uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 29 - @ Minnesota

If Ohio State loses at home to Indiana (Sat morning, 11am) and Nebraska defeats Michigan (Sun evening), both would finish 7-11 in the conference.

Tie-breaker 1: Head-to-head:

Nebraska 1-1 vs. Ohio State

Tie-breaker 2: Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings (likely Purdue)

Nebraska: 1-0 vs. Purdue

Ohio State: 0-1 vs. Purdue

Thus, a Nebraska win paired with a Ohio State loss would give the Huskers the 10th seed (via tie-breakers).  Since Ohio State plays Saturday Morning, we will know by early Saturday afternoon if the 10th seed is a possibility.

This doesn't excuse NU's woes/performance, but Minnesota is really good. Right now, I think they're the best team in the league when they're motivated to play. Skilled, athletic big men with a lightning quick point guard. Not sure they shoot the 3 well enough to make a deep NCAA run, but they're really good vs rest of Big Ten. And when Lynch stays out of foul trouble as he has been doing better of late, they get that much better. How the hell did that kid end up at Illinois State originally? When he and Murphy are going, there aren't too many teams that will guard both of them successfully and/or keep them both off the offensive glass.

That was as good of a performance by an opponent against NU this season since maybe the 1st half in Lawrence. 

With Wisconsin's wheels falling off & with how heated that rivalry is, should be very interesting in Madison Sunday. If Minnesota gets a chance to run it up, I'm guessing they will. Seems to be some real chemistry problems in Wisconsin right now with a senior laden team.

OK, sorry for the break from regularly scheduled programming. Back to NU's problems....

Edited by throwback

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

That's basically where I'm at. No juice left to squeeze out of the fellas.

Sorry, but this is a cop out...unless are talking about mental fatigue?  If this team is struggling on the floor due to the type of minutes they are playing then it's a strength and conditioning issue.  But, I have a hard team believing that as I feel our strength staff does a great job.  Below are the amount of minutes year to date for NU and Minnesota.  The team that probably would have won by 30 had they left their starters in sure didn't look to be having issues with fatigue yet they have 4 guys with over 800 minutes and we have 2.   

Top 8 for minutes-Nebraska

Tai Webster- 1003

GWJR- 907

Jacobson- 714

Taylor-702

McVeigh-644

Morrow-516

Roby-415

Jordy-359

Top 8 for minutes- Minnesota

Mason- 1027

Coffey-952

Murphy-833

McBrayer-819

Springs-718

Lynch-651

Curry-595

Konate-299

Edited by huskerbaseball13

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Sorry, but this is a cop out...unless are talking about mental fatigue?  If this team is struggling on the floor due to the type of minutes they are playing then it's a strength and conditioning issue.  But, I have a hard team believing that as I feel as our strength staff does a great job.  Below are the amount of minutes year to date for NU and Minnesota.  The team that probably would have won by 30 had they left their starters in sure didn't look to be having issues with fatigue yet they have 4 guys with over 800 minutes and we have 2.   

Tai Webster- 1003

GWJR- 907

Jacobson- 714

Taylor-702

McVeigh-644

Morrow-516

Roby-415

Jordy-359

Mason- 1027

Coffey-952

Murphy-833

McBrayer-819

Springs-718

Lynch-651

Curry-595

Konate-299

Bingo.   I looked at this last night too for other teams minutes compared to ours.   We can say Glynn and Tai are playing a lot of minutes but there are several other teams whose top 2 play even more.

7 hours ago, nustudent said:

Don't think they are gassed.  Just lost the edge.   Not much to play for and going up and against teams that are on the bubble or are playing for something.

I was just wondering today how motivating playing to not be in the last 4 is

9 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Sorry, but this is a cop out...unless are talking about mental fatigue?  If this team is struggling on the floor due to the type of minutes they are playing then it's a strength and conditioning issue.  But, I have a hard team believing that as I feel as our strength staff does a great job.  Below are the amount of minutes year to date for NU and Minnesota.  The team that probably would have won by 30 had they left their starters in sure didn't look to be having issues with fatigue yet they have 4 guys with over 800 minutes and we have 2.   

Tai Webster- 1003

GWJR- 907

Jacobson- 714

Taylor-702

McVeigh-644

Morrow-516

Roby-415

Jordy-359

Mason- 1027

Coffey-952

Murphy-833

McBrayer-819

Springs-718

Lynch-651

Curry-595

Konate-299

Other noteworthy points:

Nebraska MIN PTS PTS/MIN
Tai Webster 1003 508 0.51
GWJR 907 388 0.43
Jacobson 714 178 0.25
Taylor 702 146 0.21
McVeigh 644 215 0.33
Morrow 516 207 0.40
Roby 415 84 0.20
Jordy 359 139 0.39
1865 of 2044 team points (91.2%)      

Minnesota MIN PTS PTS/MIN
Mason 1027 463 0.45
Coffey 952 348 0.37
Murphy 833 339 0.41
McBrayer 819 331 0.40
Springs 718 297 0.41
Lynch 651 240 0.37
Curry 595 171 0.29
Konate 299 53 0.18
2242 of 2295 team points (97.7%)      

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

I look at that one being an Ed Morrow-less situation.  Ohio State was at home and we basically had it won.  Odds were so hugely in our favor at that moment.

