Lee B brings the hammer!

Jugular

43 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

And I'm not buying this crap about uncertainty over Eichorst's support for Miles.  Here is an unequivocally supportive statement from around the turn of this year about Miles from Eichorst:

As for men’s basketball, Eichorst gave his full support to Miles – hours before Miles’ team defeated No. 16 Indiana on the road 87-83 to begin Big Ten Conference play. The Huskers had gone 6-6 in a challenging nonconference schedule.

Eichorst sees continued growth.

“They've really worked hard. Tim has worked his tail off. He's got a great group of assistants around him,” Eichorst said. “I really like the nucleus — the young nucleus. Obviously, I think he would want them to be a little bit further along. But they've played a really good schedule up to this point. No one’s making any excuses. We will never do that. I just think we want to see improvement.

“And I think we just need to have reasonable expectations around it, and support. We’ll kind of dissect it all at the end. We’re in the middle. The Big Ten’s a formidable league. I know this: The effort’s been there. The preparation’s been there, from what I've seen in practice. And we’ve had some guys dinged up. Again, there are no excuses there, but you have to take that into consideration as you look at the whole thing. I’m very, very optimistic about where we’re at.”

I'm with you on this Swan. Eichorst has come out in support of Miles already this season, and I don't think he intends to fire Miles. This article is doing more damage than good.

I've been watching Nebraska athletics for decades now.  Getting rid of Miles before next season would be the most colossal mistake in the history of the basketball program.  I don't see it happening but, given the women's program, Eichorst is clearly suspect of being basketball illiterate.  

Let's make a run so everyone can STFU.  

I love how involved our legendary coach Terry Pettit is with the program:

Terry Pettit

I don't pretend to know anything about basketball, but I do understand talent. For the first time in several years Nebraska basketball has talent. The next thing is the depth to overcome injuries. From what I can see in the freshmen class and the players that are being red-shirted, Nebraska will have very good depth next year as well. None of this is by accident.
LikeReply1311 hrs

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Terry Pettit

I don't pretend to know anything about basketball, but I do understand talent. For the first time in several years Nebraska basketball has talent. The next thing is the depth to overcome injuries. From what I can see in the freshmen class and the players that are being red-shirted, Nebraska will have very good depth next year as well. None of this is by accident.
LikeReply1311 hrs

yeah, but instead of taking advice from people like Terry Pettit, Eichorst takes it all from guys like Jon Gordon.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Terry Pettit

LikeReply1311 hrs

Terry got to know Tim when we all were at CSU. Terry knows coaching.

Mixed feelings about this article.  At first I was like hell yeah Lee!  Then I was like... wait... did he take a jab at football?  He is notorious for that.  

Also, Fran F. retweeted this article so a lot of people nationally saw this.  That could be good... and it could be bad.  Like I've said... mixed feelings.

For those who don't like this article, what makes you think Eichorst isn't thinking about firing Miles? Lee asked SE if he would end the discussion and take it off the table, yet SE declined. That clearly shows he hasn't decided IMO. Miles has us closer than anybody since Nee, and he has the culture in an even better place than the 90s.

Edited by jason2486

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Mixed feelings about this article.  At first I was like hell yeah Lee!  Then I was like... wait... did he take a jab at football?  He is notorious for that.  

Also, Fran F. retweeted this article so a lot of people nationally saw this.  That could be good... and it could be bad.  Like I've said... mixed feelings.

We have a full class for 2017.

Between today and...let's say March 10th are any of the 2018 guys we're looking at going to make a decision either way?

Also, do you think any of them are unaware of Miles' contract status?

Also, which other coaches of the teams we're competing against are also on the "hot seat"

I don't know that it would have made a difference if Lee B and co had any idea what was going on with the women's program last year and would have reported. Doesn't it seem like Connie would have had a little bit more leverage if people had known prior to her being fired? Would she have been able to make it through one of those tough periods that a lot of coaches go through?

I think there is a valid argument for this being yet another Lee B hit on the administration. However, I don't think that this hurts Miles and I don't necessarily think it's unwarranted.

3 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

For those who don't like this article, what makes you think Eichorst isn't thinking about firing Miles? Lee asked SE if he would end the discussion and take it off the table, yet SE declined. That clearly shows he hasn't decided IMO. Miles has us closer than anybody since Nee, and he has the culture in an even better place than the 90s.

He's always said he will wait for the season to be over for any such  comments. From my point of view, I truly believe SE will retain Miles, id bet money on it. So this article seems like unnecessary assumptions by Lee, when in the end, Lee and SE will come to the same conclusion. 

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

He's always said he will wait for the season to be over for any such  comments. From my point of view, I truly believe SE will retain Miles, id bet money on it. So this article seems like unnecessary assumptions by Lee, when in the end, Lee and SE will come to the same conclusion. 

