2017-18 Outlook

seaofred92

I know this season is still going on but wanted to start this thread since I think it is pretty interesting discussion: 

Starting 5: 

1. Watson (6'0 174)

2. Palmer (6'6 213)

3. Roby (6'8 214)

4. Morrow (6'7 234)

5. Tshimanga (6'11 275)

Rotation/Bench guys: 

Guards: 

Taylor (6'5 206)

Gill (6'3 195)

Akenten (6'6 200)

Wings: 

Horne (6'7 222)

McVeigh (6'8 215)

Bigs: 

Copeland (6'9 220)

Jacobson (6'9 239)

Quick observations: 

- I know that Akenten is supposed to be a dead eye shooter but man it is going to be tough for him to crack the rotation IMO. I think if he is going to take minutes from anyone, it is going to be Gill or McVeigh as I wasn't all that impressed with Gill when he was a part of the rotation this year and McVeigh has yet to show he can be consistent enough to count on in a night in night out basis. 

- I don't know that Fuller will be back here next year despite having a year left to play. I would think Miles would encourage him to Graduate Transfer and pursue signing another ball handler or a wing that could also play as a stretch big if needed (Edward Chang- looking at you).

- I really really think we need to find another ball handler to come off the bench. We will finally have enough size to truly compete in this conference but I worry that we won't have anyone besides Watson to bring the ball up the floor. (Taylor? Gill?)

- I'm looking for a big jump from Isaiah Roby both physically and mentally. We need this kid to step it up.

- I think Horne also has potential to be a really really special player if he figures it out and becomes more consistent. 

- Not sure what to expect from Palmer but he has the size and is supposedly a knock down 3 point shooter. We really need that. 

- Hopefully Copeland can play the full season. 

- I don't know what to do with our bigs. Jacobson probably helps us spread the floor better but Tshimanga makes us a much better rebounding team/bigger. Curious to see which direction Miles goes.

Overall, I think this team could be really special. This has the look and feel of a NCAA tournament type team. If Tim fails to make the dance with this bunch, I think it is probably safe to say he will be in very very hot water. 

We could show gradual improvement and make the ncaas.  An honest step forward and we could be pretty good.

2-3 ppg improvement (which isn't much... even against a rough schedule) against the same schedule and we're what... 4 games better minimum?  Which is flat out an ncaa team.

Do better and we are pretty good.  Given the talent infusion I expect we could be fairly solid next year... if they give miles the shot he has earned.

I just hope we can get Gill back to his normal self next season, because as you can tell he wasnt playing as well as he knows he can. You can see with the shots he took and his reactions that that was probably the worst basketball he's played. Maybe bringing Copeland here and those two going through rehab together and working out together and get them both to play their best basketball. In that case with those two playing like they can, I have no doubt we have the talent for the sweet 16.

I know here in Lincoln we tend to measure progress the way most people measure a glacier, but not next year. Making the NCAAs & competing for a B1G title should be a given. I think we will have a meteoric rise (ala Butler) and not only MAKE the Tourney, but have a deep run becoming the darlings of the Basketball world. There I said it...

Just now, Handy Johnson said:

I know here in Lincoln we tend to measure progress the way most people measure a glacier, but not next year. Making the NCAAs & competing for a B1G title should be a given. I think we will have a meteoric rise (ala Butler) and not only MAKE the Tourney, but have a deep run becoming the darlings of the Basketball world. There I said it...

This coming the year after we make a run to the Dance and win our first game there.

There I said it... :)

9 hours ago, PimpMario said:

The players look good but what about the coach?

Serious question is miles going to get better? Manage the refs better? Manage late game better? Run some inbound plays?

The coaching staff needs to have a good offseason.

Interesting premise on whether Miles could learn to "manage the refs better."  Care to elaborate?

38 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Interesting premise on whether Miles could learn to "manage the refs better."  Care to elaborate?

My guess is that this goes back to that crap about how Miles "yells" at the referees too much.  Him and his whole 1 technical this season need to take a chill pill.  I mean.... other coaches don't do that crap!  

My guess is that this goes back to that crap about how Miles "yells" at the referees too much.  Him and his whole 1 technical this season need to take a chill pill.  I mean.... other coaches don't do that crap!  

I don't think Miles yells at the refs too much. At least not noticeably more than some other coaches.

