We are no longer good at Pinnacle Bank Arena

PimpMario

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Soooo what you's guys is say'n is we need to get more guys who make the ball go inside the ring rather than the outside.

Cool ;)

It sounds so simple.

Dimes I would say, at least on what we were told, McVeigh is more of a shooter.  Just needs to work on consistency as does, well pick any of them.

50 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

Creighton has had no problem recruiting shooters who aren't 5 stars.

They recruited shooters athletic enough to play in the MVC and then transitioned into the Big East via Div 1 transfers when landed guys like Ronnie Harrell and Leon Gilmore who couldn't hang in addition to shooters like Toby Hegner and Isaiah Zierden who are role players. It is a program with a history that knows what it wants to do and tries to do that. Thus they've got two 4-star shooting guards coming in. Maybe those guys are the next gen of Big East level shooters. Maybe not. Maybe we should shut down the football team and transition into the Big East.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

It is a program with a history that knows what it wants to do and tries to do that.

I hear this a lot, i.e. Iowa and Wisconsin football.  Now Creighton basketball.  Nebraska football was like that for probably 40-50 years right?  Now I feel like we don't have an identity in any of our sports.  Is this an administration thing, a coaching thing, an overall department culture thing?  Does Nebraska athletics need more of an identity in their sports to be more successful?  I get tired of other teams "doing what they do" at Nebraska's expense all the time.  This whole athletic department, man, I don't know sometimes.

To tie my rant back to basketball, what is coach Miles's culture, or identity?  Find best player available or fit x player to a system, redshirt kids, find shooters then teach defense?  I'm all for coach Miles, I think we have a heck of a year next year.  There looks to be a foundation there now of young players.  Maybe if more knew what he was trying to do big picture, they would have more understanding.

Rant over, probably more suited for the fire miles (bs) thread, but the Creighton comment struck a nerve.  Thanks hhcdimes. :) 

21 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

I hear this a lot, i.e. Iowa and Wisconsin football.  Now Creighton basketball.  Nebraska football was like that for probably 40-50 years right?  Now I feel like we don't have an identity in any of our sports.  Is this an administration thing, a coaching thing, an overall department culture thing?  Does Nebraska athletics need more of an identity in their sports to be more successful?  I get tired of other teams "doing what they do" at Nebraska's expense all the time.  This whole athletic department, man, I don't know sometimes.

To tie my rant back to basketball, what is coach Miles's culture, or identity?  Find best player available or fit x player to a system, redshirt kids, find shooters then teach defense?  I'm all for coach Miles, I think we have a heck of a year next year.  There looks to be a foundation there now of young players.  Maybe if more knew what he was trying to do big picture, they would have more understanding.

Rant over, probably more suited for the fire miles (bs) thread, but the Creighton comment struck a nerve.  Thanks hhcdimes. :) 

Not trying to put words in Coach Miles mouth but I remember reading a column about how our identity or foundation is built on defense.  Unfortunately, we have not been very good on that end of the floor the past few years.  GATA ball has turned into a farce as much as "baseline to baseline" was.   

3 hours ago, Huskerone said:

Why do people keep saying that Nebraska needs "an identity" in basketball and football?  The defending National Champions in both college football and basketball don't have "an identity" in the way you're describing.  Clemson was a great football team this year, but they don't have an identity like Oregon, Navy, Wisconsin, Alabama, Ohio State, Washington State, USC, etc.  Each of those other teams clearly have a specific brand/style of play.  And yet Clemson was better.  Same situation with Villanova in college basketball.  I would argue that Kentucky, Wisconsin, Georgetown, Virginia, Texas, and UCLA all have a more unique style of play associated with them, and yet Nova is the defending champ. 

"Identity" is only brought up by fans when their team is losing.  No one cares what style a team plays with if they're winning.

4 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Why do people keep saying that Nebraska needs "an identity" in basketball and football?  The defending National Champions in both college football and basketball don't have "an identity" in the way you're describing.  Clemson was a great football team this year, but they don't have an identity like Oregon, Navy, Wisconsin, Alabama, Ohio State, Washington State, USC, etc.  Each of those other teams clearly have a specific brand/style of play.  And yet Clemson was better.  Same situation with Villanova in college basketball.  I would argue that Kentucky, Wisconsin, Georgetown, Virginia, Texas, and UCLA all have a more unique style of play associated with them, and yet Nova is the defending champ. 

"Identity" is only brought up by fans when their team is losing.  No one cares what style a team plays with if they're winning.

Valid point, I just hear the term used a lot referring to other programs that tend to beat us on a regular basis and its used in a positive context.  We could debate whether its needed or not.  We just haven't been very successful in many sports for awhile, and maybe its because we can't find that "identity" or "formula" for success.  Like I said, I just wonder, and its more of a question than a statement, but if Miles was more open to how he's trying to build the program would fans have more patience/understanding? 

We'll, I don't know if "Identity" is the word I would use, but I do know that back in the day at the Devaney, even when we weren't very good, I always thought we would win. Now I listen to games against South Dakota and Gardener Webb on the radio and wonder what the hell is going on. I know your not going to be "Up" for every game, but if you can't win at home your doomed to mediocrity.

Since it's been a rather slow and depressing week in Nebraska hoops, I figured a picture might be fun. Here's a graphic of our opponents' university location who we've played this season:

NU_1617_Schedule.PNG

(19 of 50: California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Virginia, and Wisconsin)

I think the reason people say that is because Nebraska won 3 MNC with a unique identity in football. There is also the notion that since we are a smaller state the only way to compete is to be unique.

7 hours ago, PimpMario said:

I think the reason people say that is because Nebraska won 3 MNC with a unique identity in football. There is also the notion that since we are a smaller state the only way to compete is to be unique.

...and before we won those 3 titles, people complained bitterly about our 'identity'...being too slow, out of date, always lose in the big game, etc.  It comes down to winning.

7 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Unless we go to places like Florida and New Jersey to get some of the best players we've ever had.

I don't like the small state excuse.  We can get players here to make things happen; they don't have to be born here.  Local players are nice to have, but great players (regardless of where they were born) are better.