Bizarro Fire Miles Talk (Not BS)

jimmykc

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

According to tigerboard.com Coach Miles is a candidate for the Missouri job.

Tim Miles is a darkhorse

Posted on: March 4, 2017 at 20:21:39 CT

I'm hearing he's got a real shot at this thing from well connected people

Well maybe this is all taking a different turn here.  I know it was brought up earlier but this does make things even more interesting.  

So does Tim grab the mic after the game tomorrow and says "good-bye" and drop it and walk off.

Or does SE come out of the crowd grab the mic and scream "Your Fired"

That would kind of put a damper on Tai's last game huh?

22 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I could be wrong here but if Eichorst wanted him gone, these three blowout losses are likely irrelevant in his decision making.

I understand where people come from with this 'the last 3 games define this entire tenure' deal but I really don't subscribe to it.  We've been playing on a razor's edge most of the year so some bad beats lumped together really doesn't move the needle for me.

Updated:

Win vs Sacramento State, 83-61 (+22pts)
Win vs University of Mary, 70-38 (+32pts)
Win vs Louisiana Tech, 65-54 (+11pts)
Win ne Dayton, 80-78 (+2pts)
Loss ne UCLA, 71-82 (-11pts)
Loss ne Virginia Tech, 53-66 (-13pts)
Loss at Clemson, 58-60 (-2pts)
Win vs South Dakota, 73-61 (+12pts)
Loss vs Creighton, 62-77 (-15pts)
Loss vs Kansas, 72-89 (-17pts)
Loss vs Gardner-Webb, 62-70 (-8pts)
Win vs Southern, 81-76 (+5pts)
Win at Indiana, 87-83 (+4pts)
Win at Maryland, 67-65 (+2pts)
Win vs Iowa, 93-90 2OT (+3pts)
Loss vs Northwestern, 66-74 (-8pts)
Loss at Michigan, 85-91 (-6pts)
Loss vs Ohio State, 66-67 (-1pts)
Loss at Rutgers, 64-65 (-1pts)
Loss at Northwestern, 61-73 (-12pts)
Win  vs Purdue 83-80, (+3pts)
Loss vs Michigan State, 61-72 (-11pts)
Loss at Iowa, 70-81 (-11pts)

Loss vs Wisconsin, 69-70 OT (-1pts)

Win vs Penn State, 82-66 (+16pts)

Win at Ohio State, 58-57 (+1pts)

Loss at Michigan State, 72-88 (-16pts)

Loss vs Illinois, 57-73 (-16pts)

Loss at Minnesota, 73-88 (-15pts)

Loss vs. Michigan, 57-93 (-36pts)

Records:
Games between 0-4 points: 6-4 (5-3)
Games between 5-9 points: 1-3 (0-2)

Double-digit games: 5-11 (1-7)

Top 5 largest victories: 32 (University of Mary), 22 (Sacramento State), 16 (Penn State), 12 (South Dakota), 11 (Louisiana Tech)

Top 5 largest defeats: 36 (Michigan), 17 (Kansas), 16 (Michigan State), 16 (Illinois), 15 (Creighton/Minnesota)

Four of our top 5 largest defeats have all come in these last four games.

I still believe that if anything is gonna be done, there will be turnover on the staff. Molinari, the supposed "defensive guru," has been here for 4 seasons, and our defense has digressed every single season. I think Tim gets year 6, but the leash is extremely short. Staff turnover will be on the horizon, just not at the top.

On 3/4/2017 at 4:10 PM, royalfan said:

I really hope this season doesn't end without anyone caring like Pitchford Petteway etc. last year year.  That was so sad to watch.  Coaches didn't even seem to care very much.  The team certainly didn't.  If Miles knows the writing is on the wall, that is probably what will happen. 

I thought this was going to happen tonight.  Obviously not to this extent.  This was easy to see coming.  Seems like too many people have checked out.  Our will to coach and our will to win is completely gone, just like that year.  And again, I was only bringing up players names to reference the season.  Wasn't my goal to claim either didn't play hard or checked out mentally.  This is a sad situation.  Nothing pisses me off more than clubs I love not playing hard, at least in the world of sports. 