But it seems that the general consensus on this board is that we get the short end of the stick. If people truly believe that than hopefully Miles can take a step back and look at how to interact with the refs better to put his team on a level playing field.

Or maybe the refs just hate the name on the front of the jersey.

27 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I don't think Miles yells at the refs too much. At least not noticeably more than some other coaches.

But it seems that the general consensus on this board is that we get the short end of the stick. If people truly believe that than hopefully Miles can take a step back and look at how to interact with the refs better to put his team on a level playing field.

Or maybe the refs just hate the name on the front of the jersey.

It makes zero sense that Miles has anything to do with how are games are called.  If it was about interaction with the refs, compared to Tom Crean and Fran McRager,  are you kidding me?  

It makes zero sense that Miles has anything to do with how are games are called.  If it was about interaction with the refs, compared to Tom Crean and Fran McRager,  are you kidding me?  

Sometimes it can be more of a groupthink. Ie this coach has a worse reputation then others.

Cough bo pelini couch

Do you believe we get the short end of the stick when it comes to calls?

I would be curious to hear from those who do think we get the short end of the stick: is there anything to be done?

14 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

Sometimes it can be more of a groupthink. Ie this coach has a worse reputation then others.

Cough bo pelini couch

Do you believe we get the short end of the stick when it comes to calls?

I would be curious to hear from those who do think we get the short end of the stick: is there anything to be done?

Yes, I believe we get the short end of the stick more often than not.  No, I don't think it has anything to do with actions by Miles or reputation.   While comparing Fran's rage with Bo's might be apt, it certainly is not a valid comparison to Miles.   From my standpoint, the only thing to be done other than consistently reporting instances of inconsistent and blatantly wrong calls to the league office, is to get better.  Calls seem to follow long term coaches who are successful.  Miles should be starting to get some love after 6 years in the league, but I don't know if that will happen.   But Izzo  certainly gets the love, and then still whines when he doesn't' get every single call.  

Yes, I believe we get the short end of the stick more often than not.  No, I don't think it has anything to do with actions by Miles or reputation.   While comparing Fran's rage with Bo's might be apt, it certainly is not a valid comparison to Miles.   From my standpoint, the only thing to be done other than consistently reporting instances of inconsistent and blatantly wrong calls to the league office, is to get better.  Calls seem to follow long term coaches who are successful.  Miles should be starting to get some love after 6 years in the league, but I don't know if that will happen.   But Izzo  certainly gets the love, and then still whines when he doesn't' get every single call.  

So yeah Miles improving at winning will help with calls then!

@seaofred92 you have 3 players starting who aren't starting this season even though we only lose one senior.  And you might be right with those picks.  But it assumes a certain amount of development by those guys in order to beat out the guys who are already there.

I'd be curious to know what people think the odds are that the various newcomers will break into the rotation or starting lineup.  Palmer seems like a logical choice to step into the spot being vacated by Tai, simply because they are both shooting guards.  But I can certainly see scenarios play out where that doesn't happen.

So, look at the various options to fill each position and I'd say go from there.  Who are all the guys who could potentially play wing?  Handicap the odds for each one getting a starting nod.  Why are you going with that guy and what would the other players need to do to improve in order to be that guy instead?

I think that analysis might paint a slightly different picture than just naming a starting 5 and listing the rest of the bench,  because the reality is that only about 9 of 13 players are going to see solid minutes. And the separation between starters and top reserves might be pretty narrow at some spots.

On 2/21/2017 at 10:50 PM, seaofred92 said:

- I don't know that Fuller will be back here next year despite having a year left to play. I would think Miles would encourage him to Graduate Transfer and pursue signing another ball handler or a wing that could also play as a stretch big if needed (Edward Chang- looking at you).

Ed Chang is in the '18 class. Fuller staying or going won't have any impact on that. It's expected Fuller will go the grad transfer route after the year. I'd like to see another senior transfer guard take that spot or a HS kid.

6 hours ago, Jugular said:

The officials in the B10 are awful. The scheduling and contracts were a shitshow in the offseason. Hopefully the B10 offices make a huge effort to correct this for next season. 

Refs in general have been a crap-fest, it seems. I personally believe too many of 'em are slow & tend to anticipate calls all day. It's brutal.