Fair enough, I hope you're right! I just worry when I don't see a definitive yes from him.

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

We have a full class for 2017.

Between today and...let's say March 10th are any of the 2018 guys we're looking at going to make a decision either way?

Also, do you think any of them are unaware of Miles' contract status?

Also, which other coaches of the teams we're competing against are also on the "hot seat"

I don't know that it would have made a difference if Lee B and co had any idea what was going on with the women's program last year and would have reported. Doesn't it seem like Connie would have had a little bit more leverage if people had known prior to her being fired? Would she have been able to make it through one of those tough periods that a lot of coaches go through?

I think there is a valid argument for this being yet another Lee B hit on the administration. However, I don't think that this hurts Miles and I don't necessarily think it's unwarranted.

Connie's imminent demise was well-known in women's hoops circles 2-3 weeks (at a minimum) before she "resigned".    I would be shocked if the media didn't know about it.  McKewon has the women's hoops beat, and he was essentially a proponent of making the change.  If Lee had that beat he might have written something.  but Sam wasn't going to. 

16 minutes ago, HB said:

Connie's imminent demise was well-known in women's hoops circles 2-3 weeks (at a minimum) before she "resigned".    I would be shocked if the media didn't know about it.  McKewon has the women's hoops beat, and he was essentially a proponent of making the change.  If Lee had that beat he might have written something.  but Sam wasn't going to. 

If one was pro-change, why exactly would you let the LJS scoop you on it?

This article, if it were intended to help Tim Miles, is doing the opposite.  It gives, for example, an excuse for all the football-only Husker fans on places like Red Sea Scrolls to embark--once again--on the Miles-needs-to-be-fired or given a very-short-leash rants.   Little or no excuse is needed for fake Nebrasketball fans to revel in such trashings.  This article is just one more excuse.

And I'm pretty sure we are still in the hunt for an important 2017 recruit.  Thanks a lot for your help, Barfknecht.

57 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This argument became total Bs when he came out mid season in support of his hire in football. 

What exactly will SE learn the next 3 weeks that he doesn't already know? Final record is it - which means by not saying anything he's telling everyone that Miles is coaching for his job the last month of the season. 

35 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

If that is/was the case, I think you might be on to why Lee has been firebombing the admin for the last year.

Chicken and egg.  Perhaps LJS was getting the leaks because of past "firebombing" by the OWH.  Anyway, after 15 years of Perlman's influence on the athletic department, I'm sick of all the craziness.   If I wasn't addicted to going to games in multiple sports, I would put principle behind my concerns and stop sending the bastards checks.

Edited by HB

5 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

This article, if it were intended to help Tim Miles, is doing the opposite.  It gives, for example, an excuse for all the football-only Husker fans on places like Red Sea Scrolls to embark--once again--on the Miles-needs-to-be-fired or given a very-short-leash rants.   Little or no excuse is needed for fake Nebrasketball fans to revel in such trashings.  This article is just one more excuse.

And I'm pretty sure we are still in the hunt for an important 2017 recruit.  Thanks a lot for your help, Barfknecht.

Don't blame Lee. I usually do but in this case there's only one person damaging the program and recruiting by not talking. His initials are SE. He could have cut the legs out of this story with a simple statement of support. By choosing not to he's sending a different message. Either the progress of the program is less important than his "policy" of not commenting mid season or he has thoughts of firing Miles. 

Any damage to the program lies at the feet of SE, not LB. 

Might I suggest that everyone obsessing about this article get a paper bag and begin breathing into it. I seriously doubt anyone outside the state of Nebraska really is interested in the fate of Tim Miles, or that any recruits are hanging on Barfy's words. Those who believe the "hot seat" has a tremendous effect on recruiting should see Pitino, Junior before getting too upset about this.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

As others have said - his "policy" of not saying anything during the season is very selective.  Seems pretty much code for saying I am not ready to publicly say what I am going to do.  When he knows what he is going to do he has no problem commenting - and sometimes even comments when he doesn't know.

I think in the end Miles will be back.  But if so it will be for the reasons mentioned by HB earlier in the thread.  Anyone who doubts that the coaches have been legitimately concerned this season about whether they will be retained just is not paying attention at all.  Recruits obviously know that issue is out there already - this article is not going to make them think Mile's tenure is less secure than they thought before reading it.  If anything it should give them some comfort to see a reporter saying it would be a mistake to get rid of Miles.  Not sure that recruiting is LB's point though.  I think he is trying to put some light onto what is going on behind the scenes with respect to possible moves to make a change which is something I think most (admittedly not all) of the posters here agree would be bad for the program at this point.  Again if you don't think SE went into this season with some expectation (some would say some hope?) that it would be Miles last then you are not paying attention.

Edited by HuskerBB