I can see that.   But the same applies to Rutgers.  We missed Ed.   Our best player turns it over twice in the final minute and then there is a flukish put back.   And while OSU isn't great, they do have some talent and athletes.   That was Rutgers second conference win in their last 40 games.   That's hard for me to get over.   Ohio State has beaten other decent teams.   Rutgers hasn't really beaten anyone.   I think you can excuse losses to Ohio States.  

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Ohio State at home was easily the most devastating loss of the season.  Nothing else even approaches.

3 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Disagree and say Rutgers was close.   Being at home was tough.   But Rutgers is still.....Rutgers.

For me it's Northwestern.  I knew our season was going to turn on how we did at home against them.  I still don't believe the fans understand how big a game that was for us (and has been for a couple years in a row now).

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

For me it's Northwestern.  I knew our season was going to turn on how we did at home against them.  I still don't believe the fans understand how big a game that was for us (and has been for a couple years in a row now).

I can see that angle.

To each their own, but for me, the quality of the team we lost too carries a lot of weight.   NW is a very solid team.   Ohio State isn't even a terrible team.   Rutgers is.  Losing to a team that virtually no one else loses too just stings too much for me.

Edited by nustudent

24 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Sorry, but this is a cop out...unless are talking about mental fatigue?  If this team is struggling on the floor due to the type of minutes they are playing then it's a strength and conditioning issue.  But, I have a hard team believing that as I feel our strength staff does a great job.  Below are the amount of minutes year to date for NU and Minnesota.  The team that probably would have won by 30 had they left their starters in sure didn't look to be having issues with fatigue yet they have 4 guys with over 800 minutes and we have 2.   

Tai Webster- 1003

GWJR- 907

Jacobson- 714

Taylor-702

McVeigh-644

Morrow-516

Roby-415

Jordy-359

Mason- 1027

Coffey-952

Murphy-833

McBrayer-819

Springs-718

Lynch-651

Curry-595

Konate-299

Part of that is playing with injuries, which most teams do throughout the season.  Tai was seen walking out of the Michigan State game with ice bags from his knees to ankle on both legs.  Watson played 4 games with a bad groin.  We know about Morrow's injury.  Roby playing with a bad hip.  Having said that, I think it is more of a mental fatigue issue.  We kept these heartbreaking losses, and would play decently the next game, and either take a good team to the wire, or end up winning the game.  I think the Michigan State game finally broke our will. 

1 hour ago, BjoeHusker said:

If Ohio State loses at home to Indiana (Sat morning, 11am) and Nebraska defeats Michigan (Sun evening), both would finish 7-11 in the conference.

Tie-breaker 1: Head-to-head:

Nebraska 1-1 vs. Ohio State

Tie-breaker 2: Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings (likely Purdue)

Nebraska: 1-0 vs. Purdue

Ohio State: 0-1 vs. Purdue

Thus, a Nebraska win paired with a Ohio State loss would give the Huskers the 10th seed (via tie-breakers).  Since Ohio State plays Saturday Morning, we will know by early Saturday afternoon if the 10th seed is a possibility.

Michigan is either the 7th or 8th seed I think. I also think it's based on if Iowa loses and they win. Not much motivation there.

However, I think you could argue they might edge closer to the bubble dropping a game to us and Beilein will sell them on this all weekend.  They should be highly motivated to win.

'Mentally gassed' probably is more the issue than 'physically gassed'

Also seems like the coach might be trying to call out someone/anyone to step up on the floor to tell the other guys to stop feeling bad for themselves because sad feelings don't score points.

Confidence, especially on a team with seven freshmen and sophomores playing regularly, is something Miles said needs “constant management.”

“No doubt when one thing goes wrong, there’s kind of a feeling,” the coach said. “I didn’t see a real strong voice out there trying to steady the ship. That’s something we have to get corrected.

“When things go wrong, we need someone to take control of the huddle. We need a quarterback.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/rudderless-huskers-blitzed-by-gophers-coach-tim-miles-cites-need/article_1801357a-ffb3-11e6-b95c-6ffb35e91ac2.html

13 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

- I don't know if it was coincidental or if it played a part, but this all went to pot after Lee's article...it looks like the players are carrying a burden they shouldn't be asked to carry.

How flipping hard is it to tell Lee something like 'we evaluate the direction of all our programs on a regular basis and barring some sort of legal issue or student endangerment that any decision on any changes are made in the offseason'? Seems like 'No comment..please fill the communication void with whatever speculation you'd like' hasn't been a great strategy for anyone.

24 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

'Mentally gassed' probably is more the issue than 'physically gassed'

Also seems like the coach might be trying to call out someone/anyone to step up on the floor to tell the other guys to stop feeling bad for themselves because sad feelings don't score points.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/rudderless-huskers-blitzed-by-gophers-coach-tim-miles-cites-need/article_1801357a-ffb3-11e6-b95c-6ffb35e91ac2.html

Also from the article, Kenya apparently was T'ed up for saying "That was a bad call"

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Tai Webster- 1003

GWJR- 907

Jacobson- 714

Taylor-702

McVeigh-644

Morrow-516

Roby-415

Jordy-359

Mason- 1027

Coffey-952

Murphy-833

McBrayer-819

Springs-718

Lynch-651

Curry-595

Konate-299

Yes, I'm referring to mental fatigue. They've exhausted their resources. It's fairly obvious...

15 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Also from the article, Kenya apparently was T'ed up for saying "That was a bad call"

IF that is all he said, that is pathetic on the officials part.  That is what we call rabbit ears in the coaching circles (granted we were coaching baseball).