uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 30 - vs. Michigan

24 minutes ago, mwm89 said:

I would bet that Gdowski was probably a little faster (at least) and was a little more consistent with his throwing.  I'll admit I'm too lazy to look that up to see if it's the case.  That and I'm not in a good place to do that right now.

Wasn't Gdowski a big track guy in high school?  I remember that he had really good speed.

Ugh.  I've been a Miles apologist since he got here.  In my dream world, he'd be promoted to an assistant AD position because I honestly see that as his strong point--great ambassador, incredible seller, cool dude who sees the big picture.

Watching last night, my belief in his in-game abilities as a coach and basketball philosopher are truly waning.  The talent we have on our roster should keep us in every game.  I was never going to be basing this season on W/L, but more along the lines of what I saw as signs of improvement.  I saw those signs at the beginning of the year against UCLA, KU, Creighton (for a half), then later in the year versus Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, and Purdue.  

But then we had our Gardner Webb and Rutgers games.  Then we had the end of the regular season with blowout after blowout.  It's impossible to defend or pass it off as youth.  The end of the season's struggles have been because of coaching--something is awry and the team has been lost.  

I'll go on the record saying I'm okay with Miles being here next season to coach one of the most talented rosters Nebraska has ever had because it was his staff's crazy work ethic on the road that created this massive change in talent.  That said, if the feelers do go out...

I'd be on board with Gottfried.  His firing is absurd given he's made the tournament 5 out of the last 6 years with NC State, two of which were Sweet 16's.  Ridiculous.  And it's no fluke--the guy took Bama to the Elite 8 before NC State.  He's an outstanding coach and great recruiter.  

The Gregg Marshall, Dana Altman, Kelvin Sampson wants are simply not possible.  These are all coaches who have earned restructured contracts running several years down the road.  Gottfried doesn't have a gig, but he'll be swooped up extremely fast.  Interesting times.

Hopefully we'll just win the B1G Tournament so there's nothing to talk about.  We have everyone right where we want them.  

14 hours ago, hal9000 said:

Can we tabulate Big 10 opponents 3 point percentage in the Pinnacle Bank for this year?  I mean, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.  They weren't all open threes.  

Answering my own question here.  Opponents 3pt % at Pinnacle Bank = 45.5 (81-178).  Opponents 3pt % when we played them at their gym.   39.7% (70-176)

When you have a young team the best defense to run is a zone because it doesn't requiring dissecting what to do with a team that runs a lot screens. How many times was Glynn caught in mismatch down low with one of their bigs.

It seems we were fairly effect with our 1-3-1 this season. 

On offense we needed to attack down low more often with Ed, Jordy, and Michael. The way you hurt a 3pt shooting team is take away their legs by making them work hard on defense. We did not do that.

15 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Once the game began, nothing was right. Nothing. The defense was as bad as I've ever seen it. This isn't the team I watched for the first 24 or so games of the season. For the first three quarters of the season, this team competed. They played good defense, they played semi competent offenseively, they played hard. They did none of those things today. I can't tell you why. Coach struggled with it in his post game. Did they wear down? Did everything since AW3 left catch up to them? Was everything we saw since November a mirage? Even the first time they played Michigan they were a much different team. The team we saw on the floor today had no direction.

There has been a lot of focus on Miles because of the questions about his job but what about the players? The story about Taylor chewing out Miles for not getting Webster his 10 points sort of makes you wonder how much noise all of these guys get from the outside and how much it's effecting them.  

27 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

There has been a lot of focus on Miles because of the questions about his job but what about the players? The story about Taylor chewing out Miles for not getting Webster his 10 points sort of makes you wonder how much noise all of these guys get from the outside and how much it's effecting them.  

Exactly why I brought up the article late last night... It boggles the mind how much sh!t the players deal with *off* the court.... smh

23 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Oh, I'm sure. These guys don't live in a vacuum. I just think it was an accumulation of things that led to this precipitous decline we've seen the last couple of weeks, specifically. Then the argument could be made that Lee's article calling for Miles to keep his job was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. This season stands out among many as perhaps the biggest "What if" season in program history, or at least in the modern era (since the field expanded to 64 teams). Perhaps the 1996 campaign is right there with it.

