uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 25 - Penn State

uneblinstu

Well you gave great answers so I'll ask another one. The foul fairly late in the game when Tai absolutely got body checked at the FT line was rightly called as a foul. However, it was not a "basketball" play and it seems to me like the PSU player was VERY intentional about knocking Tai down. Why wouldn't that qualify as a flagrant foul? And is that the kind of thing the league could revue and act upon resulting in a game suspension or something?

Edited by KZRider

Resolve. You know when a season goes south and a team just folds? Well, that could've/should've been Nebraska about 3-4 times already this year. And every time you think it could/should happen they come back and win a big game. Yes, tonight was a big game. No, we haven't always kept momentum and won the ones we think we should have, but major credit goes to this coaching staff and the character of this team. They always believe they will get the next one regardless of what happened the last time out. They go out and fight. This is the identity of this Nebraska team. Proud.

So who has improved more over the course of the season?  Jack or Jordy?  Both don't even resemble the guys we saw early in the season.

i agree with those who think this team can make a run in the conference tourney.  Wisconsin is the best team in the league and we all saw how close we played them with over 20 turnovers.  We are SO close to turning the corner.  If we can get hot at the right time we can do this.  I love the collection of players Miles has assembled.  

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think part of it might be conditioning. When he first went to the bench in the first half, it was still pretty early. But I saw him signal to Miles to take him out of the game because he was apparently winded.

Against Wisconsin, he was tripped in the first half and landed flat on his front.  He got up a little gingerly and didn't quite have the same zip after that.  Tonight he seemed to pop his knee in the first half and kind of took one of those limp, skip steps before trotting to the other end of the floor.  He might be banged up a bit.

I laughed when he did that - I thought he was just displaying his care-free attitude!

7 hours ago, KZRider said:

Well you gave great answers so I'll ask another one. The foul fairly late in the game when Tai absolutely got body checked at the FT line was rightly called as a foul. However, it was not a "basketball" play and it seems to me like the PSU player was VERY intentional about knocking Tai down. Why wouldn't that qualify as a flagrant foul? And is that the kind of thing the league could revue and act upon resulting in a game suspension or something?

I kind of wondered about that as well.  Didn't see it live, only the aftermath of Tai in a heap on the floor.  The replay made it look like Reaves tried to plow into him.

I doubt they would do anything because it wasn't ridiculously blatant.

Nice win...we looked so much better than Penn State.

Jordy looked a bit gimpy.  He is really progressing (props to the coaches for his development), but I was glad he played limited minutes.  We need him down the stretch.

Tai looked a bit gimpy.  He didn't have the best scoring night, but he was effective with the pass.  Loved to see the open players knock down the shot.

Hope Isaiah is okay.  It didn't look good when he went down.  He was finally playing close to the anticipated expectations.

Ed is still shaking off the rust.  I imagine he is a bit frustrated.

Jack's half court shot...nice!  Isaiah's back-to-back dunks, super nice! 

29 minutes ago, NUtball said:

I kind of wondered about that as well.  Didn't see it live, only the aftermath of Tai in a heap on the floor.  The replay made it look like Reaves tried to plow into him.

I doubt they would do anything because it wasn't ridiculously blatant.

I can gif this if someone can supply me an approximate game time

News and notes from the U + 1 from me.

Pat Chambers hasn't still hasn't played us within 10 in Lincoln and that includes Doc at the Devaney

-----------------------

Nebraska Postgame Notes

*-Nebraska’s 16-point win was its largest in conference play this season. Prior to tonight, NU’s four wins were by a combined 12 points

*-Nebraska’s 18 assists were the second-highest total of the season (19 vs. South Dakota).

*-Jack McVeigh tied for team-high honors with 15 points, the third time in the last five games he tied or led the team in scoring

*-Nebraska is now 7-1 when scoring 80 or more points this season.

*-Nebraska’s 55.4 percent shooting was its best since shooting 56.2 percent at Michigan on Jan. 14

*-Nebraska’s 45-point first half tied a season high for the first half (South Dakota).N

*-Nebraska shot 63 percent in the first half, its best shooting half of the season. NU’s previous high was 61.5 percent in the first half at Michigan

*-Tai Webster reached double figures for the 26th straight game dating back to last season, as he finished with 12 points and six assists. It is the fifth straight game he has had at least five assists – the longest stretch of his career.

