Big Ten post season awards

Row6Seat10

The Big Ten conference is in the process of announcing their post season awards. I would guess that Jessica Shepard would make their 2nd or 3rd all Big Ten team roster. And would be disappointed if Hannah W doesn't get some sort of recognition on the freshman all conference team.

That being said they handed out their team sportsmanship award this afternoon for each team and the recipient from the Huskers is just who you thought it would be ........Emily Wood!

Embedded

if you look at the "Doyle vs Whitish" numbers, very similar except for a couple categories. Whitish shot the 3 much better than Doyle (.398 to .263). Whitish wins at the free throw line (.73-.68), although Doyle had 39 more attempts. Doyle won the rebounds 84-67. Doyle wins the steals 58-27. Assists-TO's= Doyle 122-66   Whitish 76-43.

i imagine it didn't hurt to be on a squad that won a few more games. 

15 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

if you look at the "Doyle vs Whitish" numbers, very similar except for a couple categories. Whitish shot the 3 much better than Doyle (.398 to .263). Whitish wins at the free throw line (.73-.68), although Doyle had 39 more attempts. Doyle won the rebounds 84-67. Doyle wins the steals 58-27. Assists-TO's= Doyle 122-66   Whitish 76-43.

i imagine it didn't hurt to be on a squad that won a few more games. 

I think your analysis reflects the difference especially the "won a few more games".  My point would be Doyle got an earlier start which benefited her for season long statistics.  But I think if you just looked at the latter part of the season Hannah would have the upper hand.  As for assists both players had excellent centers to pass to but Doyle's big advantage was she had Ally Disterhoft to work with.

39 minutes ago, HUD said:

I think your analysis reflects the difference especially the "won a few more games".  My point would be Doyle got an earlier start which benefited her for season long statistics.  But I think if you just looked at the latter part of the season Hannah would have the upper hand.  As for assists both players had excellent centers to pass to but Doyle's big advantage was she had Ally Disterhoft to work with.

yes, i think Doyle "benefited" from Tania Davis and her season ending injury---and i do use the word "benefited" loosely as i don't like to see anyone go down with an injury. i watched a couple of iowa games later in the season just to watch Doyle (you know, for the heck of it). yes, i am a "homer" but, Doyle was nothing special in those games. in fact, she really struggled in the one (Purdue, maybe?) now, i will say, i think she is going to be a good one for iowa before it's all said and done. one thing that i noticed she is probably a little quicker than hannah.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

18 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

yes, i think Doyle "benefited" from Tania Davis and her season ending injury---and i do use the word "benefited" loosely as i don't like to see anyone go down with an injury. i watched a couple of iowa games later in the season just to watch Doyle (you know, for the heck of it). yes, i am a "homer" but, Doyle was nothing special in those games. in fact, she really struggled in the one (Purdue, maybe?) now, i will say, i think she is going to be a good one for iowa before it's all said and done. one thing that i noticed is she is probably a little quicker than hannah.

Hannah has turned out to be a better point than I imagined she could coming out of H.S. She can control the offense. If there was a better supporting group at the guard position (like Iowa) she would have been even more noticed. It took her a while to get up to the college speed, but once here...wow !

She is going to be another point in the Rachel T mold...Rachel wasn't real quick either, but very very effective. (made that comparison before but I like it). Hard to imagine who could do better....but she could also move to the shooting guard, if an all world type point were recruited. Like said, she can work on assists, and steals...but she not the speedy wrecker type that makes steals a lot. But has substantially improved her over all game.

Would have been nice to have Doyle here too, but with Hannah doing as well as she is...not particularly concerned.

I have to agree too with Nicea getting overlooked, I think Nicea would have been a better choice for the All B1G defensive team with the fantastic season she put in the books, but that award almost always goes to upper classmen. I'll bet if you questioned half of these voters most wouldn't even know who Nicea is, let alone what she accomplished on the court including the coaches. When it comes to post season awards it's all about what you did on the offensive side. That's why I was hoping Hannah would get some kind of recognition.