Future Expectations Poll

Norm Peterson

Expectations in years to come  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What will it take to show satisfactory progress in year 2 over final year 1 regular season record of 7-21 (3-13)?

• 0-2 more wins non-conf; 0-1 more wins conf (10-18 (4-12))
    • 3 more wins non-conf; 2-3 more wins conf (13-15 (6-10))
    • 4 more wins non-conf; 4 more wins conf (15-13 (7-9))
    • 5+ add'l wins non-conf; 5+ add'l wins conf (17-11 (8-8) or better)
  2. 2. What will it take to show satisfactory progress in year 3 over final year 1 regular season record of 7-21 (3-13)?

• Up to 3 more wins non-conf; 2-3 more wins conf (13-15 (6-10))
    • 4 more wins non-conf; 4 more wins conf (15-13 (7-9))
    • 5 more wins non-conf; 5 more wins conf (17-11 (8-8))
    • 6+ add'l wins non-conf; 6+ add'l wins conf (19-9 (9-7) or better)

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

It wasn't like Tim Miles coming to Lincoln and inheriting a program with zero history and a lack of Big Ten caliber players. 

I'm sure Amy would have loved to have had the functional equivalent of Dylan Talley on the roster. And I'm sure Amy would have loved Miles' 2012-2013 non-conference schedule. 

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

The team should show some improvement next season but I am not as optimistic as many seem to be.  Ball handling, defense, shooting, and overall athleticism all need to improve to even approach the mid level of the B1G.  There are glimmers of hope but this league is too good for our current and incoming roster.

Those are all good points, Cazzie. BUT, we have a bonafide stud in Shepherd, and in basketball, one dominant player (I thought about using the word superstar, and perhaps should have--she is a high caliber player now, but can get considerably better with work on her game and conditioning) can make a big difference.  Eilely is a special talent, and athlete and gamer at the highest level; if she improves her skills and consistency in shooting she will be even better.  So I get what you're saying, but there is a nucleus which perhaps gives us more upside than what might appear on the surface.  

5 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

I'm sure Amy would have loved to have had the functional equivalent of Dylan Talley on the roster. And I'm sure Amy would have loved Miles' 2012-2013 non-conference schedule. 

Maybe you're only talking about guards, but are you saying a second team All Big 10 player isn't the functional equivalent of Dylan Talley?   

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I still feel like, bottom line, this was a good program and a good job at the time Coach Williams took it over.  It wasn't like Tim Miles coming to Lincoln and inheriting a program with zero history and a lack of Big Ten caliber players.  So, I think expectations for the new coach should be a little accelerated compared to the men's program.  And it looks like most voters in my poll agree with that take.

Norm, I have to respectfully disagree with you here--at the start of the-16-'17 season (so we don't have to have a squabble  on here about the difference between when Yori was fired and Amy took over like earlier in the thread), there was indeed a lack of Big 10 caliber players.  By that point we were playing numerous players considerable minutes who were not Big 10 caliber players.  I don't want to discuss names, but combining talent and experience what we had to put out on the floor was every bit as bad as Miles' first year, and probably worse.

16 minutes ago, HB said:

Maybe you're only talking about guards, but are you saying a second team All Big 10 player isn't the functional equivalent of Dylan Talley?   

I was only talking about guards. Good guards in women's basketball are of incredible importance. 

I don't think Megan Gustafson, Hallie Thome or even Brionna Jones are as good as Jessica Shepard - the first two especially. But they're all much more efficient on offense, and they're all the beneficiaries of much better guards.

58 minutes ago, HB said:

Those are all good points, Cazzie. BUT, we have a bonafide stud in Shepherd, and in basketball, one dominant player (I thought about using the word superstar, and perhaps should have--she is a high caliber player now, but can get considerably better with work on her game and conditioning) can make a big difference.  Eilely is a special talent, and athlete and gamer at the highest level; if she improves her skills and consistency in shooting she will be even better.  So I get what you're saying, but there is a nucleus which perhaps gives us more upside than what might appear on the surface.  

If we can keep Nicea, Hannah and Jessica together, that's a good nucleus to build around. Grace and Maddie got better as the season went along. 

1 hour ago, swmckewon said:

And I'm sure Tim Miles would have loved to have had the functional equivalent of Jess Shepard on his roster when he took over.  Talley wasn't a 2nd Team All Conference performer.  And he didn't take over a program that had recent NCAA tourney success, either.  And Dylan Talley wasn't a point guard until Miles turned him into one midway through the season.  And Miles had 5 guys average more than 25 minutes per game ... including David Rivers.  Which is pretty much like having Maddie Simon averaging 25 minutes per game, except she didn't.

I see some parallels in the rosters inherited by the two coaches, but the recent histories of the programs each took over were like night and day.

1 hour ago, HB said:

By that point we were playing numerous players considerable minutes who were not Big 10 caliber players.  I don't want to discuss names, but combining talent and experience what we had to put out on the floor was every bit as bad as Miles' first year, and probably worse.

Oh, it is worse in Amy's first year without question.

Without Nicea, Jankoska might have had 50 on Sunday. Or Nebraska would have stayed in zone and given up 90. 

47 minutes ago, Merlin said:

If we can keep Nicea, Hannah and Jessica together, that's a good nucleus to build around. Grace and Maddie got better as the season went along. 

Shepard is important, but it's the guards...in two years, with Eliely, whitish, Stallworth and Kissinger...that's a good Big Ten backcourt. You might get 45 points out of that quartet per game. 

50 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Shepard is important, but it's the guards...in two years, with Eliely, whitish, Stallworth and Kissinger...that's a good Big Ten backcourt. You might get 45 points out of that quartet per game. 

Provided Kissinger lives up to the billing, And I hope Stallworth is a quick shit that is need to get to the hole.

• 10 months later...