Western Christian (A. Verbeek) plays in Championship Game tonite, Friday @8pm, IPTV

Red Don

Here is a post I ran across on another message board.  Just wanted to post it since it is time sensitive for any one wanting to Watch Western Christian play in the IA State Championship Game.

Just a note on Ashtyn Verbeek, NU 2018 commit from Hull Western Christian High School;
Quarter final game in Iowa State Tournament: 24 points and 19 rebounds in a 58-48 win
Semifinal game vs number 1 ranked Iowa City Regina: 31 points 10 rebounds 6 blocks in a 71-49 win
At 6'2" she plays the point, wing, and some post. She just dominates the game. They play the championship game tonight at 8pm on Iowa Public Television (IPTV) channel 27 or get it online at IPTV.com. Might be worth a look.    Website is iptv.org (not .com) 
iared

Edited by Red Don

Nothing went her way tonight. Questionable fouls put her in trouble early, took away her aggressiveness. She was the focus of the Treynor defense. Still impressed enough to be named honorary captain on the all tournament team.    

Edited by 12dozen
typo

1 hour ago, 12dozen said:

Nothing went her way tonight. Questionable fouls put her in trouble early, took away her aggressiveness. She was the focus of the Treynor defense. Still impressed enough to be named honorary captain on the all tournament team.    

That might be, but you can't teach foot speed.

well, if she puts in the work it most likely would. how much? hard to say. if you search the internet, there are many articles on exercises to improve your footwork. i am just guessing, but, would imagine she attends camps that offer workouts that help improve your footwork in basketball. 

i noticed she does appear to have some "hops" to her. one good example that i noticed during the husker season is the gal from minny----the freshman bello. now she has some hops to her. would like to see a few recruits similar to that. 

4 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

well, if she puts in the work it most likely would. how much? hard to say. if you search the internet, there are many articles on exercises to improve your footwork. i am just guessing, but, would imagine she attends camps that offer workouts that help improve your footwork in basketball. 

i noticed she does appear to have some "hops" to her. one good example that i noticed during the husker season is the gal from minny----the freshman bello. now she has some hops to her. would like to see a few recruits similar to that. 

I guess footwork is the wrong word to use, I noticed a couple of time on fastbreaks she was left in the dust. The opposing player was at the rim by the time she got to half court. So I'm saying straight away speed is what she lacks IMO.

I thought she ran the court much better the last couple of minutes. Even sprinted a couple of times. Don't know, but seemed she was instructed to stay away from trouble because of the foul situation. Not sure last night was a good measuring stick for her. First time I've seen her play. Reminded me of a coaches kid/gym rat type of player that will help a team in many ways. Like speed, you also can't teach height. Never know, she might grow another inch in the next year. I trust our coaches know what they're doing.

straightaway speed may be a different issue. i remember hearing a trainer being interviewed on the radio many years ago (man, may be close to 20 years now). anyway, he stated that speed is hard to train for-----you either have it or you don't. at the time, he stressed he MAY be able to knock 2, possibly 3 tenths off your time, but, in his opinion it is very difficult. that interview has always stuck in my mind when people start talking "speed". now, i will admit, maybe things have changed since i heard that interview. i don't know. maybe new techniques have evolved that allow a person to get speedier.

is AB the fleetest of foot? no, but, imo, there were moments you saw she could get down the court pretty well----for her height. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Not sure school size matters. Much of the evaluation is done during AAU participation. Still, being from a small school isn't a curse. Jordan Hooper, Karen Jennings, Nicole Kubic, Amy Stephens, Anna DeForge, and even Kelsey Griffin weren't Metro area kids. They seemed to do OK.

Having said the above, I have no dog in this fight.  For the Lady Huskers benefit, I hope this girl is the real deal.  GBR

Edited by 12dozen
typo

Clearly she had a rough game as said above. Got in foul trouble, and had the defense keying on her. In the previous couple of tourney games she was at about 25 pts/game, and 15 rebounds...approx.

As far as foot speed.....you get in to college and get your tail in gear or your left in the dust in more ways than one. But that pretty typical of kids coming out of H.S.....in all sports...getting up to game speed. Will have to learn to work a little harder.  And...she won't be the "big dog" anymore. That's one of the rude awaking all newbies get introduced to right away.

Is she a bit of a project ?....looks like both of the 2018 are needing some college coaching. Watching H.S. game drives my crazy sometimes...the...s...l...o..w....ragged game play.

Edited by redsteve

17 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Clearly she had a rough game as said above. Got in foul trouble, and had the defense keying on her. In the previous couple of tourney game she was at about 25 pts/game, and 15 rebounds...approx.

As far as foot speed....you get in to college and get your tail in gear or your left in the dust in more ways that one. But that pretty typical of kids coming out of H.S.....in all sports...getting up to game speed. Will have to learn to work a little harder.  And...she won't be the "big dog" anymore. That's one of the rude awaking all newbies get introduced to right away.

Is she a bit of a project ?....looks like both of the 2018 are needing some college coaching. Watching H.S. game drives my crazy sometimes...the...s...l...o..w....game play.

If the high school federation would install a shot clock, that would help a lot.

8 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

What does 2A in Iowa translate in Nebraska class wise?

Western Christian has a 9-11 enrollment of 192.  That would translate it to he the 13th largest school in C1 in Nebraska.

9 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Bugs, you're fighting a losing battle but I agree with you.  Slow girls from little bitty schools very seldom pan out.

I know this is prob a little apples and oranges as I think she was a bit quicker but Kelsey Bolte that went to Iowa State and had a tremendous career there went to a smaller high school (mine) than Western Christian is.  I do understand that it is much harder for a slower girl from a smaller school to "make it big".

Went to the game. Personally thought the coach didn't utilize her real well. We (Treynor) have some nice athletes and it seemed to frustrate her. I thought she was kind of lazy. They tried to force it to her. With her size and basketball knowledge she could've just worked the post area and got rebounds/put backs and been a bigger factor.  A redshirt year will do her wonders.

8 minutes ago, Jugular said:

Went to the game. Personally thought the coach didn't utilize her real well. We (Treynor) have some nice athletes and it seemed to frustrate her. I thought she was kind of lazy. They tried to force it to her. With her size and basketball knowledge she could've just worked the post area and got rebounds/put backs and been a bigger factor.  A redshirt year will do her wonders.

How about # 5 for Western, she seemed to have a good game.

14 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

How about # 5 for Western, she seemed to have a good game.

Pretty nice player. I'd say small/smaller college--I thought she ran the court pretty well. Probably not a natural basketball player like Verbeek or the PG for Treynor. Which by the way, she's a stud. Good handles, can shoot it, only a sophomore I think. Will be fun to watch her the next couple years.