uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 30 - vs. Michigan

There was nothing that felt normal about this game. Even before it started, it felt strange. This was the valley to the peak that was No Sit Sunday. Like this day, NSS was unseasonably warm. Unlike today, it was also brilliantly bright. The sun was out, the party was on. Today was somber and dreary. The drum corp that played in front of PBA before the game started couldn't have been more out of place. In the building, there was a sense of dread, it was ominous. Miles and Eichorst shared a big hug right before the Senior Day celebration began. That seemed unwarranted given the atmosphere around the program the past couple of weeks.

Once the game began, nothing was right. Nothing. The defense was as bad as I've ever seen it. This isn't the team I watched for the first 24 or so games of the season. For the first three quarters of the season, this team competed. They played good defense, they played semi competent offenseively, they played hard. They did none of those things today. I can't tell you why. Coach struggled with it in his post game. Did they wear down? Did everything since AW3 left catch up to them? Was everything we saw since November a mirage? Even the first time they played Michigan they were a much different team. The team we saw on the floor today had no direction.

Today was just sad. Sad because we had to say goodbye to a great player today. The performance they put on the floor was such a disparate sendoff to everything Tai represented. NU will have a huge gap to fill next season. You hope that the trials this group went through this year will be a terrific education for what they'll face next year and beyond. I believe this group is very talented and will only become even more so when they add what they add next season. The way they finished this season sounds alarms, though.

I don't know what happens next. I really don't. I still believe the future is very bright. The moment is pretty dim, though.

Edited by uneblinstu

Utterly dispicable. It would be one thing if we were playing hard and just missing shots, but we have just been fundamentally poor on both ends of the floor. I don't know exactly what is going on with this team, but I gotta think there's some resistance between the staff and the players because there has been 0 response from the team the last few games. It's a damn shame. 

The drummers at halftime were pretty good. I could do without the jackets wrapped around the waists of the Scarletts.  That's not really a look I dig.  But then, some of them don't really rock the spandex look either.

I was impressed with the younger official doing warmups before the game.  He's in shape.  And, I would strenuously note that no one is blaming the refs tonight, so I wish all you ref defenders would quit with the old canard that we always blame the refs when we lose.  Clearly that's not true.

Edited by Norm Peterson

49 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

There was nothing that felt normal about this game. Even before it started, it felt strange. This was the valley to the peak that was No Sit Sunday. Like this day, NSS was unseasonably warm. Unlike today, it was also brilliantly bright. The sun was out, the party was on. Today was somber and dreary. The drum corp that played in front of PBA before the game started couldn't have been more out of place. In the building, there was a sense of dread, it was ominous. Miles and Eichorst shared a big hug right before the Senior Day celebration began. That seemed unwarranted given the atmosphere around the program the past couple of weeks.

Once the game began, nothing was right. Nothing. The defense was as bad as I've ever seen it. This isn't the team I watched for the first 24 or so games of the season. For the first three quarters of the season, this team competed. They played good defense, they played semi competent offenseively, they played hard. They did none of those things today. I can't tell you why. Coach struggled with it in his post game. Did they wear down? Did everything since AW3 left catch up to them? Was everything we saw since November a mirage? Even the first time they played Michigan they were a much different team. The team we saw on the floor today had no direction.

Today was just sad. Sad because we had to say goodbye to a great player today. The performance they put on the floor was such a disparate sendoff to everything Tai represented. NU will have a huge gap to fill next season. You hope that the trials this group went through this year will be a terrific education for what they'll face next year and beyond. I believe this group is very talented and will only become even more so when they add what they add next season. The way they finished this season sounds alarms, though.

I don't know what happens next. I really don't. I still believe the future is very bright. The moment is pretty dim, though.

Sad is putting it nicely.  Nice thing is, yes we lose Tai who did a lot for us, but each year we've lost our leader and someone new has stepped in.  Someone will again next year.

I'm not here supporting the idea to fire Miles. I've just really tried to get out of that cycle and remove myself from those discussions. But what I will say is, as an outsider viewing these coaching firing cycles, I don't think he makes it out of this. 

Feel like I've seen this enough now, and generally been a fan of sports long enough, to see this doesn't end well. 

It has to be a damn one hour prep for coaches to figure out how to scheme for us defensively. Put your best defender on Tai. Don't let Glynn go right (because he cant drive/pull up to his left). Let literally anyone take 3's. Play behind the bigs and let Jordy, Ed, or MJ either convert, miss, or turn the ball over by bringing it down, dribbling too much, etc. And...that's pretty much it. Holy hell we need a shooter. You suck AW3

51 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I'm not here supporting the idea to fire Miles. I've just really tried to get out of that cycle and remove myself from those discussions. But what I will say is, as an outsider viewing these coaching firing cycles, I don't think he makes it out of this. 

Feel like I've seen this enough now, and generally been a fan of sports long enough, to see this doesn't end well. 

There is no question you are right about how this typically tends to go.  Typically it would end with a loss Wednesday as well.  So damn frustrating to see seasons go off the rails with seemingly no hope to turn it around.  Will to win completely jumped ship for whatever reason.  But something is very toxic.