needs is a swift kick in the a**"

Hey, I know a boxer! Wait...no. He's just a college basketball player who thought that boxing and not spending time with his new team during the summer would be the better thing to do.

4 hours ago, 49r said:

If he (or you, or I or anyone for that matter) knew even a fraction about coaching basketball from an X's and O's standpoint that any P5 coach knew, we'd be out there making many more hundreds of thousands of dollars a year than we do sitting here being giant douchebags on the internet.

There aren't enough up arrows for this :D. And I can be one of them!