uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 25 - Penn State

uneblinstu

I wish we had half as many posts on here after winning as we do when we lose.  I can come on here after a loss and read for hours.  I come here after a win and am done in 5 minutes

Wayched the last 8 minutes or so.  Excellent win.  I am still hopeful for THIS year.  We can hang... beat... anyone if we are healthy and play well.  Gotta stay out of the last 4.  That's a must!

Loved how we showed we can play with a lead.  We haven't had enough chances to do that to learn to be good at it.  We have struggled this year in that position for the most part.  We can beat anyone in the league.  We are going to need to do that at least 4 times in D.C.  Best we start learning to play with a lead, as we are going to need to close out the games we get one in to win 4 in a row. 

Here are a few things I jotted down while watching tonight.

• Morrow needs to keep the ball high...in the last two games, bad things have happened when he has tried to dribble it after a rebound
  • Half court shots to end a half can sometimes hurt intensity....the first couple minutes of the second half were important to see the team didn't relax
  • Morrow was playing tight defense on 24 when the ball was on the opposite side three point line, not sure if that was intentional...during that play a drive to the basket Morrow as not able to provide help in time.
  • McVeigh played help defense with both feet in the lane when the ball was two passes away and the ball was below the free throw line...Evans and Roby only had one foot in the lane...but none of the Three were near the middle of the lane....Interesting if this was by design to give them each an extra step to recover on a skip pass to protect against the 3 point shot
  • Confidence...if you ever wondered what a difference it makes....Look at Jack McVeigh...He is a different player than he was 6 weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Here are a few things I jotted down while watching tonight.

• Morrow needs to keep the ball high...in the last two games, bad things have happened when he has tried to dribble it after a rebound
  • Half court shots to end a half can sometimes hurt intensity....the first couple minutes of the second half were important to see the team didn't relax
  • Morrow was playing tight defense on 24 when the ball was on the opposite side three point line, not sure if that was intentional...during that play a drive to the basket Morrow as not able to provide help in time.
  • McVeigh played help defense with both feet in the lane when the ball was two passes away and the ball was below the free throw line...Evans and Roby only had one foot in the lane...but none of the Three were near the middle of the lane....Interesting if this was by design to give them each an extra step to recover on a skip pass to protect against the 3 point shot
  • Confidence...if you ever wondered what a difference it makes....Look at Jack McVeigh...He is a different player than he was 6 weeks ago.

Enjoy this type of detailed insight.  Please continue in the future when you get a chance. 

Blindcheck,  I was thinking the same thing about Jack. After he nearly cost us the Dayton game, he really lost his mojo and fell into a funk.   By late December and early January, he would come into games, play some defense, pass the ball around, but very little else especially not looking for his shot. I think he finally decided that he would  rather play than not play and so he has taken advantage of his opportunities. As a result, little by little, he has gotten his confidence back and is beginning to play the best basketball of his career.   He now has a role coming off the bench that he is comfortable with. I expect he is going to continue to play well for the remainder of the season. 

Just now, KZRider said:

Question: Unless it is just my imagination, it does not seem like Jordy plays many minutes at all in the 2nd half of any games. Is that correct? If so, any idea why?

It isn't your imagination.  I think it is a product of coincidence mainly.  Often times, it is foul trouble and he has sometimes struggled to regain his flow.  And tonight, I think it was Miles wanting to match up with their small lineup since we had the lead.  Just speculation on my part, but I think it is somewhat correct. 

1 minute ago, KZRider said:

Question: Unless it is just my imagination, it does not seem like Jordy plays many minutes at all in the 2nd half of any games. Is that correct? If so, any idea why?

My guess...is it is still a trust factor...For him to play either Jacobsen or Morrow have to be on the bench.

I think right now, Miles trusts Jacobsen and Morrow more....Jordy will earn that trust as he continues to play better...but I think sometimes as fans we overthing substitutions and many times gut feel and trust by the coaches determines who plays..especially in the second half.

I do think coaches come in with a game plan on playing time in the first half...but by the 15 minute mark in the second half, I think gut and feel takeover...

Some of my thoughts:

I said it a couple of weeks ago. Jordy  is on a trajectory that, if he continues to develop at this pace, and assuming some hard work in the weight room over the summer, he will be one of the better big men in the Big 10 by this time next year. 

His value should have been obvious tonight. He has a lot of mass to push against, which allows him not only to establish good position on the offensive end but  also keep the opposing big man out of the lane. Credit to him for the defense he played tonight.   He kept in front of his man and was able to defend without fouling. On the offensive end,  we saw what a weapon he can be when we enter the ball to the post. 

Isaiah has finally played his way off the bench and back into the regular rotation probably taking Jeriah's place in the process. Jeriah did not have a very good game and was trying to force things which did not work out so well for him.   Isaiah, on the other hand, is continuing his aggressive play from last week against Wisconsin.

I hope to heck  his ankle injury is minor. We have seen how injuries can cause a lot of regression in someone's game. We do not want him to backslide at all. His game is finally coming around.    The one thing Isaiah really needs to develop is a reliable three point jumper. He is so often left open that we need him to be able to make the defenses pay. 

Our back court continues to be a strength for us. With Jordy  coming along, we now have another way in which we can score in the paint, which is really beneficial. Plus, he's just so long that he snags a lot of rebounds. When you add to that the fact that Jack is finally finding his range again, it means that we  become a fairly formidable opponent.   Let's knock off Ohio State and prove to ourselves that we are a better team than we thought we were. 

9 minutes ago, KZRider said:

I think part of it might be conditioning. When he first went to the bench in the first half, it was still pretty early. But I saw him signal to Miles to take him out of the game because he was apparently winded.

Against Wisconsin, he was tripped in the first half and landed flat on his front.  He got up a little gingerly and didn't quite have the same zip after that.  Tonight he seemed to pop his knee in the first half and kind of took one of those limp, skip steps before trotting to the other end of the floor.  He might be banged up a bit.