uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 29 - @ Minnesota

Notes

*-Minnesota shot 55.9 percent, becoming the first Husker opponent to shot over 50 percent since Michigan State on Feb. 2.
*-Minnesota’s 11 blocked shots was the second-highest total by a Husker opponent this season (Kansas 12)
*-Tai Webster reached double figures for the 30th straight game, the longest since Terran Petteway reached double figures in 30 straight games covering the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.  Over the last 20 years, only Tyronn Lue (36, 1996-97, 1997-98) has had a longer double-figure streak.  
*- Webster became only the fourth Husker to record 500 points and 100 assists in a season, joining Tyronn Lue, Jaron Boone and Erick Strickland. 
*-Michael Jacobson reached double figures for the first time since Feb. 9, as he had 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting. 
*-Nebraska placed a season-high five players in double figures, as it also happened against South Dakota on Dec. 3
*-Jeriah Horne’s 10-point effort was his first double-figure effort since Jan. 29.
*-Nebraska enjoyed a 43-38 advantage on the glass, the eighth time in nine games that NU has tied or out-rebounded its opponent. 

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Ohio State at home was easily the most devastating loss of the season.  Nothing else even approaches.

Boy, that is so true.  Still think we would have won the Rutgers game immediately following had we got that one.  Also the NW home game is an overlooked huge loss.  Derailed insane momentum potential.  We might have really started thinking we were good. 

Tired is possibly a small factor, but it shouldn't be.  The bigger problem is that we are so easy to defend and more and more tape on us being defended well is leading to others doing the same types of concepts.  Everything is congested.  When you can sag off guys without getting punished and have no reliable post game to go to for points, and none of them can pass worth a damn out of a double it is very tough against good defensive coaching.   Defensively, we have to help so much as we get beat off the dribble way too easily, way too often.  This results in our 3 point allowed debacle.   It is disappointing that our staff hasn't figured out how to use sabermetrics better.  Getting completely destroyed by the 3 point line on both ends.  Needs to be the other way around to elevate a program quickly.  I know Miles understands most of these concepts.  For some reason he isn't very good at doing anything about it.   It is such a frustrating situation hoping he can get it rolling, yet not knowing if he is capable of it.  That dynamic in play as well as the dynamics of not wanting to start over right now, or having Eichhorst make an important hire.  Too many teams make the damn tourney each year.  Teams that we shouldn't be better than.  Yet here were are again. 

Edited by royalfan

42 minutes ago, 49r said:

Care to elaborate on this?

It was written wrong.  What it meant to say was that too may teams make it every year for us to rarely make it and each year many teams that I feel we should have a better program than are in while we sit and watch.  And most of these teams seem to have guys that can shoot the ball and watching us lay bricks every year wears on me. 

I am still in Mile's corner but you hit on my biggest complaint. I think he is just too old school in his philosophies. You have to embrace the three on offense and try to limit it on defense. It is too easy of a shot anymore and teams are rolling out line ups with 4-5 guys who can hit it. A Lot of the time we only have 1 or 2 guys who can shoot it well. 

I really hope Copeland, Nana, Palmer are legit shooters and Jeriah, MJ, and Roby improve their shot before next year. I only feel Glynn and Jack are reliable at this point. Jeriah probably would be but does not get the minutes to prove it.

It would be nice to have 4 shooters with Jordy/Ed down low 

19 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I am still in Mile's corner but you hit on my biggest complaint. I think he is just too old school in his philosophies. You have to embrace the three on offense and try to limit it on defense. It is too easy of a shot anymore and teams are rolling out line ups with 4-5 guys who can hit it. A Lot of the time we only have 1 or 2 guys who can shoot it well. 

I really hope Copeland, Nana, Palmer are legit shooters and Jeriah, MJ, and Roby improve their shot before next year. I only feel Glynn and Jack are reliable at this point. Jeriah probably would be but does not get the minutes to prove it.

It would be nice to have 4 shooters with Jordy/Ed down low 

So you would bench MJ and Taylor?

Roby improving his shot is a real concept when he almost never shoots other than a dunk or put back. He took a regular shot against Minn. and I almost fainted. His length is a real asset but his lack of interest on offense really hurts us. It has been Benny Parker like. I think he needs to flush this year and come back shooting next year.

Isaiah looks good shooting in warm-ups.  When he gets in the game...not so much.  The kid seems to be putting too much pressure on himself.  I would have hoped that by this time, that would have played itself out.  He needs to put on another 20lbs this offseason, and somehow find his mojo.  We need him next year.

11 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Isaiah looks good shooting in warm-ups.  When he gets in the game...not so much.  The kid seems to be putting too much pressure on himself.  I would have hoped that by this time, that would have played itself out.  He needs to put on another 20lbs this offseason, and somehow find his mojo.  We need him next year.

Yep...  we could really use a Freshman Ed to Sophomore Ed type jump.

20 hours ago, huskercwg said:

So you would bench MJ and Taylor?

I do not think we can this year which is a problem. I still have hope MJ can start making those shots but if not I think we will need to look at him coming off the bench. I think he would be perfect for that role anyway as he brings a lot of energy.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:43 PM, hhcdave said:

Boehm needs to be fired way before Miles. If he is allowed to be a part of ridding Miles and then making ANOTHER hire, I am done with this program. 

Keep Miles, fire Boehm. He's a joke. 

Looks like this might be in the works if the rumors are correct....  Or at least him retiring or whatever  I'm sure glad you will continue to follow the program...:)