uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 30 - vs. Michigan

Just my opinion on the Steve Taylor thing - memory serves that if you go back and watch games of him at QB, he loved to keep the ball himself on options. To the point where my friends and I would refer to him as Steve "Hogball" Taylor. (Yes, it was hogball instead of ball hog - inside joke). Anyway, I remember him as a pretty selfish player and he should keep his thoughts to himself, like he did with the football way too often. The streak was nice and represented a good season, but means absolutely nothing in the big picture.

To me, this is the interesting part of the article as I've yet to see any of the interviews

“We could never get a string of stops put together,” said Roby, who matched center Ed Morrow for team-scoring honors with 10 points. “Every time they made a shot, it took our whole team morale down.”

WTF did they talk about when prepping for this game?  Michigan makes shot.  You cannot stop them from making shots.  They will make shots. Why is this a demoralizing surprise to our players?

However, they won't make them all. You can force them to take bad shots and they will miss some of those. You can frustrate them into thinking all they will get is bad shots.  You can make shots on them. You can out rebound them.  You can outwork them.  

What exactly did we game plan over the last 3 days?

1 hour ago, demone said:

Just my opinion on the Steve Taylor thing - memory serves that if you go back and watch games of him at QB, he loved to keep the ball himself on options. To the point where my friends and I would refer to him as Steve "Hogball" Taylor. (Yes, it was hogball instead of ball hog - inside joke). Anyway, I remember him as a pretty selfish player and he should keep his thoughts to himself, like he did with the football way too often. The streak was nice and represented a good season, but means absolutely nothing in the big picture.

His Senior year and probably his Junior year, Taylor was the second best QB on the team...Nobody realized it until Gdowski started for one year after he graduated.

33 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

His Senior year and probably his Junior year, Taylor was the second best QB on the team...Nobody realized it until Gdowski started for one year after he graduated.

I could not agree with this more - I will go to my grave believing that had Gdowski been given the same starts, he would go down as a top 3 quarterback in the history of the program.

×  You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×  Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×  Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

As everyone probably knows, I don't generally like complaining about coaches and I don't join the angry mob with pitchforks in hand wanting to run the current coach out of town on a rail.

So, with that background, one thing that stood out to me last night is that the Michigan players understood their offense and knew where the shots were going to come from. 

I'm not sure our players have ever really understood that under Miles.

Just to kind of provide context, I remember sitting in on practices with Doc Sadler and he would point to spots on the floor where, in a given sequence we would be running, the offensive opportunities would happen.  What action leads to what kind of shot opportunity where on the floor.

I think the kids from Michigan could answer that question; I'm not sure our Husker players really could.

Having guys like Petteway, who were able to create their own shots, helped conceal the fact that there doesn't appear to be a systematic way of creating open looks with this offense.

I really thought it was special for Tai to have his National Athem played, I think it was a surprise too.

And one of my sons asked why can't we have senior day after the game?  It just throws everything off too much.  Even if it was a blow out it would have been better the the rushed feelig you get when they do it before the game.

58 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

To me, this is the interesting part of the article as I've yet to see any of the interviews

WTF did they talk about when prepping for this game?  Michigan makes shot.  You cannot stop them from making shots.  They will make shots. Why is this a demoralizing surprise to our players?

However, they won't make them all. You can force them to take bad shots and they will miss some of those. You can frustrate them into thinking all they will get is bad shots.  You can make shots on them. You can out rebound them.  You can outwork them.  

What exactly did we game plan over the last 3 days?

It's a freshman who isn't interviewed that often, he probably didn't know else to say. smh

21 minutes ago, demone said:

I could not agree with this more - I will go to my grave believing that had Gdowski been given the same starts, he would go down as a top 3 quarterback in the history of the program.

Gerry Gdowski had one of the best Senior seasons. It's too bad he didn't play more, earlier in his career. He's doing big things as an offensive coordinator, whereas Nebraska is stuck with "Taylor Made" commentary which wreaks of self-loathing.

11 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

It's a freshman who isn't interviewed that often, he probably didn't know else to say. smh

My intention isn't at all to call out Roby (who was up there because he was one of the few bright spots out there)  However, for him to say that I have to think at no point was there a discussion on how they would realistically beat Michigan. I'm going to listen to the tape and see if I missed something just reading the quote.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

My intention isn't at all to call out Roby (who was up there because he was one of the few bright spots out there)  However, for him to say that I have to think at no point was there a discussion on how they would realistically beat Michigan. I'm going to listen to the tape and see if I missed something just reading the quote.

I didn't think you were calling him out... I honestly don't think Roby knew what to say. It was the worst home loss in the history of Husker hoops. Just bruuuuuuuutal.

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

I didn't think you were calling him out... I honestly don't think Roby knew what to say. It was the worst home loss in the history of Husker hoops. Just bruuuuuuuutal.

Just listened to it. Basically parrotting what was talked about after the game.

Those player quotes are a little hard to get a read on because a lot of them tend to be taking a leading question and just building on it.

So they talked after the game about how they went in the tank after each Michigan shot went in. Did they talk about it before the game?

21 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Guessing it is a context thing.   They were going to make shots.  But shots on top of shots on top of shots.   Seemed like they would go minutes at a time without missing and every time they made another after the one before it became increasingly demoralizing.

Edited by nustudent

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Guessing it is a context thing.   They were going to make shots.  But shots on top of shots on top of shots.   Seemed like they would go minutes at a time without missing and every time they made another after the one before it became increasingly demoralizing.

And losing 3 times by a point doesn't help, neither does losing 12 of 15 games... mentally fatigued.

43 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

×  You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×  Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×  Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

As everyone probably knows, I don't generally like complaining about coaches and I don't join the angry mob with pitchforks in hand wanting to run the current coach out of town on a rail.

So, with that background, one thing that stood out to me last night is that the Michigan players understood their offense and knew where the shots were going to come from. 

I'm not sure our players have ever really understood that under Miles.

Just to kind of provide context, I remember sitting in on practices with Doc Sadler and he would point to spots on the floor where, in a given sequence we would be running, the offensive opportunities would happen.  What action leads to what kind of shot opportunity where on the floor.

I think the kids from Michigan could answer that question; I'm not sure our Husker players really could.

Having guys like Petteway, who were able to create their own shots, helped conceal the fact that there doesn't appear to be a systematic way of creating open looks with this offense.

I like offenses that create good shots...rather than relying on players to try to create good shots.

Doc had his failings...but I would tell anyone that would listen that his offense would create good shots...he just didn't have the players to make those shots.

If you are going to rely on athletes to create offense rather than a system...you better have the best athletes in the conference....

It is why I would look for a system coach....someone that has to grind out an offense where he is at...not someone who has the best players in his current league...because that will never ever happen at Nebraska.

7 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I like offenses that create good shots...rather than relying on players to try to create good shots.

Doc had his failings...but I would tell anyone that would listen that his offense would create good shots...he just didn't have the players to make those shots.

If you are going to rely on athletes to create offense rather than a system...you better have the best athletes in the conference....

It is why I would look for a system coach....someone that has to grind out an offense where he is at...not someone who has the best players in his current league...because that will never ever happen at Nebraska.

Well not legally at least.:huh:

1 hour ago, demone said:

I would bet that Gdowski was probably a little faster (at least) and was a little more consistent with his throwing.  I'll admit I'm too lazy to look that up to see if it's the case.  That and I'm not in a good place to do that right now.