B1G officiating: mission to screw Nebraska?

aphilso1

Horrendous.  It's unbelievable how many times Nebrasketball gets screwed.  It's bad enough that the TV commentators point out almost every game in conference season that we're the recipient of terrible calls.  And it's not like I'm "blame the refs" guy; Nebrasketball has more games stolen via officiating than all five of the other sports teams that I support combined.

Aphilso1 has this one right.  The wisdom of our play has no correlation to the officiating.  We had a couple calls go our way after the horrific Morrow call at least.  I am not a big officiating bitcher, but we have been on the short end for sure this season.  Probably resides somewhere in between what most here think and the truth. 

5 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I tend to agree.  We certainly get more than our share of crap calls, but when we have opportunities, we have to take advantage of them.

How about we get fair calls and take advantage of our opportunities? 

Some on here have that horrible attitude that I eluded to after the Wisconsin debacle. The "blame yourself, not the refs" attitude. Horrible excuse for fans trying to take the high road and say "oh well, it's okay we lost because we didn't deserve it" and "can't shoot yourselves in the foot and expect to win". The fact that we didn't take advantage of several opportunities has no correlation whatsoever to the fouls being 9-3 (prior to fouls to give fouls) in the second half.

Problem is I have yet to hear "Point of emphasis is calling a Nebraska game fair", as being an issue with the NCAA.  Our team aside, I don't think the NCAA cares much about consistency in the officiating crews.  Unless it's beyond a shadow of a doubt, the officials are always right and everyone else is always wrong. I mean in some cases we pay for our tickets just to see the officiating crews.  

58 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

How about we get fair calls and take advantage of our opportunities? 

Some on here have that horrible attitude that I eluded to after the Wisconsin debacle. The "blame yourself, not the refs" attitude. Horrible excuse for fans trying to take the high road and say "oh well, it's okay we lost because we didn't deserve it" and "can't shoot yourselves in the foot and expect to win". The fact that we didn't take advantage of several opportunities has no correlation whatsoever to the fouls being 9-3 (prior to fouls to give fouls) in the second half.

There's a big difference between the Wisconsin and OSU games though.  The officiating in the Wiscy game was horrible both ways.  Neither team knew how to make plays, because they had no idea if a foul/travel/etc would be called or not.  While I think the impact of the miscalls slightly favored the Badgers, it was not egregiously so.  I would guess that most Badgers fans felt that their team got an unfair amount of bad calls against them, and neutral observers would just say it was terribly officiated across the board.

Tonight, by contrast, falls in the same bucket as the Michigan game (as well as Iowa, Northwestern, and MSU to a lesser extent).  Those games were terribly officiated in a way that made a clear and consistent advantage for one team over another.  I'd argue that had the Penn State game been called that way, we may very well have lost it rather than win in a blowout.  The one thing that the OSU and Wiscy games have in common is that their fans likely left feeling like they didn't get a fair shake.  In Wiscy's case, they had a reasonable reason to think that.  In OSU's case, it's more because their fans only watch the last 2 minutes, so the jumpball call is the only thing they'll remember.

42 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Morrow's foul out was the shittiest call I've seen all year. Usually when a guy goes straight up, at least against us, there's no call. Ed was straight up AND giving ground. Just terrible!

It was bad, but worse than Watson's fourth foul tonight?  Or worse than when Jack "fouled" a Michigan player attempting a 3, but replay showed he never got within a foot of the shooter?  Or worse than when Jordy fouled out in 17 minutes in Iowa CIty, with replay showing that he went straight up on three of the "fouls"?  Unfortunately, there's a LOT of competition for worst call of the year.  

The worst part is that at the end of the day people are only talking about the one missed call by the refs on the jump ball at the end of the game, no one from Ohio state or the big ten is going to look at how poorly the first 39 minutes of the game were called.

Also 39 minutes into the game Ohio state had been called for 7 fouls. They ended with ten, two of which were intentional because they had fouls to give, and then Glenn's play at the end of the game. For context, Glynn and Ed alone had 9 at that point.

I heard that referees have horrendous schedules.  After a night game, fly and the next day ref a afternoon game type thing.  Tough job, I wouldn't want it.  Hard to be sharp game in, game out.  Can the league do something about maybe hiring more officials?  I wonder how games are assigned.  Should a crew that does an 3 OT game on a Saturday night maybe not have a short turn around for their next game.  Could there be Improved grading or feedback processes?  I'm sure there are analytics that can be applied to referees, could that help?

I got it, lets just get so good, bad calls don't matter because we win by 30 all the time. :)