B1G officiating: mission to screw Nebraska?

aphilso1

1 hour ago, Wayne Pesek said:

139 D1 games are being played today, employing 417 referees.  I wouldn't go so far as to say there were 414 better referees, but then again, somebody had to be #415, #416 and #417.  These guys deserve a nomination.

Watched the Iowa game today, the short fat office got into it with a fan and immediately called an offensive foul on Iowa.  He also gave the call an extra don't screw with me.  We have had him several to es and he is by far the worst official.

25 minutes ago, jdw said:

Watched the Iowa game today, the short fat office got into it with a fan and immediately called an offensive foul on Iowa.  He also gave the call an extra don't screw with me.  We have had him several to es and he is by far the worst official.

Umm, respectfully I must disagree with you...Mr. Eades has the title of the worst.

4 hours ago, atskooc said:

The held ball at the end made up for a lot of shitty calls tonight. 

That was a shitty call in our favor. 

Probably a shitty call, but I've seen similar situations in which a player barely had their hands on the ball yet prompted a  jump ball call in NCAA games this year.

7 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Probably a shitty call, but I've seen similar situations in which a player barely had their hands on the ball yet prompted a  jump ball call in NCAA games this year.

While the player with the ball was being fouled by two different players?

It was a shitty call, and I loved it. 

5 hours ago, atskooc said:

While the player with the ball was being fouled by two different players?

It was a shitty call, and I loved it. 

What is interesting about the jump ball is that the officials consistently weren't giving players calls when they expected them or were trying to draw them.

Three times Evan Taylor went into the lane looking for a foul instead of playing basketball and trying to score...the officials said no dice and let it play on...

They did the same thing here...the Ohio State player was trying to get the foul instead of get out of the double team and the officials said no dice.

On 2/18/2017 at 9:34 PM, rr52 said:

When the media types say the officiating is bad is when you know it's bad. Sam McKewon's tweet says a lot. "I mention officiating rarely. Rarely! It stunk today.

This.  All day long.  You know it's starting to get bad when even the Jays homers at the OWH are publicly commenting on the officiating and how badly Nebraska is getting screwed.  LJS and Robin Washut with HOL seem a bit more apt to call this out but when an OWH writer says something about it...it's bad.  Although I'm pretty sure that a player would need to get maimed or killed without a ref calling a foul for Lee Barfknecht to acknowledge that NU might be getting screwed.

5 minutes ago, soxnskers said:

This.  All day long.  You know it's starting to get bad when even the Jays homers at the OWH are publicly commenting on the officiating and how badly Nebraska is getting screwed.  LJS and Robin Washut with HOL seem a bit more apt to call this out but when an OWH writer says something about it...it's bad.  Although I'm pretty sure that a player would need to get maimed or killed without a ref calling a foul for Lee Barfknecht to acknowledge that NU might be getting screwed.

I find it interesting that the LJS and OHW will call them out but the TV seem to think every call is good.  I don't remember the last time Steven Bardo watched a horrendous call take place and even mildly call an official out.  Has he?  Most likely, just seems as if the Big 10 has banned their TV guys from being critical of officials even when it is clear they need to be called out.

46 minutes ago, colhusker said:

I find it interesting that the LJS and OHW will call them out but the TV seem to think every call is good.  I don't remember the last time Steven Bardo watched a horrendous call take place and even mildly call an official out.  Has he?  Most likely, just seems as if the Big 10 has banned their TV guys from being critical of officials even when it is clear they need to be called out.

I thought Bardo defended our guys, especially Watson on the elbow strip and Morrow on his phantom 5th. However, I agree that announcers tend to back officials way too often. I would love to see them be more brutally honest.  I'm guessing they would be looking for a different job unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

I thought Bardo defended our guys, especially Watson on the elbow strip and Morrow on his phantom 5th. However, I agree that announcers tend to back officials way too often. I would love to see them be more brutally honest.  I'm guessing they would be looking for a different job unfortunately.

Yeah I specifically remember the Marrow 5th.  He said something to the effect of "that is just a bad call.  The guy was trying to back away from the contact."

What I find Interesting about the call on Watson is that ref was behind the play. No way can he make a call on it.he was probably anticipated the foul and blew the whistle. See AuroranHusker's comment above about being slow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Bugeaters1 said:

What I find Interesting about the call on Watson is that ref was behind the play. No way can he make a call on it.he was probably anticipated the foul and blew the whistle. See AuroranHusker's comment above about being slow.

That's where they get in trouble much of the time.  They have a preconceived notion about certain types of plays/movements that their experience tells them has to be a foul, so they blow the whistle before they can process what they really saw.

In their defense (I can't believe I just typed that), I tend to do the same thing with live action that a replay clearly shows nothing was there.

42 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I think my brethren mention that fact nearly every game, "Refs are slow." - And, as such, they do anticipate foul calls more than any other call on the court. Nebraska has had a reputation of hacking, so it clearly does not help NU's cause as these circumstances meet in a ballgame.

Well the Russian have a reputation for hacking and they never get called!

8 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

It must be a universal thing. But it does seem that the huskers get their fair share of shitty Calls.

Every fanbase thinks that, in some shape or form. It's fake news. #hacking

Edited by AuroranHusker

26 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

It must be a universal thing. But it does seem that the huskers get their fair share of shitty Calls.

I'll go back to a point I made in my initial post: I'm a fan of a wide range of teams across a wide range of sports (Nebrasketball, Husker baseball, Phillies baseball, Sporting KC soccer, USMNT soccer, Notre Dame football, Husker football), and I don't feel like any of those other teams get systemically jobbed.  Sure, there are games where the refs favor the opposing team, but in general calls even out over time.  Nebraska basketball is different though, for reasons unbeknownst to me.  Nebrasketball seems to never get the benefit of the doubt, and the best we can hope for is an evenly officiated game.  And that's becoming really rare...as in finding-a-unicorn-in-your-backyard rare.

5 hours ago, soxnskers said:

Sam isn't a Jay homer, he's a Nebraska fan.

4 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Sam isn't a Jay homer, he's a Nebraska fan.

I've subscribed to the OWH for years.  Love their sports section.  When they added McKewon to the staff, it was a great addition.  Guy knows his stuff.  Never met him, but I feel like he's family.  He was on this board long before working for the World Herald.  :)