Nebraska State Tournament

Merlin

One to keep an eye on? We'll see.

I found out yesterday from a few South Sioux City fans at Pinnacle Bank Arena that South Sioux sophomore McKenna Sims is on Nebraska's radar. And that NU has been up to watch her play. I would have watched her more intently had I found out that piece of information before the game instead of after. I only got to see her play in the championship against Norris where she scored 11 points. Feisty player, the program had her listed at 5'8.

54 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

Since I'm a South Dakota newby, I decided to watch some girls state basketball here.  Kind of nice they show the games on TV , not just the finals.  Also, 8th graders can play on the HS team, and they have a 35 second shot clock.

I think that the shot clock should be standard around the nation.

10 hours ago, huskerchode said:

Since I'm a South Dakota newby, I decided to watch some girls state basketball here.  Kind of nice they show the games on TV , not just the finals.  Also, 8th graders can play on the HS team, and they have a 35 second shot clock.

before the 'AA' girls combined with the boys last year, all class AA, A, B games were televised on the 3 PBS channels. this weekend includes the A's and B's with the AA girls next weekend out in Rapid City. nice to be able to "pick and choose" any game you wish----or, be able to flip back and forth. i believe the clock for the A's was recently instituted (started out just in the AA class). i believe money and training became an issue for A's and most likely the same thing for the B's. i would like to see it trickle down to the B's also. i was watching some of the Sully Buttes and Parker game-----when Sully Buttes started to extend their lead, they slowed the game way down with just passing and holding. amazing how difficult that is to watch now compared to the game with the clock. especially if you don't have the defense that can really put the pressure on. 

Madysen Vlastuin, a 6' freshman from Lennox is south dakota's next rising star. she already has offers from sdsu and ndsu. i think before she is done, at least some bigger schools will be looking (if they haven't already). she had 22pts, 10 rb's, 4 blocks, and 2 assists. 1-3 from 3pt land, and, made 11 free throws. she can do it all. imo, couple of things that stuck out to me is her athleticism along with body control for her age. that is where she may be a little ahead of some of the past sd stars in their freshman year. will be an interesting one to watch the next few years. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

before the 'AA' girls combined with the boys last year, all class AA, A, B games were televised on the 3 PBS channels. this weekend includes the A's and B's with the AA girls next weekend out in Rapid City. nice to be able to "pick and choose" any game you wish----or, be able to flip back and forth. i believe the clock for the A's was recently instituted (started out just in the AA class). i believe money and training became an issue for A's and most likely the same thing for the B's. i would like to see it trickle down to the B's also. i was watching some of the Sully Buttes and Parker game-----when Sully Buttes started to extend their lead, they slowed the game way down with just passing and holding. amazing how difficult that is to watch now compared to the game with the clock. especially if you don't have the defense that can really put the pressure on. 

Madysen Vlastuin, a 6' freshman from Lennox is south dakota's next rising star. she already has offers from sdsu and ndsu. i think before she is done, at least some bigger schools will be looking (if they haven't already). she had 22pts, 10 rb's, 4 blocks, and 2 assists. 1-3 from 3pt land, and, made 11 free throws. she can do it all. imo, couple of things that stuck out to me is her athleticism along with body control for her age. that is where she may be a little ahead of some of the past sd stars in their freshman year. will be an interesting one to watch the next few years. 

I watched most of the Vermillion game and then parts of the Lennox game after that.  I think Vermillion got lucky with all those 3s in the first half.  Lennox and the team they played (sorry, can't remember the name but the mascot was Lady Quarriers) seemed to have pretty good skill across the board, and pretty good coaching.  I think Vermillion is fairly young for a team so I don't expect them to beat Lennox, but you never know.  I'm not aware of rivalries and history during this season, so maybe it will turn out to be a good game.  The Lennox team seemed to have a lot more going for them than just 3 point shooting. I think they could beat several of the top teams in Nebraska, and they aren't even the largest class in South Dakota.

Also noticed the USD women's coach has a daughter that plays for Vermillion.  Does she also have a son on the boys' team, too?

