PER

FredsSlacks

our PERs kind of tell the story of this season. not that this stat means everything, but it was interesting to see.

gill had a shockingly bad PER, and we went on our winning streak after he got hurt.

Ed's PER is just as good as Tai's which would explain why things fell apart after he got hurt.

tai-19.7

Ed-19.7

watson-18.8

jacobson-15.2

jordy-13.9

jack-13.5

jeriah- 13.5

roby 10.5

taylor- 9.4

fuller- 3.3

gill-2.7

For those who had to google PER (like me) the player efficiency rating was developed for NBA players and I'm not sure how well it extrapolates to the NCAA where the players compete against opponents of a vastly different caliber. It is an attempt to mathematically rate the value of individual players and has been criticized as underrating defensive skills. For anyone who wants to choke on their breakfast coffee, there is a long mathematical formula to peruse. A rating of 15 is considered acceptable, which makes Miles a coaching genius with only 4 players available to compete at that level. I'm not a math guy so it is a bunch of gibberish to me, but I realize many find these things interesting and Bill James is a guru to many. Since he is a long time Red Sox employee, went to KU and is a big fan of the Jayhawks, sabermetrics in any sport seem to have value. Personally, I prefer to make up my own mind about a player's value after watching them play. Anyway, thanks for an interesting post on a slow day at HHC.

Edited by jimmykc

Interestingly enough, that's almost exactly the list I would've given if asked to rank our players by efficiency.  I would've listed both Horne and Taylor above Jack, but otherwise that order is spot on.  So since it confirms my biases, I give the metric two thumbs up.

Did you run those numbers yourself? What adjustments do you/did you make for the college game? 

McVeigh's numbers are very interesting to me - I've been wanting to see what the numbers say about the value of him on the court. Because for Miles to hold back Horne because of defensive errors and play McVeigh is highly suspect to me. McVeigh doesn't necessarily make mistakes hand over fist, he's just not athletic enough to make some of the plays I think a better athlete could make. 

Here are the BIG's top 10 in PER:

Ethan Happ Wisconsin                 34.02.

Caleb Swanigan Purdue                 26.73.

Trevor Thompson Ohio State         26.54.

Moritz Wagner Michigan                 25.45.

Mike Watkins Penn State                24.76.

Peter Jok Iowa                                 24.67.

Thomas Bryant Indiana                 24.28.

Isaac Haas Purdue                         23.99.

James Blackmon Indiana            22.710.

Derrick Walton Michigan               22.4

For PER, the average player is 15, I think.

9 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Here are the BIG's top 10 in PER:

Ethan Happ Wisconsin                 34.02.

Caleb Swanigan Purdue                 26.73.

Trevor Thompson Ohio State         26.54.

Moritz Wagner Michigan                 25.45.

Mike Watkins Penn State                24.76.

Peter Jok Iowa                                 24.67.

Thomas Bryant Indiana                 24.28.

Isaac Haas Purdue                         23.99.

James Blackmon Indiana            22.710.

Derrick Walton Michigan               22.4

For PER, the average player is 15, I think.

Wow....... eye opening. All of those guys minus Blackmon, Jok, and Walton are 4ish's and 5's. Good to know there's at least some statistical evidence behind my buddies and I constantly agreeing we need an elite swing 4 guy.