Is the Illinois game the Biggest Game of the Year???

jimmykc

With Groce given 100% chance of being fired and the Illini being the only game left on our schedule in which we will be favored, does this make Sunday's game the most critical game yet faced by this group? I think so. Since Miles felt it necessary to bring up his status first in yesterday's presser, a blow out loss at home would give ample grist to the mills of those who are ready to throw him under the bus. I have been impressed with the resiliency of this year's staff in preparing the team mentally for each game and the ability of the players to come back strong each time. Let's hope they are able to do it again.

1 minute ago, jimmykc said:

With Groce given 100% chance of being fired and the Illini being the only game left on our schedule in which we will be favored, does this make Sunday's game the most critical game yet faced by this group? I think so. Since Miles felt it necessary to bring up his status first in yesterday's presser, a blow out loss at home would give ample grist to the mills of those who are ready to throw him under the bus. I have been impressed with the resiliency of this year's staff in preparing the team mentally for each game and the ability of the players to come back strong each time. Let's hope they are able to do it again.

You're right, they always come back stronger off of a bad performance. I expect a Penn State game-like effort.

We as fans need to show up and be ready before the tip and stay ready and loud until it is over.

This is one that we CAN are somebody sitting or standing can help.

This is the old timer day also.  My son said last night that somebody tweeted that there might be an other BIG AUSSIE SIGHTING SUNDAY.

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

We as fans need to show up and be ready before the tip and stay ready and loud until it is over.

This is one that we CAN are somebody sitting or standing can help.

This is the old timer day also.  My son said last night that somebody tweeted that there might be an other BIG AUSSIE SIGHTING SUNDAY.

Agreed.  I equate it to the way it sounded on the radio last night from Michigan State fans.  Not their biggest game, but they were into it; and that was after the gut check of losing Harris.  

Would be cool to see Maric; especially if Depreis Owens picked him up at the airport and was on site too.

6 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Just another thought...the way they played last night, do you not believe that Michigan State thought that our game was the biggest game of the year?

I thought the way MSU played last night, particularly on defense, they were looking like the kind of team poised to make that surprise final four run.  Which shouldn't be a surprise for an Izzo coached team, they always hit their stride right around this time of year.

5 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Completely agree jimmy.  Lose to Illinois, and all the haters who hate will be out in full force.  Win, and even if you lose at Minnesota, the pitchforks will be left in the barn because you still can beat Michigan at home on Tai Webster night.

Now, not to hijack a thread, but if I could talk about Bill Jackman for a moment.  I had no idea NU is honoring Nee's 1989 squad.  I'm assuming Handy Johnson isn't pulling my leg (all people from Superior are of the highest quality...).  Bill Jackman is one of my favorite Huskers ever.  Coming from a small town, well I guess that's relative, Grant is huge compared to Hampton, I thought it was cool he went to Duke.  Big University on the East Coast!  Although he went there before Coach K became a legend, it didn't matter.  He was a great talent.

When he became homesick, as many of us do, and came back to Lincoln, I was pumped!  This guy will be the piece Moe Iba needs to get NU to the next level.  Instead, what happens?  Iba turns him into a shelter pet.  He absolutely destroyed his confidence.  Danny restored a lot of it.  Jackman had a nice senior season.

I hope he is there Sunday.

Now, let me return you to your regurlarly scheduled thread.

From Huskers.com:

The Huskers return home Sunday night to takes on Illinois as part of Legend Weekend. Tipoff at Pinnacle Bank Arena is set for 6:30 p.m. and the game will be televised by BTN and carried on the Husker Sports Network. A limited number of tickets remain for Sunday’s game by visiting Huskers.com/Tickets of calling 800-8-BIGRED during business hours.

1 minute ago, Cazzie22 said:

The Illini are playing well lately.  They swept a Northwestern team that swept us.  NU will have to play well and hit some shots to win.

They also lost to Maryland, Penn St. and Purdue, teams we beat.

;)

Illinois still has something to play for. They'll be looking at the last 3 games of their schedule as winnable as well, and then similarly hoping to make a run in DC. We'll get a rested, motivated Illinois team.

Going back to Cip's hijack for a moment, I totally agree about Bill Jackman. At one point I sent him a short note to boost his waning confidence under Moe and he stopped by my office and gave me a couple of his tickets to the next game. I think he now lives in Lincoln and believe he had some success in finance in Texas. I seem to see him at a lot of the football games and good to see him succeed after basketball.