5 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I watched most of the Vermillion game and then parts of the Lennox game after that.  I think Vermillion got lucky with all those 3s in the first half.  Lennox and the team they played (sorry, can't remember the name but the mascot was Lady Quarriers) seemed to have pretty good skill across the board, and pretty good coaching.  I think Vermillion is fairly young for a team so I don't expect them to beat Lennox, but you never know.  I'm not aware of rivalries and history during this season, so maybe it will turn out to be a good game.  The Lennox team seemed to have a lot more going for them than just 3 point shooting. I think they could beat several of the top teams in Nebraska, and they aren't even the largest class in South Dakota.

Also noticed the USD women's coach has a daughter that plays for Vermillion.  Does she also have a son on the boys' team, too?

a 6'2" junior but i don't know much about him.

just came across a comment in an article that states the shot clock will be installed in class B for the 2017-18 season. good news for sd ballers. 

i believe vermillion went on like a 9 game win streak going into the tournament. they do appear to be a little streaky with the shooting. they do appear to be able to turn up the defense when called upon. 

Yes, their defense was pretty good during the game, but they got into some foul trouble a bit in the first half.  I wondered if that was why their 3rd quarter was so poor - couldn't be quite as aggressive.  Then they turned it up a few notches again near the end.  And they finally hit some free throws late.  Their free throw shooting was abysmal for the most part.

How long have 8th graders been able to play HS ball?  I wonder if that is something Nebraska has ever considered.  Might help out some of the smaller schools - give them a bit more depth and one extra year of playing HS ball can help out in the long run.  I would rather see that and just have varsity and junior varsity teams rather than a freshman team, a reserve team, JV, then varsity.  Even some of the class A schools have a hard time filling rosters for 4 teams and have kids play on multiple teams.  Just have two teams, let 8th graders play, and have tryouts based on merit (not who your mom or dad are or which team mom and dad think you should be on).

Edited by huskerchode

49 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

Yes, their defense was pretty good during the game, but they got into some foul trouble a bit in the first half.  I wondered if that was why their 3rd quarter was so poor - couldn't be quite as aggressive.  Then they turned it up a few notches again near the end.  And they finally hit some free throws late.  Their free throw shooting was abysmal for the most part.

How long have 8th graders been able to play HS ball?  I wonder if that is something Nebraska has ever considered.  Might help out some of the smaller schools - give them a bit more depth and one extra year of playing HS ball can help out in the long run.  I would rather see that and just have varsity and junior varsity teams rather than a freshman team, a reserve team, JV, then varsity.  Even some of the class A schools have a hard time filling rosters for 4 teams and have kids play on multiple teams.  Just have two teams, let 8th graders play, and have tryouts based on merit (not who your mom or dad are or which team mom and dad think you should be on).

someone with more knowledge could correct me with this statement, but, i thought as long as 7th or 8th grader meet the scholastic requirements, they could participate on a varsity level in sd. i just don't remember seeing any 7th grader, off hand. it may have happened on the girls side, but, just can't think of any boy playing as a 7th grader. now, 8th grade participation is more prevalent in the girls basketball game than the boys. with the smaller schools, sometimes it is out of necessity and sometimes they are just at a different level. i am sure coaches are very aware that can be a tricky situation for the obvious reasons. 

anyway, yankton has an eighth grader on their boys squad--------read an article not long ago comparing him to the next mike miller. have no idea, haven't seen him or yankton play. 

btw, speaking mostly of basketball. track/cc may be another story. wouldn't surprise me if you see some 7th graders participate. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

found out a little more info on 7th and 8th grade participation. as far as the athletic association, i was told it has always been allowed----although, certain schools may regulate it differently. when i think about it, it is more prevalent in wrestling, gymnastics, and i had mentioned track in previous post. i remember jill young, who played at sdsu, playing as an 8th grader for mitchell christian, but, i forgot she also played as a 7th grader. i found out there was a mitchell, sd running back that played as an 8th grader. that was quite some time back though. 90's, i believe? i just think it is pretty rare when you are talking about the sport of football.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Great info whoopdeedoo! I spoke with an official with NSAA a few years ago year and asked him if they ever considered adding a shot clock, He told me they've talked about the that possibility but that's about as far as it got. He said in the lower class schools weren't particularly too keen on that idea and it mostly stemmed down to money; especially in smaller schools that consolidate where two and sometimes three schools take turns playing at each schools home court. Teams like Howells/Dodge and Clearwater/Orchard would have to purchase shot clocks for two gyms as a majority of these teams who consolidate with their at one time rival don't like to give up games on their own court.  

