Northwestern and Nebraska in the NCAA Tournament

jayschool

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Man, Virginia wins and all, but they can be really tough to watch at times...

Actually he re-did his contract so his buyout his 3 million until March 15, 2018. Bennett is a midwest guy so you could see him coming back this way at some point. Yeah, his stuff would be like watching paint dry....glorious winning paint.

Lon Kruger is your money whip guy on the fast paced but wins everywhere spectrum but you're talking about $4 a year plus buyouts. We're really going to foot the bill for that? We're not.

9 hours ago, nustudent said:

Kelvin Sampson, if a change is made

I forgot about KS. He's potentially/probably a 'dirty recruiter' but he only got busted for phone calls. Past that he's a guy who plays fast paced and wins almost everywhere, including Indiana. He'd win here, it would be fun to watch, and hopefully the wheels wouldn't fall off in the process. 

Can you get a guy like this or Bennett or Kruger lined up?  Then you have my attention. What in the holy name of our last two hires makes anyone think we have anything lined up? 

Edited by hhcdimes
Sampson is not a fast paced coach

Maybe it's just selection bias, but the times I've watched Virginia it's been very difficult to watch. But looking at their scores, they're better than I thought. And I can't argue with his results. He did win at Washington State, too. Supposedly he turned down Indiana before Crean took the job. I think he'd be a tough get.

29 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Maybe it's just selection bias, but the times I've watched Virginia it's been very difficult to watch. But looking at their scores, they're better than I thought. And I can't argue with his results. He did win at Washington State, too. Supposedly he turned down Indiana before Crean took the job. I think he'd be a tough get.

Without a doubt. We're talking about forking over Tom Izzo money (4mil/year) for a guy who probably turns that down.

Look at the $$$ committed to the football coach and WBB coach for the last 2 hires compared to what we were paying.  We didn't shell out $$$ for either of those. We're going to shell out $$$ for MBB? I know the athletic department budget is separate from the academic budget but we're going to money whip a coach while the administration is cutting departments? 

18 hours ago, swmckewon said:

If you pay big $$$ you are in almost anyone's league.  

We're a football school who takes pride in running a self-funded athletic department. Maybe that dynamic changes a bit when we're fully vested in the B1G but the thought of us paying into anyone's league in most any sport seems akin to thinking that Andrew White would be a first round draft pick if he could dribble, pass, and defend.

5 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I forgot about KS. He's potentially/probably a 'dirty recruiter' but he only got busted for phone calls. Past that he's a guy who plays fast paced and wins almost everywhere, including Indiana. He'd win here, it would be fun to watch, and hopefully the wheels wouldn't fall off in the process. 

Can you get a guy like this or Bennett or Kruger lined up?  Then you have my attention. What in the holy name of our last two hires makes anyone think we have anything lined up? 

Not really worried about the dirty recruiting tactics on him.   Two main reasons....one....eyes are on him...he has to be cleaner.....secondly...our compliance area is overly uptight on things.   Not sure any coach has much of a real chance to cheat with our admin.   And if he does cheat...so be it....what's going to happen....a postseason ban?   We already do that to ourselves.

Sampson has Houston ticking upwards.   If you are going to do it...now is the time before someone else bigger notices.

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Without a doubt. We're talking about forking over Tom Izzo money (4mil/year) for a guy who probably turns that down.

Look at the $$$ committed to the football coach and WBB coach for the last 2 hires compared to what we were paying.  We didn't shell out $$$ for either of those. We're going to shell out $$$ for MBB? I know the athletic department budget is separate from the academic budget but we're going to money whip a coach while the administration is cutting departments? 

We're a football school who takes pride in running a self-funded athletic department. Maybe that dynamic changes a bit when we're fully vested in the B1G but the thought of us paying into anyone's league in most any sport seems akin to thinking that Andrew White would be a first round draft pick if he could dribble, pass, and defend.

Nebraska is paying *a lot* of money for its football operation at this point - and it's about to pour more into it. Riley doesn't want/need more money. 

I think, if it's the right guy Nebraska might pay 2.5-3 million. And that number makes ears perk up. 

57 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Nebraska is paying *a lot* of money for its football operation at this point - and it's about to pour more into it. Riley doesn't want/need more money. 

I think, if it's the right guy Nebraska might pay 2.5-3 million. And that number makes ears perk up. 

What kind of ears, Sam?   Who listens at those figures for THIS job?   How big of a proven commodity?   I am skeptical (not that we would pay it, but that the right ears would perk up).