Edited by royalfan

Firing Miles at this point in time is just plain stupid!  I'm so sick of reading/ hearing  this.   First Christs' sakes,  if people can't see the progress he's made in the quality of athletes he's brought to this program compared to the prior regimes (Barry and Doc) then people are just plum dumb.  He was given a program with very little talent and has turned the roster into almost all top 150 rated players.   He deserves the chance to see this through.   We are a very young team!  We should be thankful and let him see what he can do as he and the coaching staff develops this talent! 

I am fine with Tim coming back.  But it is a complete copout to act like we have a whole bunch of top 150 guys.  We don't.  Either they were highly overrated or we are doing one hell of a shitty job developing them as we don't have very many top 150 college basketball players on our team.  Either reason reflects poorly as we are not evaluating talent well, or we are not developing players well.   This doesn't even begin to tap into the philosophical problems with our schemes. 

7 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

I still believe that if anything is gonna be done, there will be turnover on the staff. Molinari, the supposed "defensive guru," has been here for 4 seasons, and our defense has digressed every single season. I think Tim gets year 6, but the leash is extremely short. Staff turnover will be on the horizon, just not at the top.

May have regressed also.

8 hours ago, Rome4Lyfe said:

Firing Miles at this point in time is just plain stupid!  I'm so sick of reading/ hearing  this.   First Christs' sakes,  if people can't see the progress he's made in the quality of athletes he's brought to this program compared to the prior regimes (Barry and Doc) then people are just plum dumb.  He was given a program with very little talent and has turned the roster into almost all top 150 rated players.   He deserves the chance to see this through.   We are a very young team!  We should be thankful and let him see what he can do as he and the coaching staff develops this talent! 

But you indict him on another matter with this support.   If he has a roster of nearly all Top 150 guys....why do we suck?   And don't say because we are young....because other teams are just as young/inexperienced as we are and are nowhere near this bad.  The youth excuse is old.  The rest of the Big 10 is extremely young sans Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin.   Youth can be viewed as a reason for optimism moving forward but not as an excuse.

Edited by nustudent

I have no problem with TM coming back unless we find ourselves in a position to get an absolute steal in Thad Matta or Mark Gottfried.  I'd take either of those coaches at this point--that's less firing Miles and more bringing in established high-level performers in the profession who have proven coaching philosophies--someone you can't pass up.  

I think there are plenty of midmajor coaches who are better in-game coaches than TM.  I don't think there is a single one nationwide that I would trust to replicate his recruiting ability.  I still value recruiting far above in-game coaching, particularly when it comes to long-term program building, but at some point you have to be able to do both to take the next step.  

14 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I think there are plenty of midmajor coaches who are better in-game coaches than TM.  I don't think there is a single one nationwide that I would trust to replicate his recruiting ability.  I still value recruiting far above in-game coaching, particularly when it comes to long-term program building, but at some point you have to be able to do both to take the next step.  

This is why assistant coaches in basketball are so very important. 

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

But you indict him on another matter with this support.   If he has a roster of nearly all Top 150 guys....why do we suck?   And don't say because we are young....because other teams are just as young/inexperienced as we are and are nowhere near this bad.  The youth excuse is old.  The rest of the Big 10 is extremely young sans Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin.   Youth can be viewed as a reason for optimism moving forward but not as an excuse.

And all the other young teams have had rough stretches.  Our rough stretch happened at the end of the season when it is more fresh in people's minds.  

29 minutes ago, brfrad said:

And all the other young teams have had rough stretches.  Our rough stretch happened at the end of the season when it is more fresh in people's minds.  

We're 12-18.   Our rough stretch lasted most of the year.   I'll give you closing with a thud is big on perception though

Ladies and Gents, I am sitting squarely on the fence on this one.  I wouldn't have said that two weeks ago.  But the last four games have been a train wreck.  I am okay if he is retained, but next year will be NCAA or bust.  Can the staff and players handle those expectations?  When I waiver towards retention, it is due in part to the run we made to the NCAA tournament.  After the Wisconsin game I was crying like a baby.  I was emotionally spent and so pumped that my emotions could not be contained.  (Same thing occurred with the Cubs last season :)

But the last four games this year, Gardner Webb, et al has me more than a bit upset. 

Soooo, I will be the biggest supporter of Coach Miles and this team moving forward if he is retained, if he is not, I will move on and hope that the turnaround is immediate.  I say this because whether or not we hire a new coach or retain Coach Miles, my expectations will remain the same.  NCAA tournament!