Is this the same team ...

2 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I'm truly living in an alternative universe.  Lee writes an article in support of Miles, taking shots at SE and Boehm, and somehow that makes the team clutch up and play like it's that time of the month for each and everyone of them?

That's part two of living in this messed up universe.  There's a frickin" coloring book out called Toni the Tampon which says men get periods, too.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/sarah-stites/2017/03/06/

I just need to get drunk and stay that way til sanity returns to my universe....

Yeah...I'm not clicking on that link...

Edited by uneblinstu

12 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I'm truly living in an alternative universe.  Lee writes an article in support of Miles, taking shots at SE and Boehm, and somehow that makes the team clutch up and play like it's that time of the month for each and everyone of them?

That's part two of living in this messed up universe.  There's a frickin" coloring book out called Toni the Tampon which says men get periods, too.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/sarah-stites/2017/03/06/toni-tampon-coloring-book-reminds-kids-men-get-periods-too

I just need to get drunk and stay that way til sanity returns to my universe....

Your characterization leaves out an important angle.  Yeah, Lee writes an article supporting Miles and taking shots at SE.  Who is this SE person and why do we care what he thinks?

Oh, yeah, he's the frickin' AD of the frickin' University of Nebraska in what should be an alternative universe but is, in fact, real frickin' life.

And, as AD of the frickin' University of Nebraska, this SE person has the power to hire, and more pertinent, to FIRE head coaches.

And when the AD won't say that he won't can your coach, I think it's understandable for players on the team to clutch up and play tight or scared or whatever.  Certainly not relaxed and loose.

I posted the two videos in the OP.  Watch them.  We beat rpi #21 Dayton on a neutral floor by being aggressive, confident and loose.  We lost to rpi #59 Illinois at HOME by 16 points because ...

They don't even look like the same team to me.

Edited by Norm Peterson

10 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think it was that Shawn E wouldn't answer a question to confirm that Miles' job is safe.  Without looking, I think that's what it was.

That's a house of cards built on Lee having the choice to write or not write anything he wants.

That being said, Shawn should have anticipated that this would be coming because after the no contract meeting from this summer what the heck else did you expect?

Is Shawn also going to anticipate that if he fires Miles it that Lee B is going to rain down fire on him firing a guy who has embodied his student first manta?  Will he anticipate that if a new coach comes in and has the same kind of first year as Riley/Williams with the talent here that the focus of Miles being the problem then shifts squarely on him?

if he doesn't have someone "better" immediately lined up for this job firing Miles this year and shifting everything onto himself is something a fool would do.  Is this man a fool or not? 

1 hour ago, jason2486 said:

I could definitely listen to the argument that those 2 articles by the OWH put unnecessary pressure on 18-22 yo college kids. Who knows what crossed their mind. They do appear to have played scared since those came out. For whatever reason, they are doubting themselves, their coaches, or both.

If they were susceptible  to the pressures of the OWH articles this year, next year's pressure to make the NCAA tourney may put them in a catatonic state.  

21 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

If they were susceptible  to the pressures of the OWH articles this year, next year's pressure to make the NCAA tourney may put them in a catatonic state.  

I think that's a reasonable fear.  Every early season loss will feel magnified.  Will there be a point in the season where they'll feel they can go out and just play?

Maybe I'm making too much of it, but there was clearly a difference between the team that took the floor in Columbus on 2/18 and picked up a road win and the team that lost at home to Illinois by 16 just a week later.

46 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I posted the two videos in the OP.  Watch them.  We beat rpi #21 Dayton on a neutral floor by being aggressive, confident and loose.  We lost to rpi #59 Illinois at HOME by 16 points because ...

because the Russians hacked their Ipods just like they hacked the football teams' Ipods to make them collapse at the end of the season.  Damned Russians say they will be the only Big Red in the world. 

I kid because I care.  Norm, sometimes crap happens.  There's not always a specific cause and effect.....

One big difference between the wins and losses, from crunching the numbers.