55 minutes ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Great info whoopdeedoo! I spoke with an official with NSAA a few years ago year and asked him if they ever considered adding a shot clock, He told me they've talked about the that possibility but that's about as far as it got. He said in the lower class schools weren't particularly too keen on that idea and it mostly stemmed down to money; especially in smaller schools that consolidate where two and sometimes three schools take turns playing at each schools home court. Teams like Howells/Dodge and Clearwater/Orchard would have to purchase shot clocks for two gyms as a majority of these teams who consolidate with their at one time rival don't like to give up games on their own court.  

It can't be that tough, maybe the NSAA should let go of some of their money and install them.

15 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

It can't be that tough, maybe the NSAA should let go of some of their money and install them.

came across this 2014 article from the cleveland paper on the cost breakdown (general) for adding a shot clock.http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/-1142208583492826767/shot-clocks-and-their-expenses-broken-down-basketball-by-the-numbers/

Edited by whoopdeedoo

So how does South Dakota afford it?  Watched a few games of the state tournament and it seems to go smoothly.  Refs seem right on top of any issues with resets.  It really does make a difference in the flow of the game.  

Seems odd to me that Nebraska has a million more population in a "tax me to death" state but they can't seem to scrape together enough to put a shot clock in each district.

if they would at least cut out the freshman level teams in the larger districts and the C teams in the smaller districts, the money saved on travel/coaching/games could be put toward the shot clock.

Edited by huskerchode

9 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

So how does South Dakota afford it?  Watched a few games of the state tournament and it seems to go smoothly.  Refs seem right on top of any issues with resets.  It really does make a difference in the flow of the game.  

Seems odd to me that Nebraska has a million more population in a "tax me to death" state but they can't seem to scrape together enough to put a shot clock in each district.

if they would at least cut out the freshman level teams in the larger districts and the C teams in the smaller districts, the money saved on travel/coaching/games could be put toward the shot clock.

good question. maybe a little more digging. hard to believe nebraska hasn't been able to figure a way-----assuming that is what they want to do.

i wasn't aware there were so few states that use a high school shot clock.

"The National Federation of State High School Associations rulebook does not allow use of a shot clock at the high school level, but each state association can decide on using one. Eight states -- California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Washington -- use a shot clock at the high school level. However, doing so means those states forfeit a seat on the basketball rules committee with the NFHS."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

3 hours ago, huskerchode said:

Ya let's cut opportunities for kids to compete and be on teams so we can have a shot clock. That sounds like a good plan. 

25 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Ya let's cut opportunities for kids to compete and be on teams so we can have a shot clock. That sounds like a good plan. 

I know many schools where the kids on those lower level teams also play on upper level teams.  Happened with 4 of the public schools in Lincoln just a few years ago because they didn't have enough kids out to field all 4 teams.  It's ridiculous to have freshman play on 2 or 3 teams and multiple games each week - cuts into study time and doing other activities they may be interested in.  

1 hour ago, huskerchode said:

I know many schools where the kids on those lower level teams also play on upper level teams.  Happened with 4 of the public schools in Lincoln just a few years ago because they didn't have enough kids out to field all 4 teams.  It's ridiculous to have freshman play on 2 or 3 teams and multiple games each week - cuts into study time and doing other activities they may be interested in.  

You always are going to have kids play on 2 levels of teams (3 levels I agree is a problem), sometimes they don't get any playing time on 1, but they get more on the other. That's how you develop programs. But also it's still school, schools are out there to provide opportunities for kids whether they are the best kid or the worst kid. 

All over the state schools are dropping some of their lower teams cause of numbers, I find it sad mainly cause I think a lot of it has to do with, if I'm not on the top team why go through the stages. 

I just think there are other ways to find money for a shot clock then limiting opportunities. 

49 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Is being on the team were you don't get off the bench worth it though?

I personally think that's where some of the best learning is, cause life isn't going to be easy. So if you're willing to go out there and put the work in day after day and stick it out, I think those kids are on their way to having good productive lives. 

This is an easy example, but ask the 3 or 4 seniors on the Gretna Boys Basketball team that didn't get to hardly play, if it was worth it?