*-Jordy Tshimanga reached double figures for the third time in the last four games, finishing with 12 points and seven rebounds. He has had seven or more rebounds in each of the last four contests.

Senior Guard Tai Webster

On Jordy’s improvements

“He’s starting to click. Guys are finding him in spots where he can really be effective. We’re finally seeing what Coach Miles brought him here to do. He’s been playing well and staying out of foul trouble. Obviously, that has been a big emphasis for him because he brings such a defensive presence for us. When he’s on the court, he’s our best-five (lineup) when we need defense. Just staying away from those fouls is where we need him because he can get in there and play more minutes and be more productive for us. Plus it takes a lot of pressure off of me and [Glynn Watson Jr.] to have a big guy be in there to just throw it up to.”

On opponents adjusting to Jordy

“[Opponents] have to respect [Jordy]. They have to send two or they have to do a good job of forcing him to shoot what

they think is a bad shot.”

Sophomore Forward Jack McVeigh

On tonight’s offense

“We’ve been really emphasizing ball movement and stuff like that. When you get everyone working well together and everyone clicking, offense becomes a lot easier. I don’t know what the assist was tonight but I bet you it was pretty decent. It was good when we had inside presence as well like getting some easy buckets in there. Everything was just working. It was just one of those nights.”

On reducing turnovers

“[The assist-to-turnover ratio tonight is what we wanted] especially after the last game where we had 22 turnovers. It was a pretty big emphasis in practice because that really hurt us last week. So we did a better job tonight.”

Freshman Center Jordy Tshimanga

On moving the ball

“The ball was moving very smoothly today. We’ve been doing that previously, but today was good in terms of ball movement.”

On his improvements

“I felt like I can score more and not missing as many shots as I was earlier in the season. I have to cut down my turnovers though. I have too many these days.”

Nebraska Coach Tim Miles

On pace of game and second-half mindset:

“The last eight minutes you’re like ‘try not to get too paranoid.’ We had such good pace the whole game, and I thought our guys were fairly locked in on the defensive game plan. Early on, we allowed way too many points, but I thought we were much better in the second half. I thought it was important to go out and get a good start at the rim.”

On playing tough:

“There’s no doubt you need a shot of confidence and a game like this can do that for you. I think these guys understand the hard work that goes into preparation and how to put that into work. We have a saying that the toughest team sets the rules. Tonight, I added and the most discipline team wins the game. We need both. Tonight, we were pretty good that way.”

On how offense kept going strong and Roby’s athleticism:

“First of all, we got more transition. We were good at the rim. If we’re good at the rim, we’re good. When we are bad at the rim, we’re bad. Not every team is designed like that, but we are. So because we were able to get transition, Roby had those two plays in a row that really kept momentum in the second half when you really could have gotten mulled, and that stretched the lead. Those were big plays.  They show his athleticism, and why we need him because he is so good in transition. He keeps running. He can run the floor all day. Some guys can run the floor the first six, seven minutes, but Roby can go all day.”

On pace of offense:

“I think our pace was good. What I mean by pace is how good we cut, how good we ran, and how well we shared the ball. We kept passing it and passing it.”

Penn State Patrick Chambers

Opening Statement:

“Nebraska played terrific. They did a great job. It seemed like everything was going right for them. The last time we gave up 45 points in the half, it has been a while. They moved a lot quicker. They cut with a purpose. And obviously in the second half, they did a nice job guarding us. I knew we had to make eight 3s to stay in this game because of their defensive style. We didn’t make shots. They made a lot of shots. So give them credit; as far as us, we’ll get back to work. No time to scream and yell. We just have to keep getting this young team better, keep developing habits, teaching them how to compete on the road in a hostile environment. (It is) Definitely going to be a learning lesson for us tonight. Hopefully we can carry that with us on our seven days off approaching, and we can be that much better down the stretch.”

On falling behind in the second half:

“Looks that way in the second half. I don’t want to use that as an excuse. You are 18 to 23 year olds, you’re doing something that you love. I thought we did all the right things in preparing them. Using our intelligence by keeping their bodies in mind and their minds in mind. We scaled back a little bit. We did a decent job hanging in there. They [Nebraska] hit a half-court shot, if they didn’t hit that you’d only be down by five. That the energy or juice that you need, but that wasn’t the case. They looked fresh and use a lot of different line ups and that kind of wore us down.”