In the 12 wins, Glynn Watson was 24-42 from 3 point range, for 57.1 %, and was below 50% for a game 3 times (Mary, 0-1; Lousiana Tech, 0-4; South Dakota, 0-2).

In the 18 losses, Watson was 23-77 from 3 point range, for 29.9 %, and was above 50% for a game 3 times (Kansas, 1-1; @ Michigan, 4-7; Wisconsin, 2-3).

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

In the 12 wins, Glynn Watson was 24-42 from 3 point range, for 57.1 %, and was below 50% for a game 3 times (Mary, 0-1; Lousiana Tech, 0-4; South Dakota, 0-2).

In the 18 losses, Watson was 23-77 from 3 point range, for 29.9 %, and was above 50% for a game 3 times (Kansas, 1-1; @ Michigan, 4-7; Wisconsin, 2-3).

I guess that's one of the most frustrating things about Glynn: sometimes he shot a lot from deep, sometimes he barely shot at all. Need consistency from your scorers.

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Guessing you could probably draw a similar comparison with all of our players in our wins vs. losses.

As far as Norm's original question....I think the answer is very clearly no...it is not the same time.   I think there are a number of reasons for it.

IMO.....

1.  Confidence.   As the losses mounted, some of the care free play goes away.   You second guess yourself.   Clearly not playing the same.   

2.  Health.   Not a big fan of the injury excuse.   But I think even when we got Ed back, despite a few wins, we never had the same chemistry we had when he went out to begin with.

3.  Roles.    Think we struggled to define roles for guys.   Playing time for McVeigh, Roby, Horne changed periodically.   Between MJ, Jordy and Ed down the stretch, their roles changed.  We struggled to push the right buttons down the stretch.   I think this impacted the chemistry of the team.

4.  Defensive Philosophy.    Very clearly an issue here and a flawed approach to things.   It hasn't just been this year, but really mounted down the stretch.   

5.  Added scouting.    Big 10 is full of good coaches.   Early on, a lot wasn't known about some of our guys and what we would do.   Down the stretch it became very obvious that we aren't a good shooting team.   We also aren't a great interior post team.   Big 10 coaches can exploit that.     Combined with the fact that we are easy to defend and aren't very good defensively....that's not a good recipe.

43 minutes ago, nustudent said:

As far as Norm's original question....I think the answer is very clearly no...it is not the same time.   I think there are a number of reasons for it.

IMO.....

1.  Confidence.   As the losses mounted, some of the care free play goes away.   You second guess yourself.   Clearly not playing the same.   

2.  Health.   Not a big fan of the injury excuse.   But I think even when we got Ed back, despite a few wins, we never had the same chemistry we had when he went out to begin with.

3.  Roles.    Think we struggled to define roles for guys.   Playing time for McVeigh, Roby, Horne changed periodically.   Between MJ, Jordy and Ed down the stretch, their roles changed.  We struggled to push the right buttons down the stretch.   I think this impacted the chemistry of the team.

4.  Defensive Philosophy.    Very clearly an issue here and a flawed approach to things.   It hasn't just been this year, but really mounted down the stretch.   

5.  Added scouting.    Big 10 is full of good coaches.   Early on, a lot wasn't known about some of our guys and what we would do.   Down the stretch it became very obvious that we aren't a good shooting team.   We also aren't a great interior post team.   Big 10 coaches can exploit that.     Combined with the fact that we are easy to defend and aren't very good defensively....that's not a good recipe.

I think that's a reasonable analysis.  And I don't necessarily disagree with any of it.  Thanks for getting things back to my original question.

People would have freaked out if Daum would have been given a ship. He was almost run out of SDSU his redshirt year. Give the kid credit for working hard and blossoming late but I do not blame NU or CU for not going after him at all.

Hollins would be a better Taylor and Thurman could have been a nice bench player but I do not think either make us a significantly better team. I think they are at the right level and good for them on the success they have had. Wish they would have made the tourney, UNO is a fun team to watch.