I am just sad

Silverbacked1

28 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

After the game today I just sat in my seat and tried to think how I felt at that exact moment.  The answer I came up with is sad.

I say sad because I know that I will come home and start to hear from the people who really don't pay attention to the games (or trolls) say that we are bad and that Miles needs to go.

I am sad that people have to start leaving in droves at the 4:16 mark of a home game.

I am sad that those kids on that team have played so hard this year and I think that there just isn't anything left in the tank.

I am sad that those coaches have worked so hard this year to make these kids better and that they now have to hear the whispers.

I am sad for the players and coaches families who love their people as much as they do and have to watch all this kind of start to fall apart.

I am sad for the fans who keep hoping and cheering and trying to help in any way to get this team to win.

And I will say that I am being a bit selfish here but I am sad for me , because I so want this program to be good and get people's respect.

I will go to sleep tonight and it will be better tomorrow, it always is, but for now I am sad.

Pure poetry my friend.  

14 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I wish I was sad. I wish I truly felt we needed to keep Miles because next year we are going to right the ship.

But I am pretty numb or nonplussed by Nebrasketball right now.

At the end of this season I am going to write a long post that might help you understand about being a Husker basketball fan, and how this year has been for me in general.

But it does have to wait until this has all played out, because you just never know, what... could... still... happen... this... year...  

Because this chapter isn't over. Yet.;):D

Edited by Silverbacked1

At the end of this season I am going to write a long post that might help you understand about being a Husker basketball fan, and how this year has been for me in general. But it does have to wait until this has all played out, because you just never know, what... could... stil... happen... this... year...  Because this chapter is over. Yet.

Part of me expects that when we finally do win a tournament game it will come in a year when we have a losing regular season and win the automatic bid at the conference tourny.

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

After the game today I just sat in my seat and tried to think how I felt at that exact moment.  The answer I came up with is sad.

I say sad because I know that I will come home and start to hear from the people who really don't pay attention to the games (or trolls) say that we are bad and that Miles needs to go.

I am sad that people have to start leaving in droves at the 4:16 mark of a home game.

I am sad that those kids on that team have played so hard this year and I think that there just isn't anything left in the tank.

I am sad that those coaches have worked so hard this year to make these kids better and that they now have to hear the whispers.

I am sad for the players and coaches families who love their people as much as they do and have to watch all this kind of start to fall apart.

I am sad for the fans who keep hoping and cheering and trying to help in any way to get this team to win.

And I will say that I am being a bit selfish here but I am sad for me , because I so want this program to be good and get people's respect.

I will go to sleep tonight and it will be better tomorrow, it always is, but for now I am sad.

Great post. I just have to remind myself after every painful and agonizing game or season just how sweet it will be when (or if) we finally reach the mountaintop. It would just be nice if our mountain didn't have so many damn sharp dropoffs!

I'm not sure if I was in the minority or the majority, but I didn't expect much this year. We're young, and my hope was that the team would have it together at the end of the season so we could see how great things could be next year. But right now we don't have a realistic chance of getting to .500 and we're at 93 in KenPom. That's not much of a platform to build off of. Things can change, and the next win will make the clouds part, but for right now .... sad.

I have to be brutally honest for a minute and just share what's on my mind:
1.  I love Miles, et al, but this staff is not going to make us a consistent NCAA/NIT qualifier.
2.  In spite of #1, I have little confidence Eichorst would bring in a coach that would do better than Miles (should he make a change this year or next).

Wow.  That's depressing.

I'm not going to attempt to polish a turd or to say that things are wonderful or anything like that. 

I would, however, like to offer some perspective.

A few weeks ago, I pointed out that, while we have some star power, it's still the case that our stars are young.  Tai was unranked but is playing like the kid Fran Fraschilla thought he would be.  But he's our only senior and there is no star power in the junior class at this point.

Let's compare that to Illinois for a second.

Malcolm Hill is Illinois' leading scorer.  He was a 4-star recruit out of high school in the class of 2013, ranked the #68 player in the nation by Rivals.  He's a senior.

Maverick Morgan is also a senior.  He's their 2nd leading scorer and an experienced big man.

Tracy Abrams is also a senior.  He's the fourth-leading scorer for Illinois.  He was a Rivals 4-star and the 58th-ranked player nationally in the class of 2011, making him not just a senior, but a 6th year senior.

Last year, they also had Kendrick Nunn, a Rivals 4-star and #60 recruit nationally, in place of Abrams who was injured.  And, with that star-studded group of juniors, they managed 5 conference wins and had just 13 wins overall entering the conference tournament.

So ...

17 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

It's 8:30 on a Sunday night. Can people go home without it having to be a commentary on their character? 

