Random observations

bobcat402

So I was at the arena early yesterday ( I work event security part time) and I caught some of warmups, thought I'd share my musings:

-Palmer is a big guard, and will be a great slasher for us, good luck stepping in front of him, think he shall not be named if he could dribble

-roby like MJ has pretty form, I'd almost wish they'd shorten his jump though ala what Tai has done.

-I love mcveigh pregame routine it's no nonsense, and very repeatable, and his shots are all things he'd do in game 

- finally a walk on caught my eye, Mohammed Elradi has Ray Allen type quickness in his shot release, one of the quickest I've ever seen and he is a bit of. Dead eye shooter, one too keep your eye on if you looking for the next Velander 

Edited by bobcat402

10 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

The question is, can Palmer shoot like Volde...HWSNBN III?

I don't think we necessarily need him to shoot at that guys clip. We will have Jack and Horne. And Glynn isn't terrible and I imagine he'll get better. Plus possible contributions from Gill, Nana, and Roby from deep. 

My hope is that with the maturation of Glynn and addition of Palmer we won't have a huge drop off in our back court (I know it's unlikely we will be as good as the Tai/ Sophomore Glynn duo).

But with a stacked front court (yes I think Ed, MJ, and Jordy deserve the adjective "stacked" when describing them) and more play makers on the wing  I can see us being so formidable 1-5 where they won't be able to smother our gaurds like opponents are this year.

21 hours ago, bobcat402 said:

So I was at the arena early yesterday ( I work event security part time) and I caught some of warmups, thought I'd share my musings:

-Palmer is a big guard, and will be a great slasher for us, good luck stepping in front of him, think he shall not be named if he could dribble

-roby like MJ has pretty form, I'd almost wish they'd shorten his jump though ala what Tai has done.

-I love mcveigh pregame routine it's no nonsense, and very repeatable, and his shots are all things he'd do in game 

- finally a walk on caught my eye, Mohammed Elradi has Ray Allen type quickness in his shot release, one of the quickest I've ever seen and he is a bit of. Dead eye shooter, one too keep your eye on if you looking for the next Velander 

Any Paul Velander reference MUST be acknowledged...

On 2/10/2017 at 8:06 PM, khoock said:

I don't think we necessarily need him to shoot at that guys clip. We will have Jack and Horne.

We really do. With all due respect to McVeigh or Horne does either seem good enough at this point to be the best shooter for a good team? We need more shooters, especially some elite ones.

41 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

We really do. With all due respect to McVeigh or Horne does either seem good enough at this point to be the best shooter for a good team? We need more shooters, especially some elite ones.

I think with another season under their belts they can both be close. Both have been lights out shooters when they are on. Consistency seems to be the key, which is common for underclassmen.

But I guess wouldn't classify them as elite 3pt shooters. 

Agree with Dimes, we need shooters. We need Palmer or Gill to be a legit shooting guard who can knock down shots contested or not. If we find that we should be pretty damn good next year. Think Copeland will be a much needed shooter as well at the 3-4. Will be nice to have depth and competition every day in practice for PT

If the kid from Elkhorn MM plays we are in huge trouble, he is not a consistent shooter at all from what I have heard. Very good athlete though but he is not going to play. Realistically non of the walk ons should be playing with the depth we are lining up. 

12 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Agree with Dimes, we need shooters. We need Palmer or Gill to be a legit shooting guard who can knock down shots contested or not. If we find that we should be pretty damn good next year. Think Copeland will be a much needed shooter as well at the 3-4. Will be nice to have depth and competition every day in practice for PT

If the kid from Elkhorn MM plays we are in huge trouble, he is not a consistent shooter at all from what I have heard. Very good athlete though but he is not going to play. Realistically non of the walk ons should be playing with the depth we are lining up. 

...or maybe they should all play. Especially at the end of games.

:ph34r:

Edited by uneblinstu

12 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I believe that is where Nana Akenten comes into the fold next year. The kid can flat out play, and should contribute with how well he can shoot. Just might sneak his way into the final rivals 150 as well

2 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

or Gill to be a legit shooting guard

Depends on what you're looking for in a shooting guard. I think Gill can be a scorer for us if he can get his legs back. I think he's a lot more like Tai in the sense that he's probably better going to the rim with 1/4 to 1/3 of his shots coming from long range. I really haven't seen any evidence he's capable of being a consistent 3pt shooter.

Do not have to be great 40%+ but I think we need someone who is consistent and I am not confident Gill can be that guy either. Unfortunately I am not confident he will get his explosiveness back either, hopefully I am wrong and he gets back 100%. That is why I am hoping Palmer is legit or Nana is able to contribute from the jump.

I have always thought Tai is more of PG, just not consistent enough jumper