10 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

This season stands out among many as perhaps the biggest "What if" season in program history, or at least in the modern era (since the field expanded to 64 teams). Perhaps the 1996 campaign is right there with it.

Really? The tragic 2014-15 team is easily more What-if to me than this team.  What if Leslee didn't tear up his knee? What if TP's mother wasn't dying? What if Pitch cared?

24 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Really? The tragic 2014-15 team is easily more What-if to me than this team.  What if Leslee didn't tear up his knee? What if TP's mother wasn't dying? What if Pitch cared?

Nah, I think this year has more "What if's" to me.

- What if AW3 comes back (and is all in)?

- What if they beat Clemson?

- What if Gill doesn't blow out his knee?

- What if Tai doesn't go vegan? (I'm serious about this one.)

- What if Ed doesn't miss half the conference season?

- What if Glynn doesn't fall down vs. Ohio State or Tai gets the Rebound vs. Rutgers?

One cascades into the next.

6 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Nah, I think this year has more "What if's" to me.

- What if AW3 comes back (and is all in)?

- What if they beat Clemson?

- What if Gill doesn't blow out his knee?

- What if Tai doesn't go vegan? (I'm serious about this one.)

- What if Ed doesn't miss half the conference season?

- What if Glynn doesn't fall down vs. Ohio State or Tai gets the Rebound vs. Rutgers?

One cascades into the next.

And it's quite possible that next year people would be saying "what if we fired/didn't fire Coach Miles?"

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

What's been up with Watson the last few games? Is it as simple as everyone else is denying him to his right and he's checking out?

I'm very disappointed in Watson. When he came in I thought we were getting a true "point guard." Old school, lead your team, get everyone right, hit big shots and FTs, consistent stalwart of the team. 

He's been up and down, hot and cold... Does not seem to want to lead vocally... Doesn't seem to have a "bird's eye view" of the offense, plays, and strategy (although, that can definitely be on TM). Seems just more like a "Rey Gallegos" - guy you need to play PG because of his size/skill - but just does not have the PG intangibles. DEFINITELY HOPE I AM WRONG...... 

5 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I'm very disappointed in Watson. When he came in I thought we were getting a true "point guard." Old school, lead your team, get everyone right, hit big shots and FTs, consistent stalwart of the team. 

He's been up and down, hot and cold... Does not seem to want to lead vocally... Doesn't seem to have a "bird's eye view" of the offense, plays, and strategy (although, that can definitely be on TM). Seems just more like a "Rey Gallegos" - guy you need to play PG because of his size/skill - but just does not have the PG intangibles. DEFINITELY HOPE I AM WRONG...... 

How much more does Glynn look like a true point guard if we had guys who could hit open shots when he passes them the ball

56 minutes ago, nustudent said:

How much more does Glynn look like a true point guard if we had guys who could hit open shots when he passes them the ball

Truer words have never been written. Although, Glynn *desperately* needs to develop his left hand, drive left, shoot lefty layups. I'm serious. He's a dead-ball righty, and EVERYBODY knows it by now.... smh

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

I don't know...

We're 14/14 in 3pt defense and 13/14 in our own 3pt %. Teams almost shoot 41% from 3 against us - and we don't have someone shooting that high individually. 

So I'm not sure if anything matters. We just suck.

11 hours ago, nustudent said:

Derrick Walton was yelling at Wagner when they were up 20 on us. Do you think our records would be the same if we swapped Derrick Walton and Glynn Watson? Do you think Walton would have just sat there and thought boo-hoo, no one can make a shot so I'm going to sit here and feel sorry for myself? 

Watson is one of the best individual players on this team; there is a lot of talent and drive there. I think @basketballjones is straight on with being disappointed about Watson's lack of ability to lead anyone to being better; these last 3 games illustrate how much we're missing that on the floor.