We were down 16 points with four minutes to go.  More power to the people that stayed the whole time for the spanking but I can't fault anybody who left early. 

25 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

It's 8:30 on a Sunday night. Can people go home without it having to be a commentary on their character? 

They voluntarily chose to attend a sporting event; it's not like 6:30 Sunday night games are the only time people stream for the exits at the last media timeout; and it's not really a complaint about people's character, but more about how it kills the atmosphere and probably demoralizes the players to a certain extent to see everyone leaving early.

If they had chosen instead to attend Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen" at 6:30 on a Sunday night, would you be OK with the crowd streaming out before the fat lady sings?

Edited by Norm Peterson

You know Sam I just went from sad to Mad.

And yes I am going to make it a commentary on their character.

Because it was just stupid for all those people to be leaving early.

I would like to see the amount of people who leave early from a concert at PBA before the last couple of songs?  Or that's right they can have another drink, or they paid so much more or the concert was the best ever.  And that game wasn't good.  Well guess what I bet we don't get the A efort from some of these shows that come in here either.

Plus the biggest problem I have is all this talk about the rudeness of our fans to the other team with the Husker Power Chant.  

BUT IT IS OKAY TO BE RUDE TO YOUR OWN TEAM BY LEAVING EARLY?

GOT ONE WORD FOR THAT AND IT RHYMES WITH   FULL  FIT.

You know it is a commitement to by and attented all those games.  And I undersatnd if the roads are bad, your kid has a game, it is 11:00 and you need to go to work tomorrow and still need to drive 2 hours.  BUT IT WAS 8:30 OUR LAST GAME WE WERE ABOUT AT OUR SECOND TV TIME OUT AT 8:30.

So yeah I am calling out some people.  Because it is what is really rude at the PBA.

Now give me those down arrows! 

Edited by Silverbacked1

2 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

You know Sam I just went from sad to Mad.

And yes I am going to make it a commentary on their character.

Because it was just stupid for all those people to be leaving early.

I would like to see the amount of people who leave early from a concert at PBA before the last couple of songs?  Or that's right they can have another drink, or they paid so much more or the concert was the best ever.  And that game wasn't good.  Well guess what I bet we don't get the A efort from some of these shows that come in here either.

Plus the biggest problem I have is all this talk about the rudeness of our fans to the other team with the Husker Power Chant.  

BUT IT IS OKAY TO BE RUDE TO YOUR OWN TEAM BY LEAVING EARLY?

GOT ONE WORD FOR THAT AND IT RHYMES WITH   FULL  FIT.

You know it is a commitement to by and attented all those games.  And I undersatnd if the roads are bad, your kid has a game, it is 11:00 and you need to go to work tomorrow and still need to drive 2 hours.  BUT IT WAS 8:30 OUR LAST GAME WE WERE ABOUT AT OUR SECOND TV TIME OUT AT 8:30.

So yeah I am calling out some people.  Because it is what is really rude at the PBA.

Now give me those down arrows! 

Call me rude if you wish but if I buy tickets to go see the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the PBA and their music is akin to being down 16 points with four minutes to go I'm making the trek back to my car to save some time on the drive home back to Omaha.  If anything, the fans should be praised for continuing to show up(14K last night) for a team that once again is going to finish at the bottom of the conference. IMO There aren't many fanbases out there that would continue to fill up their stadium with the lack of results over the past few years. 

14 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I personally read this as the team not putting in enough effort to keep people around. Illinois had a 98% chance of winning at that point.

It's the easiest for a lot of people to walk on court level so part of this crowd backlash deal is having to see people essentially in your direct line of view walking. I really think you'd see a lot less griping from all of us if people had to walk up stairs and out of direct vision.

Opera and concert analogies.  Ok.

If I knew the last four songs of a concert were going to suck, I'd leave early.  Hard to know that without the set-list, so I'd probably stick around. If the concert I'm attending is boring and I'm not enjoying myself, I'll eave early (I've done this on more than one occasion...Crash Test Dummies were terrible, BTW).

If I knew the last four songs of an opera were going to suck, I'd leave early.  Hard to say I'd go if I knew the ending was going to be terrible, though. I've only been to one opera (stayed the whole time), so I don't have a large enough sample size. But I have left movies early that were god awful (Dick Tracy anyone?).

If I have four more minutes to sit through a game that is for all intents and purposes over and my team is getting bitch slapped, I'd leave early. I've done this.  Hell, I left the '07 Oklahoma State football game at halftime because we were getting pounded, and I wasn't enjoying myself. Was I supposed to stick around an entertainment event that was no longer entertaining me, simply so I wouldn't be rude to people I didn't know? Please.

Shitting on people who are leaving a place meant for entertainment when they aren't enjoying the experience seems like a pretty silly thing to do.