On Tim Miles:

“I’ve been watching Tim [Miles] for years now, he always does a good job defensively. They play a pack style, they change the post every now and then which is coverages often. Give them credit, their defense was on point. And give them credit, they’ve been playing good basketball. A Free-throw here, a rebound there and their records is much different.”

On Jordy Tshimanga:

“I like him. He was a late pick-up, but he’s really talented, big body. [He has] good feet, good hands. He is an elite finisher. He did some good things and hit them on a lot of rolls. Obviously our ball screen defense needs work and we will continue to work on that. He had a great game, definitely a great first half.”

I know Morrow didn't have his best game with the turnovers, but I love the way he seals shot-blockers on the inside when our guards are driving. He did that on back to back plays after he came in the first time last night, first on a Webster drive on the baseline and then on a Roby drive on the baseline off a pass from Tai. Gives the guards an uncontested layup. Very savvy.

Our post players gave us 18 pts and 11 boards in 33 min. I'll take that 10 games out of 10. Been a while since we could get that kind of production out of the 5 spot. And still room to improve as they combined for 7 turnovers - short-term future is very bright as Jordy continues to improve and Morrow gets back into game flow.

Going to be an interesting stretch run with us finally being back to full strength. Should be a lot fun.

Edited by throwback

11 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

Here are a few things I jotted down while watching tonight.

• Morrow needs to keep the ball high...in the last two games, bad things have happened when he has tried to dribble it after a rebound
  • Half court shots to end a half can sometimes hurt intensity....the first couple minutes of the second half were important to see the team didn't relax
  • Morrow was playing tight defense on 24 when the ball was on the opposite side three point line, not sure if that was intentional...during that play a drive to the basket Morrow as not able to provide help in time.
  • McVeigh played help defense with both feet in the lane when the ball was two passes away and the ball was below the free throw line...Evans and Roby only had one foot in the lane...but none of the Three were near the middle of the lane....Interesting if this was by design to give them each an extra step to recover on a skip pass to protect against the 3 point shot
  • Confidence...if you ever wondered what a difference it makes....Look at Jack McVeigh...He is a different player than he was 6 weeks ago.

-IMO, there are two changes that Morrow should be working on in the off-season: keeping the ball high (as you astutely pointed out) when he receives it in the low post, and learning to pass out of the low post.  He's great 1-on-1 against anyone trying to stop him down low, but teams seem to double and even triple-team him because they know he's not going to pass.  Find the open guy Ed, and don't put the ball on the deck.  The rest of his game is excellent.

-I'm glad you commented on the whole one/two feet in the lane bit.  I felt like we played closer to true man-to-man principles than normal, which resulted in far fewer wide-open 3pt attempts.  But I couldn't really put my finger on exactly what was different.  I think you nailed it on the head there.

I know Glynn has had some monster offensive performances this year, but I thought last night was his most prolific all-around game this season.  You know a kid is becoming a leader when he has a quiet 15 points (which is basically Webster every game).  But this is a phenomenal stat line from GWIII:15 pts on 5-8 shooting

1-2 from 3

4-4 FT

5 Assists.  0 Turnovers.

4 rb 

That's a hell of a night.  

As for Jordy, I agree with the sentiment, but I've been saying it all year--he's already been putting up these kinds of numbers per minute.  He just needed more minutes.  The kid is the truth, and he seems to be a great teammate.  

Ed's stats didn't show up tonight, but he did a lot of little things defensively, on the glass, and offensively without the ball that really helped the team.  

I thought Jacobson had a great defensive night.  3 steals, 2 blocks, 5 DReb and 2 fouls is lovely.  

----

I've said before that I really want to see Ed and Jordy on the court at the same time.  I still feel that way to some extent, but not if we are having this many fresh bodies at the 4.  The Jacobson-Roby-Horne rotation is totally fine with me, but I want it to happen every game.  I think the only spot Jack can play is the 3, and I'm totally fine with that (hopefully we learned our lesson against UW).  He was great, and that's a nice rotation with him and Taylor--very different looks that force adjustments.  Regardless of Morrow's full health, his availability makes our rotations at the 5, 4, and 3 possible.  It gets completely screwed up without him.  

I'm pretty excited to see how this year plays out.