uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 27 - @ Michigan State

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Also - our 1-3-1 is a lot more than your typical 1-3-1. I knew something was up the first time I watched us play it against Maryland. Saw it pretty clearly last night. Very creative. 

Agreed.  It was nice seeing it for such a lengthy stretch, if for no other reason I feel like I understand it better.  Makes a lot more sense now why we place our big man under the basket rather than our PG, as you'd usually see in a more traditional 1-3-1.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Agreed.  It was nice seeing it for such a lengthy stretch, if for no other reason I feel like I understand it better.  Makes a lot more sense now why we place our big man under the basket rather than our PG, as you'd usually see in a more traditional 1-3-1.

If anything, it's more like a diamond and one - and whoever is in the middle kind of gets to roam or deny someone. Really confused the offense.

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

His was good as well.

There was a series of three dunks late (starting with Jordy's). 

I liked the explosion and *anger* in Jordy's slam.  Haven't seen aggression like that from him much.

To add to my hatred of refs, Jordy got hit in the chest and no foul was called on his dunk. On the following MSU possession, Jack grazes the shooter's arm, 3 fts. Our guys almost always get their hand or arm hit on contested shots when you watch the replays, we never get that call.

40 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

If anything, it's more like a diamond and one - and whoever is in the middle kind of gets to roam or deny someone. Really confused the offense.

Yeah, kind of.  Except that the 'one' is used more as a rim protector, rather than shadowing the offense's best player.  But now that you mention it, I do see similarities.

1 hour ago, jason2486 said:

To add to my hatred of refs, Jordy got hit in the chest and no foul was called on his dunk. On the following MSU possession, Jack grazes the shooter's arm, 3 fts. Our guys almost always get their hand or arm hit on contested shots when you watch the replays, we never get that call.

CUZ WE ARE Nebraska

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Yeah, kind of.  Except that the 'one' is used more as a rim protector, rather than shadowing the offense's best player.  But now that you mention it, I do see similarities.

There were a couple times were Jack was in the middle to start, and literally guarded from the left wing to the right corner. I kept thinking it had to be man, but then the guy on the top just completely abandoned the guy I figured he was guarding and stayed up top. 

11 hours ago, basketballjones said:

There were a couple times were Jack was in the middle to start, and literally guarded from the left wing to the right corner. I kept thinking it had to be man, but then the guy on the top just completely abandoned the guy I figured he was guarding and stayed up top. 

If you look back, it is not exactly but very similar to what the first John Thompson ran when he was at Georgetown. 

On 2/25/2017 at 11:04 AM, basketballjones said:

Go on... I'm listening 

Not ignoring you. Just find it hard to come read the board at all after the last two. 

Nebraksa keeps what is traditionally the baseline runner as the basket protector and they rotate around him. GT would keep his big man (Mutombo/Morning) in the center and all of the other four rotates around him. You could start on the point and after a couple rotations, be the baseline runner. 

I saw Thompson present at a Nike clinic. Most everyone else came alone while a few brought one assistant. John brought his whole staff and his wife. He couldn't get the projector to work so he had his coaches (Ed Spriggs was one If you're old enough to remember him), come up on stage and show the rotations. The stage wasn't big enough so his coaches were jumping off and back onto the stage during rotations. These guys would not qualify as young any more.  Not only did none of them complain, they all referred to him only as "sir."  Most were former players and you could feel the respect. And when his tiny wife walked in and gave everyone of them a hug you could feel the love. Some derogatorily referred to it as hoya paranoia, but you could see they were family. 

I have my clinic notes somewhere in the house if you want more specifics :) 

9 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Not ignoring you. Just find it hard to come read the board at all after the last two. 

Nebraksa keeps what is traditionally the baseline runner as the basket protector and they rotate around him. GT would keep his big man (Mutombo/Morning) in the center and all of the other four rotates around him. You could start on the point and after a couple rotations, be the baseline runner. 

I saw Thompson present at a Nike clinic. Most everyone else came alone while a few brought one assistant. John brought his whole staff and his wife. He couldn't get the projector to work so he had his coaches (Ed Spriggs was one If you're old enough to remember him), come up on stage and show the rotations. The stage wasn't big enough so his coaches were jumping off and back onto the stage during rotations. These guys would not qualify as young any more.  Not only did none of them complain, they all referred to him only as "sir."  Most were former players and you could feel the respect. And when his tiny wife walked in and gave everyone of them a hug you could feel the love. Some derogatorily referred to it as hoya paranoia, but you could see they were family. 

I have my clinic notes somewhere in the house if you want more specifics :) 

Very cool story, Dean.