B1G officiating: mission to screw Nebraska?

aphilso1

I've always thought that the "bottom-feeders", regardless of when NU was in Big 12 or Big 10, got the short end of the stick when it came to basketball officiating. Didn't Chambers of Penn St. go crazy a couple years ago when it appeared by watching on tv that Penn St. was getting screwed? I just have to laugh when Bill Self complains about calls during a game. And I always thought not getting preferential treatment is what hurt KU in the NCAA tournament. Same goes for Coach K and Roy Williams when it comes to getting upset at refs. 

9 hours ago, rr52 said:

I've always thought that the "bottom-feeders", regardless of when NU was in Big 12 or Big 10, got the short end of the stick when it came to basketball officiating. Didn't Chambers of Penn St. go crazy a couple years ago when it appeared by watching on tv that Penn St. was getting screwed? I just have to laugh when Bill Self complains about calls during a game. And I always thought not getting preferential treatment is what hurt KU in the NCAA tournament. Same goes for Coach K and Roy Williams when it comes to getting upset at refs. 

This.  Back in the day, NU had very little chance of upsetting the likes of KU, MU, KSU, ISU because NU was the perennial bottom-feeder and would never get any calls their way.  My brother said the only team that NU had a reasonable expectation of decent officiating was CU because they sucked too.

Every time I see Self, Williams or Krisczhershevski complaining I scream at them to shut up - they have absolutely nothing to complain about regarding officiating.  I live here in the heart of ACC country and always have to laugh that when Duke and UNC face off, the officials don't know which team to screw because they're so used to making it 8 on 5 whenever either one of them plays a different team.

46 minutes ago, NUtball said:

This.  Back in the day, NU had very little chance of upsetting the likes of KU, MU, KSU, ISU because NU was the perennial bottom-feeder and would never get any calls their way.  My brother said the only team that NU had a reasonable expectation of decent officiating was CU because they sucked too.

Every time I see Self, Williams or Krisczhershevski complaining I scream at them to shut up - they have absolutely nothing to complain about regarding officiating.  I live here in the heart of ACC country and always have to laugh that when Duke and UNC face off, the officials don't know which team to screw because they're so used to making it 8 on 5 whenever either one of them plays a different team.

Correct. These guys can't live with getting 9 out of 10 calls.  They need all 10 to go their way or they pitch a fit. 

Maybe it has something to do with the sport of basketball.  The NBA is notorious for refs giving preferential treatment to star players.  In college, it seems as though teams with no basketball pedigree get screwed, teams with star coaches get the benefit of the doubt, and if you're a team with no reputation playing against a star coach then you're just SOL.

Compare that with other major sports, both college and pro.  I don't follow hockey or the NFL, so I won't speak to them. 

College football: it seems like the home team is more likely to get the calls to go their way, rather than any particular team receiving preferential treatment.  I guess technically that means that Power 5 teams get a leg up, since they usually have 7 home games while the minnows of FCS get only 5 at home.  And while there are certainly instances where refs screw up an individual game to the point that it influences the outcome, in no way does officiating appear have a systematic bias in college football.

Baseball: Both at the MLB and college level, baseball really is fairly officiated.  A "poorly" umpired game is usually one where the home plate ump blows 4 or 5 balls/strike calls.  Seriously, 4 or 5 missed calls over the course of 3+ hours is considered terrible.  Compare that with college basketball, and it's not even close.  Plus, I've never felt like an ump had an axe to grind against either my Huskers or Phillies.  There is no SYSTEMATIC disadvantage in baseball.

Soccer: there's probably more subjectivity in soccer officiating than any other sport that I watch.  Calls vary drastically based on who's the head official, there's a ton of stuff that doesn't get called because there's only three refs on the field to watch 22 players (and two of them really aren't watching for fouls), and the whistle usually only gets blown if the fouled player 'sells' the foul.  All that being said, I again have never felt like my teams get shafted by a particular officiating crew intentionally.  Sure, there have been some incorrect calls that were big enough to swing the outcome of the game, but they seem to even out over time.  Much like football, soccer officiating seems to favor the home team.

The one thing about basketball is that the official blows their whistle and raises their arm for a foul or make a call...and I swear 20% they change their call in their head after they have blown the whistle...

in Football, you throw a flag, no changing the call in general.

in baseball you either call it out/safe....

But basketball, they blow their whistle and they have a half second to second to "explain" the call..

10 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

The one thing about basketball is that the official blows their whistle and raises their arm for a foul or make a call...and I swear 20% they change their call in their head after they have blown the whistle...

in Football, you throw a flag, no changing the call in general.

in baseball you either call it out/safe....

But basketball, they blow their whistle and they have a half second to second to "explain" the call..

Football referees have a lot longer than a half second to "explain" the call. They throw the flag and the play may keep going for ten seconds before they have to walk back to the white hat and explain what they saw. That's quite a bit of time. What does that have to do with basketball referees?

I'm not saying you're incorrect in saying some referees may change their call between the whistle and the call, but I have no idea where you're getting your 20% number from (other than from mid air).

5 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Football referees have a lot longer than a half second to "explain" the call. They throw the flag and the play may keep going for ten seconds before they have to walk back to the white hat and explain what they saw. That's quite a bit of time. What does that have to do with basketball referees?

I'm not saying you're incorrect in saying some referees may change their call between the whistle and the call, but I have no idea where you're getting your 20% number from (other than from mid air).

It is from Mid-air...speculation.

I observe and see officials blow their whistles on block/charge call as an example...and sometimes I feel they aren't sure which way they are making the call when they blow the whistle.