uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 26 - @ Ohio State

uneblinstu

Interesting and true side note. I taped this game and watched it late. For some reason the tape stopped ( why, I don't know) exactly as Glynn stepped to the free throw line. I was so upset I took a long shower before going to bed and figured I would check HHC to see if people were apoplectic about losing another last second game (as I anticipated) or about winning the game (which I thought unlikely). Maybe I should plan to do this routinely now.

I missed the game live and the recording stopped before Watson's free throw.  However, the suspense was gone as I had blundered into seeing the final score.  Much credit to Nick Fuller and Jack McVeigh for quality second half minutes.  This team competes and should be in every game left providing Webster holds up physically!  

Ugly game but great win. Good thing my wife was gone because I was screaming at the tv on some of those terrible calls. On a side note, I don't want to take all the credit for the win but when we were down 7 with 3 minutes left I realized I didn't have Husker gear on. I put on a vintage black Nebraska basketball shirt and the rest is history! You're welcome Husker nation! ?

1 minute ago, Buglem said:

Ugly game but great win. Good thing my wife was gone because I was screaming at the tv on some of those terrible calls. On a side note, I don't want to take all the credit for the win but when we were down 7 with 3 minutes left I realized I didn't have Husker gear on. I put on a vintage black Nebraska basketball shirt and the rest is history! You're welcome Husker nation! ?

So how many of the losses do we blame on you for not wearing Husker gear?

14 minutes ago, LK1 said:

This was my favorite win of the season for a number of reasons:

• Ohio State is a bad matchup for us.  They have a very talented team and are easily Thad's worst coaching job of his career.  OSU doesn't have any elite killers though, and that hurts them in crunch time.  I sincerely hope that's the last time we play them, because they're as talented top to bottom as anyone in the B1G.  I'm THRILLED with this win.
  • We were dreadfully missing Roby's length and athleticism in this game, which makes the win sweeter.  OSU's defensive athleticism and length are awful for Horne and McVeigh, and they put a ton of pressure on Jacobson.  
  • As I said at the beginning of the season (and was refuted by many), Morrow is the best PF in the conference, even though he's playing the 5.  I wouldn't trade him for any big in the league except Swanigan.  Complete game changer when healthy, and better than any bigs on OSU's roster.
  • Tai might mess around and make an NBA squad.  Who should doubt him at this point?  He's an elite defender (see last play) and a consistent, capable, and unorthodox scorer.  He'll get a look.  
  • Glad to see McVeigh show his resolve in the second half.  I was worried he was going to disappear.  Clearly there has been significant growth there as he figured out how to get open and kept us in the game at times with his great shooting.  
  • Once again, I loved Glynn's stat line:  14pts, 5rb, 2stl, 2ast, 0to.  I really feel like he's starting to understand what his role is from an efficiency standpoint (another quiet 14 points, though the last few were loud as hell) for THIS year's team.  I think next season he adds 2-3 points to his ppg, but the all around facilitating is huge for us.  I completely trust him with the ball.  
  • Jordy had a freshman game.  It happens.  He'll dominate this sort of game down the road with some weight training.  
  • I pray that Jacobson will work his way into a reliable offensive player.  He is a great defender (notice the steals the last couple of games) and awesome teammate, and watching he and Morrow just wear out other teams with pure heart and toughness is a true joy to watch.  

We were not supposed to win this game.  There's a whole lot of belief in that locker room that hasn't left despite our youth and injuries.  I think that's a testament to coaching.  I've enjoyed watching this team play as much as the midget squad Doc almost took to the tournament.  Every kid on this roster seems like a high character person, and that is extremely valuable moving forward.  They're going to win a shitload of games in the next couple of years.  

Again, this year is not lost by any stretch.  It's only going to get more interesting if we can stay relatively healthy.  

I am going to send this post to Mr. Eichorst.  

Early in the game, I started to wonder...what the point per possession was when on possessions where Jacobsen touched the ball.

It seemed that we didn't score unless Jacobsen at least touched the ball.

I coached a team once that I didn't allow a shot until our post player got at least one touch in the half court offense...it was amazing how much better our shot selection once we dedicated ourselves to making a good entry pass...

Webster was so important in the 1st half when we had absolutely nothing going, he just wouldn't let the game get away from us, took over offensively.

Also agree with what was written earlier on Fuller, not only forcing the held ball to set up the winning possession, but he kept the possession alive with about 1:40 to go by getting a hand in on Tate on a rebound, and I believe that was the possession that ended up with McVeigh getting the runner in the lane to make it a 2-pt game.

I'll have to go back and watch again, but it felt like we were +10 pts or so during the stretches of game when we played 1-3-1. That was a key decision. And I also liked how we went man final possession of the 1st half, when OSU took the timeout with around 12 sec left, as I'm sure OSU drew something up with the zone in mind. Good defensive switch up there.

Still have to wrap my head around how we won a game on the road where we never had a chance to even shoot a 1 and 1 the entire night. You get outscored by 10 at the FT line on the road, you usually lose by double digits.

5 hours ago, Buglem said:

On a side note, I don't want to take all the credit for the win but when we were down 7 with 3 minutes left I realized I didn't have Husker gear on. I put on a vintage black Nebraska basketball shirt and the rest is history! You're welcome Husker nation! ?

Welcome to my world!  :)

2 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

How many road wins in conference is that for us his year?

How  does that compare with Tim's other years?

Something else to look at when thinking of a coaching change.

Without looking, I believe we are 3-4 both on the road and at home.  Does that sound right?

Okay, I have now looked...we are 3-4 both at home and on the road.  Man, if we would just take care of our home court.

Edited by huskercwg

Notes

*-Nebraska improves to 1-3 in one-point games this season, including a one-point loss in the first meeting. The four 1-point games tied for third most in school history. Only the 1961-62 (7) and 2000-01 (5) teams have had more one-point games than the 2016-17 team
*-The 11-point deficit is the second time this year NU has overcame a double-digit deficit on the road (13, at Maryland) and fourth time NU has overcome a seven-point or greater deficit in Big Ten play. NU trailed by five with 32 seconds remaining.
*-Nebraska picked up its first-ever win in Columbus, as the Huskers were 0-7 in Columbus before today (0-4 since joining the Big Ten)
*-Tai Webster reached double figures for the 27th consecutive game dating back to last season. Webster joins Josh Hart (Villanova) as the only power conference players to reach double figures in every game, as FSU’s Dwayne Bacon was held scoreless today. Webster finished with 17 points
*-Jack McVeigh came off the bench for 11 points, his fifth double-figure effort in Big Ten play, including four off the bench.
*-Glynn Watson finished with 14 points, five boards and two assists without a turnover.
*-Ed Morrow’s 10 point effort was his first double-figure effort since Dec. 28 at Indiana.  NU is 2-1 since Ed Morrow returned with the only loss being an OT loss vs. Wisconsin.

3 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

3. It's the third time he's done that. That's the same number that Barry and Doc did it combined. Haven't won 4 conference road games this century. Didn't go back further than that. Would be curious what the last time they won 4 or dare I say 5?

3 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Nebraska has 3 road wins and 3 home wins. Huskers have 2 home losses by a point, one in OT. And 1 road loss by a single point as well.