uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 30 - vs. Michigan

10 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I don't know...

We're 14/14 in 3pt defense and 13/14 in our own 3pt %. Teams almost shoot 41% from 3 against us - and we don't have someone shooting that high individually. 

So I'm not sure if anything matters. We just suck.

I hate to be the guy who says "I told you so" but last summer, I kept pointing out how we were lacking guards and shooters and how we had a glut of guys 6'6" to 6'8".  And I said we need to use one of the scholarship vacancies to bring in a guard and some of the posters here poo-pooed me and said we needed another big or whatever.

And here we are with nobody on the roster shooting as well from 3 as whole teams are averaging against us.

It's hard to argue with the above conclusion that we just suck.

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Derrick Walton was yelling at Wagner when they were up 20 on us. Do you think our records would be the same if we swapped Derrick Walton and Glynn Watson? Do you think Walton would have just sat there and thought boo-hoo, no one can make a shot so I'm going to sit here and feel sorry for myself? 

Watson is one of the best individual players on this team; there is a lot of talent and drive there. I think @basketballjones is straight on with being disappointed about Watson's lack of ability to lead anyone to being better; these last 3 games illustrate how much we're missing that on the floor.

Would we be better?  Maybe.   But I certainly don't Watson's floor general ability is even anywhere close to our number 1 issue right now.  

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I hate to be the guy who says "I told you so" but last summer, I kept pointing out how we were lacking guards and shooters and how we had a glut of guys 6'6" to 6'8".  And I said we need to use one of the scholarship vacancies to bring in a guard and some of the posters here poo-pooed me and said we needed another big or whatever.

And here we are with nobody on the roster shooting as well from 3 as whole teams are averaging against us.

It's hard to argue with the above conclusion that we just suck.

Evan Taylor was a very serviceable addition late. Now, if Anton Gill hadn't been hurt, NU would've been A LOT better defending the threes. Before he went down, opponents had 5 threes a game, afterwards, it was nearly 10!!!

11 hours ago, nustudent said:

Would we be better?  Maybe.   But I certainly don't Watson's floor general ability is even anywhere close to our number 1 issue right now.  

A vocal, hold your teammates accountable, floor general cures a lot of problems. 

But, I don't disagree with you in general. When you're that bad from 3 and that bad guarding the 3 - something might be structurally wrong. Our statistical output (or lack thereof), seems more like an anomaly than it does a lack of skill. Glynn can shoot. Tai got significantly better. McVeigh can shoot. Jacobson looks like he has all the tools. Heck, even Evan Taylor's stroke looked relatively pure. 

Something is wrong when guys systematically can't make shots in game. Do they feel unsure in their role? Do they know if they're "allowed" to shoot? Are their expected types and areas of shots the offense is supposed to get but they don't seem to be happening? Does your defense not gel with the type of pace you want to play defensively? Lots of possible issues.

Edited by basketballjones

There was a moment in the game...Where Horne had made a mistake...maybe even two...took a bad shot/missed a shot, might not have been that bad...and he missed an assignment on defense...and the camera focused on him while he was running up the court...he looked to the bench.

Now, there might not be anything to it...but if you look to the bench if you make a mistake....can you play to your fullest or are you too worried about playing time that you think too much and make too many mistakes.

7 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

There was a moment in the game...Where Horne had made a mistake...maybe even two...took a bad shot/missed a shot, might not have been that bad...and he missed an assignment on defense...and the camera focused on him while he was running up the court...he looked to the bench.

Now, there might not be anything to it...but if you look to the bench if you make a mistake....can you play to your fullest or are you too worried about playing time that you think too much and make too many mistakes.

...or he could have been getting instructions.

Whenever a coach is on the hot seat or is likely to get fired the fan base will start searching for reasons to dislike the coach, and if it is a personal issue all the better, because it makes it easier for them to feel good about the firing.

12 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Something is wrong when guys systematically can't make shots in game. Do they feel unsure in their role? Do they know if they're "allowed" to shoot? Are their expected types and areas of shots the offense is supposed to get but they don't seem to be happening? Does your defense not gel with the type of pace you want to play defensively? Lots of possible issues.

I think a big part of the problem is fit.  I don't think we have a specific plan we recruit to.  I think Miles just gets the best guys he can.  I think the football team has had a similar problem.  If I had a team that was chock full of guys 6-6 to 6-8 that couldn't guard guards, I would think I would run a zone and pressure the ball the whole way up the floor and try to get out in transition.  Instead we double the post and are slow to rotate and close out and get killed by open 3s.  Then we walk the ball up and have trouble scoring in the half court.  I don't think it's a coincidence that we look WAAAAAY better in games where we get opportunities to get out and run.  But it can't help a guy like Jack or Jeriah when Morrow gets to take all the terrible shots in the paint he wants when he has 3 guys hanging all over him and they get yanked after 1 mistake.