Roby's 2nd Foul

big red22

Yup, they called Isaiah for a reach.  Definitely a "touch" foul, which was strange because they weren't calling them much last night.  The one that caused me the most angst was when Evan was called for (I guess) an arm bar.  That was happening all over the floor and they called it right in front of our bench.  Then I was a tad upset when Evan got a rebound and was absolutely mugged which resulted in a steal, and no call.

But I agree with Norm, I will certainly take the way that game was called over many, many others.  The one referee last night seemed to dominate the calls though...

9 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Then I was a tad upset when Evan got a rebound and was absolutely mugged which resulted in a steal, and no call.

I was screaming at the refs and at Shon Morris who gave Taylor a hard time for 'fumbling' the ball away.  The PSU player (think it was Reaves) bumped him from behind AND did the wrap around reach to smack Taylor's arm.  Not sure how they missed that.

I know this will probably sound weird given some of the obvious things mentioned above that they messed up, but given how most of the games this season seemed to be called i think this was close to the best officiated game we've gotten all year.  Obviously the bar is not set very high and it may be some recency bias due to the debacle that the Wisconsin game was but overall there wasn't a TON to complain about tonight.

I thought it was a consistent game by the officials.  It took a while to figure out they were going to let the guys play inside (which I think is the way to call it) but were all over the hand checks out front.  Definitely consistent and I'd take those officials anytime over some we've had.

Eye-of-the-beholder is always an issue.

Evan, for example, had a tomahawk blocked by the Penn St. center.  The announcers called "no foul" because the center's hand got all-ball.

But what they failed to notice, from my perspective, was the pancake (I don't think they keep such statistics in basketball too).  Evan ended up on his back at the center's feet, following a full-body collision.  If there is no foul, we would all be booing.  But the announcers and the Penn St. coach viewed the pancake as irrelevant.  Granted, Evan lost no blood.  But still . . . 

When did getting all ball up top on a block...but hammering a guy after the block or nailing him with the body...become Okay.

When i played competitive ball...the block had to be absolutely clean...if not, it was a foul...to allow a guy to hammer a guy after he gets all ball is giving him an advantage to go through a player to get a blocked shot.

45 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Eye-of-the-beholder is always an issue.

Evan, for example, had a tomahawk blocked by the Penn St. center.  The announcers called "no foul" because the center's hand got all-ball.

But what they failed to notice, from my perspective, was the pancake (I don't think they keep such statistics in basketball too).  Evan ended up on his back at the center's feet, following a full-body collision.  If there is no foul, we would all be booing.  But the announcers and the Penn St. coach viewed the pancake as irrelevant.  Granted, Evan lost no blood.  But still . . . 

Exactly.  Announcers either miss the body contact, or they don't think its a foul.   Which is ridiculous.  That contact almost always affects play.