Coach's Show

HB

I thought the radio show last night was interesting, and recommend a listen to those with time.  Molinari appeared for Miles, and was pretty direct and candid.  Two items of interest among many covered:   He mentioned that losing Gill hurt  our 3 point defense a lot.  We only have 3 true guards without him, Tai, Glynn and Evan.  Gill could fight through picks and close out with his athleticism, and we are considerably more limited defensively without him.  We only gave up six 3s a game before he went out.  It didn't come off to me as an excuse; just as analysis.  As my editorial, it's interesting how at least 90% of the posts  about Gill had to do with offense.   Typical of message boards and fans.  

Secondly, Greg was asking if the team would be able to keep coming back from the close losses.  Coach said he had no doubt it would.  First of all it takes on the persona of Coach Miles, and this team just plays hard.   The fans seem to like this team for its effort and character, despite the record, and its easy to see that.  

Finally, Greg and he jousted about the proposed rule changes, for which we have a separate thread.  I would have just said "Change is bad".  ;)

It's unfortunate that Mo doesn't go on the radio more since he's typically a good listen. There really isn't a compelling reason for those guys to go on after they get established though. (When's the last time you heard Kenya on the radio other than the Coach's show.)

1 hour ago, HB said:

As my editorial, it's interesting how at least 90% of the posts  about Gill had to do with offense.   Typical of message boards and fans.

That's because the majority of the nights he was forcing terrible shots and the stats back up the eye test. He was typically one of the worst options in what was not a good pre-conference offense. Hopefully it was a product of his leg not being quite right/pressing himself to be a scorer.

Taylor was the major benefactor of the available minutes from Gill. He's cringe worthy from 3 and maybe even from 2 but he can finish at the rim. Typically he's looking to set up teammates vs creating his own shot. One of the advantages to Taylor's defense is that he shoots less than Gill did and thus his defense didn't come with the expectations/baggage that Gill has for being a former Top 50 recruit. I think we'd be a bit better defensively with more Gill but we'd more than likely be worse offensively. Maybe we're able to play Tai less than 35 minutes a game or maybe Taylor never gets established.  Lots of whatifs both ways.

Perhaps, but we'd see a fresher Tai and Glynn, too, so perhaps their numbers would be a little better, too. There are a lot of things Gill's absence impacts. All of this you mentioned.

It's interesting, in the first eight games of the season he was 8/38 from the floor, that's and abysmal .211 rate from the floor. In the last four before he got hurt, he hit 8/21, a much more palatable .381. That's a pretty small sample size, granted, but we were starting to see him trend in the direction we were expecting from him offensively. He had 10 points in that game vs. Southern. Jeriah Horne gets all the attention in that one, but Gill's contributions were huge, too. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not willing to concede that the offense would have been worse off had Gill remained healthy.

Edited by uneblinstu

41 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

It's interesting, in the first eight games of the season he was 8/38 from the floor, that's and abysmal .211 rate from the floor. In the last four before he got hurt, he hit 8/21, a much more palatable .381. That's a pretty small sample size, granted, but we were starting to see him trend in the direction we were expecting from him offensively.

We certainly might have seen him trend up. However, you're also telling me that he went from being abysmal to shooting at an Evan Taylor level (in terms of eFG%), which isn't great. 

Getting back to @HB point about just focusing on offense I would say that our defense has suffered since non-con started though I attributed that more to us playing the freshman more, which is another way of saying Gill's injury. (and Morrow's)

I get the statement about Gill and the 3pt defense in theory - but never really saw Anton focus much on the defensive side when he was playing.   I think he has the athleticism to be a lock-down defender and I hope he comes back with the attitude to do that next season.  I think his upside defensively is probably higher than his offensive potential at this point (although I certainly hope I am wrong about his offense - but inconsistent shooter has been the label for him since before he got to NU).