How do we make a run?

royalfan

Let me start by saying, I don't think it will happen.  I think we have checked out for some reasons that we don't know at this time.  That being said, how do we change this up to make a surge?

Here are some things I would do. 

1.  Go to almost all zone defense.  Our man to man has gone off the rails.  Nobody has any understanding of how much room to give whoever they are checking.  Watson keeps getting beat so easily that it compromises the entire thing.  And then we have to double too many types of post players, which leads to even more wide open threes.  I would like to see a match up zone that has some man to man principles.  Zone also creates less running around.  If we are going to win 5 in 5 days we have to play mostly zone IMO with a lot of focus on who we don't want shooting the ball.  We can also implement some box and one principles.   Changing strategy can refresh teams.  Give them a new lease on life so to speak.  And momentum can be a funny thing.  If something starts working then you have guys playing harder in the scheme. 

2.  In conjunction with the zone, we need to sit Taylor to start the game.  When we struggle to shoot as it is, lets put Jack in to start the ballgame.  Lets come out with Tai, Watson, Jack, Morrow and Jake.  Gives us a little more offense and a little more length in the zone.  And lets get Roby and Horne ready to come in asap.  Roby needs to play a lot in said zone as his length is a great fit for this defense.  Horne also can be hidden in a zone and ride him if he looks good on offense.  If not, give his minutes away quickly.  Sitting Taylor also gives us a natural rotation to use when Watson or Tai need a blow.  I cannot envision either positively or negatively how Jordy fits with the zone scheme.  No problem using him for minutes so long as he is playing well.  Ride him if he is, bench quickly if he is not. 

3.  MARK THE SHOOTERS WE DONT WANT TO BE SHOOTING.  Cannot be stressed enough and this is critical tournament basketball concept. 

4.  Use 15 seconds or so and then get in the offense so long as we are able to get looks this way.  Watched Jacksonville st. punch a ticket doing just this and frustrating the hell out of their opponents.  If we are winning 5 in 5 we need to get rest.  This is a way to help do that. 

5.  Don't be afraid to use a 2-3 or match up zone.  Just because we haven't done much of it doesn't matter.  They aren't overly complicated defenses and the power of fresh minds and confidence are huge for us.  We are better than we have played of late.  Any bit of success, even if a bit random or fluky can go miles in a tournament setting. 

6.  Switch defenses constantly.  Again a strategy switch.  Anything fresh that gives us a chance to mentally engage rather than getting beat with the same old thing. 

7.  Let Roby free.  Play him a bunch.  I think back to Shields freshman year.  He rose onto the scene in a huge way in this tournament.  Would love to see Roby make any sort of step that remotely resembles that. 

8.  Tai Watson Jack Roby Morrow Jake Horne Jordy Taylor in that order for minute allocation.  I would also not play Taylor unless absolutely necessary.  Feel like he was sort of fools gold for us in a way this year.  We need guys that can shoot the ball out there and live with some of the flaws for the greater good(IE opening up some driving lanes that have been erased)

These are some of the ideas I have.  Would like to hear some of yours. 

Edited by royalfan

6 hours ago, royalfan said:

Go to almost all zone defense.

Penn St is a great opponent to work the kinks out on.

Whenever Jordy is in the game we make a very concerted effort to get him the ball in the post. To me, it makes a lot of sense to put him into the game when the offense is either gassed/stalled or else we need to go on a defensive run and he can put in all the effort on the offensive side. 

10 hours ago, royalfan said:

I would also not play Taylor unless absolutely necessary. 

To me Taylor is an offensively limited player who at his best makes everyone else on the team better and is able to take away another team's offensive threat.

I'm not real sure either is happening right now.

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Penn St is a great opponent to work the kinks out on.

Whenever Jordy is in the game we make a very concerted effort to get him the ball in the post. To me, it makes a lot of sense to put him into the game when the offense is either gassed/stalled or else we need to go on a defensive run and he can put in all the effort on the offensive side. 

Agree with this a lot.  If we have Morrow, I hate seeing him come off the bench.  Start the guy.  Jordy's weight alone is pretty damned effective against tired defenders.  

OR WE COULD F@#CKING PLAY MORROW AND JORDY AT THE SAME TIME JUST ONCE AND OVERWHELM SOMEONE ELSE'S FRONT COURT FOR A CHANGE.  

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

To me Taylor is an offensively limited player who at his best makes everyone else on the team better and is able to take away another team's offensive threat.

Was pleasantly surprised with Taylor until the last 6 games or so.   Role player, knew his role.   He's been remarkably bad the last couple games.   Not just shooting wise, but defense, dumb fouls, bad turnovers, missed layups, etc

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Yeah, it isn't really his fault that he isn't skilled enough to be playing in the Big 10.   He has exceeded expectations big time for the most part.  Possibly too much so, as the crashing back to earth and seeing so many minutes is now hurting us.   Bring him in for a couple minutes here or there to hold down the fort on defense while Tai or Watson need a blow is most he should be playing.  Even then, if we are playing zone, he shouldn't have to play. 

Nebraska has had such a small margin for error going into the season... then Gill got hurt, & then Morrow... and just as soon as he showed significant promise, Roby.

Well, it's CONFERENCE TOURNEY TIME... chuck out the bathwater, keep the baby Huskers in there. Now that NU has at least has 2 of those 3 thoroughbreds (that had been hurt) back in there. Run the sh!t out of PSU. Play a lineup with Glynn, Tai, Zay, Eddie, & Jack. Fast-break, shoot some threes, crash the glass. DO IT!!!!!

13 hours ago, royalfan said:

6.  Switch defenses constantly.  Again a strategy switch.  Anything fresh that gives us a chance to mentally engage rather than getting beat with the same old thing. 

I forgot that last night we rolled out a 2-2-1 zone press towards the end of the game. I don't think it really did a whole lot other than slow them down....maybe turned them over once. 

21 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I forgot that last night we roll out a 2-2-1 zone press towards the end of the game. I don't think it really did a whole lot other than slow them down....maybe turned them over once. 

It was actually frustrating to see it rolled out so late unless we were already working on it for the post season.

Watch from 45min - 1:05 or so.  This is the only game I remember Jordy and Morrow playing together.  It was to start the second half against KU.  The rotation went:

Jordy - Jacobson (1st sub)

Morrow - Jordy (2nd sub)

It's not a coincidence that we were competitive during that stretch.  Plain as day that Jordy and Morrow are our two best front court players and that Jacobson is an absolute coach's dream off the bench for fresh minutes.  Losing Gill really hurt our overall athleticism at the guard position defensively too.  Ugh.  

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nebraska has had such a small margin for error going into the season... then Gill got hurt, & then Morrow... and just as soon as he showed significant promise, Roby.

Well, it's CONFERENCE TOURNEY TIME... chuck out the bathwater, keep the baby Huskers in there. Now that NU has at least has 2 of those 3 thoroughbreds (that had been hurt) back in there. Run the sh!t out of PSU. Play a lineup with Glynn, Tai, Zay, Eddie, & Jack. Fast-break, shoot some threes, crash the glass. DO IT!!!!!

This would be intriguing to see given a chance.  

26 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Coming to Sioux Falls to watch uno play was refreshing.  Going to stick around and see if they can go dancing.  Brutal loss for smith in an electric jammed packed environment.  Think the end was only time they trailed.  

I'm jealous. Tomorrow is gonna be a blast. Gonna be a hostile environment for UNO, hell it'd be a hostile environment for any team. 12,000 fans on hand and gonna swing 95% SDSU. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle
I suck at spelling