Lee B brings the hammer!

Jugular

4 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

With Shields/White last year we went 16-18(6-12).  That's probably not the drum Miles wants to beat.  Nor is claiming at 12-14 we are exceeding expectations.  Losing Morrow this year is a viable excuse.  He was probably worth 1-2 wins when he was out.  But, he was also injured last year and very well could go thru the same deal the next few years. 

last year's team struggled because petteway/pitchford left early. this year's team has struggled because white left/morrow got hurt.

yes, you can say these are excuses, but next year's depth should be great enough where we can afford if a player transfers or gets hurt.

6 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

With Shields/White last year we went 16-18(6-12).  That's probably not the drum Miles wants to beat.  Nor is claiming at 12-14 we are exceeding expectations.  Losing Morrow this year is a viable excuse.  He was probably worth 1-2 wins when he was out.  But, he was also injured last year and very well could go thru the same deal the next few years. 

Speaking of White, he is a pretty important guy to lose when we are struggling to shoot.  3rd all time leading scorer for Syracuse in conference play.  As close as we are, and given that we beat 2 of the 3 best teams in the league and lost by 1 to the other without White, I think we need to keep Miles around.  My hopes of one day being elite under him have shrunk big time however.  Still cannot believe the horrific coaching at the end of the first Ohio St. game. 

I think one thing that needs to be considered a little bit more strongly is the distance between Nebraska and the elite blueblood schools.  There is no question in my mind we are closer than we have been in a long time to not being completely outclassed.  Miles needs to find a sneaky way to improve the 3 point shooting though to have a shot to close quickly.  We will never be elite if we are one of the worst at shooting the 3.  Not going to happen.  There is a reason that GS and Cleveland are the best NBA teams and they both are among the best 3 point shooting teams and take a ton of them. 

29 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I think one thing that needs to be considered a little bit more strongly is the distance between Nebraska and the elite blueblood schools.  There is no question in my mind we are closer than we have been in a long time to not being completely outclassed.  Miles needs to find a sneaky way to improve the 3 point shooting though to have a shot to close quickly.  We will never be elite if we are one of the worst at shooting the 3.  Not going to happen.  There is a reason that GS and Cleveland are the best NBA teams and they both are among the best 3 point shooting teams and take a ton of them. 

i think watson, horne, mcveigh can all be around 40% from 3 next year. nana is supposed to be a lights out shooter. i think 3 point shooting is improving overall. it didn't help losing white, who was probably the best shooter we've had in a long time.

9 hours ago, royalfan said:

Speaking of White, he is a pretty important guy to lose when we are struggling to shoot.  3rd all time leading scorer for Syracuse in conference play.  As close as we are, and given that we beat 2 of the 3 best teams in the league and lost by 1 to the other without White, I think we need to keep Miles around.  My hopes of one day being elite under him have shrunk big time however.  Still cannot believe the horrific coaching at the end of the first Ohio St. game. 

You are never going to forgive Miles for the Ohio State loss at home.  How about the coaching job at the end of the game in Columbus?  That was a great plan.  They locked up on the shooters and forced Tate to take a contested 3.  Something he struggles with.

9 hours ago, royalfan said:

We will never be elite if we are one of the worst at shooting the 3.  Not going to happen.  There is a reason that GS and Cleveland are the best NBA teams and they both are among the best 3 point shooting teams and take a ton of them. 

What are you talking about? We are:

288th (of 347 teams) for 3FG% (13th in B1G)

298th (13th in B1G) for 3FG per game

308th (13th in B1G) for 3FG Attempts

312th (13th in B1G) for 3FG Made

333th (14th in B1G) for 3FG Defense

That's not good enough to win games???

:blink:

21 hours ago, Swan88 said:

It gives, for example, an excuse for all the football-only Husker fans on places like Red Sea Scrolls to embark--once again--on the Miles-needs-to-be-fired or given a very-short-leash rants.  

This would happen in early March regardless. 

Here's what Shatel says this morning:

Wednesday night, in his “Sports Nightly” radio interview, [Eichorst] said Miles’ staff is the strongest it’s been during Eichorst’s tenure.  “Tim and I are on the same page,” Eichorst said. “I know he has a vision. I know he has a plan. I know he’s worked hard.”  So much speculation. So much drama. So unnecessary. 

Shatel has a point.  All this speculation and drama that Barfknecht amplifies and magnifies and champions is unnecessary and harmful to Nebrasketball.  It's a shame.  And it's all based on a typical-and-expected response to a Barfknecht question.  With "friends" like this . . .

It reminds me of the Teddy Roosevelt "Man in the Arena" speech:  

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming . . . "

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

You are never going to forgive Miles for the Ohio State loss at home.  How about the coaching job at the end of the game in Columbus?  That was a great plan.  They locked up on the shooters and forced Tate to take a contested 3.  Something he struggles with.

I went into pretty good depth of how excellent our defense was in the game thread or post game thread.  We completely stifled what should have been a routine action.  That game is independent of the other game however.  

This article was a good article, however, I felt from the time it came out that it was the wrong time for it.  I should have come out as soon as the season ended in my opinion.  Now after a 2 game winning streak, we have a 3 game losing streak and Shawn Eichorst sitting directly behind Tim Miles!  

All the feel good, "we could make a run in the BIG tourney" has just been thrown out the window.  You can see it on the players and coaches faces that there is more pressure now than ever. 

I've always been one who believed in the old, let the coaches coach, let the players play, let the officials officiate, and let the sportswriters have their opinions. But in my opinion, this article has cost us, big time.    #NICETIMINGLEE!

1 hour ago, Jurgey said:

This article was a good article, however, I felt from the time it came out that it was the wrong time for it.  I should have come out as soon as the season ended in my opinion.  Now after a 2 game winning streak, we have a 3 game losing streak and Shawn Eichorst sitting directly behind Tim Miles!  

All the feel good, "we could make a run in the BIG tourney" has just been thrown out the window.  You can see it on the players and coaches faces that there is more pressure now than ever. 

I've always been one who believed in the old, let the coaches coach, let the players play, let the officials officiate, and let the sportswriters have their opinions. But in my opinion, this article has cost us, big time.    #NICETIMINGLEE!

Whether the article is a cause or not I don't know.  But ever since it came out we have played very poorly.  Like the players' coach is about to be fired and they know it. 

What drives me the most crazy is that through 2/3 of the season we were able to hang our heads high on playing tough for 40+ minutes and not giving up on the game. I can't remember the exact game (I'm thinking it was at Michigan State) when the wheels started falling off the wagon.

I guess quick math shows the first 21 games we went 10-11 with an average of a 9.6 victory and 8.6 defeat. These last 8 games we went 2-6 with an average of a 8.5 victory and 11.66 defeat.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

What drives me the most crazy is that through 2/3 of the season we were able to hang our heads high on playing tough for 40+ minutes and not giving up on the game. I can't remember the exact game (I'm thinking it was at Michigan State) when the wheels started falling off the wagon.

I guess quick math shows the first 21 games we went 10-11 with an average of a 9.6 victory and 8.6 defeat. These last 8 games we went 2-6 with an average of a 8.5 victory and 11.66 defeat.

Yep, a few B1G romps by MSU (2x), Illinois, and Minnesota... and NU's looked mentally fatigued in all of 'em. Losing wears on guys, the team being no different than the fandom on that aspect, to be honest.

Edited by AuroranHusker
*For clarity*