Those refs had no clue where they even were

ajb5856

Even Mike Riley was shocked by how bad the refs were and I am sure he has seen some terrible calls in his career.

Difference seemed our fouls led to free throws or a turnover. Then they would make some random call for us that had no impact on the game at all. We were calling it all night, crazy

That being said, make a free throw, do not have D error in crucial situations and we still win. I was also pissed we kept going to Tai when he was not on. I love Tai but we needed Glynn to take some of those shots IMO

Art V. is is spot on. On many occasions, Wiscy got their calls on plays which led to free throws or which were momentum changing plays. What bugged me last night (and really I have noticed this all year) is that so many times, the ref standing right in front of the play made no call, only to have another ref standing 30 feet away blow the whistle. Just so gut wrenching.... 

Even Mike Riley was shocked by how bad the refs were and I am sure he has seen some terrible calls in his career.

Difference seemed our fouls led to free throws or a turnover. Then they would make some random call for us that had no impact on the game at all. We were calling it all night, crazy

That being said, make a free throw, do not have D error in crucial situations and we still win. I was also pissed we kept going to Tai when he was not on. I love Tai but we needed Glynn to take some of those shots IMO

Miles said in his post game comment s chat glynn didn't want to have the ball in crunch time, so that must be why Tai got the amount he did.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Part of the problem with the officiating, besides it just being inconsistent, was that it absolutely prevented game flow.  Nevermind the horrible calls that went both ways.  I don't go to hoops games for the refs.  The less I notice the officiating the better.  But the reason the crowd booed when the Wisconsin kid (think it was Pretzel) picked up a foul (clear make-up call for the mysterious foul against Glynn on the other end, IIRC) was that it destroyed the flow of the game.

SWALLOW YOUR WHISTLES, REFS!  THE GAME IS NOT ABOUT YOU!

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Absolutely not. But the refs don't (in most cases) affect turnover margins, shooting percentages, etc. I'm surprised we were able to keep this game close and I think it's more of a testimont to the team for keeping this game close despite the fact we didn't have a lead until 5 minutes to go in the 2nd half. Our team needs to control what they can and they did that by shooting better than Wisconsin, but they shot themselves in the foot with an unbelievable amount of turnovers. All that, without the help of zebras with whistles.

Sorry, but they sure as hell can affect turnover margin and shooting percentage. If raking the arm isn't called and getting bumped on the way to the rim isn't called, among other things, it directly affects those stats. Not that this was necessarily a factor last night - although to my biased eye it was - but I've seen officiating decide more than a few games in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Absolutely not. But the refs don't (in most cases) affect turnover margins, shooting percentages, etc. I'm surprised we were able to keep this game close and I think it's more of a testimont to the team for keeping this game close despite the fact we didn't have a lead until 5 minutes to go in the 2nd half. Our team needs to control what they can and they did that by shooting better than Wisconsin, but they shot themselves in the foot with an unbelievable amount of turnovers. All that, without the help of zebras with whistles.

I disagree with your premise...Officials absolutely affect turnover margins and shooting percentages.

if they allow one team to grab arms, foul etc...turnovers will happen and shots will be missed.

I think at least two or three turnovers by Jack were a direct result of Wisconsin getting away with a foul.

There is nothing more frustrating to see a team get away with a violation or a foul that directly causes a violation, foul or turnover by the opposing team..

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Miles said in his post game comment s chat glynn didn't want to have the ball in crunch time, so that must be why Tai got the amount he did.

What?!?  Really hope Tim misspoke or you misheard.  Because Glynn is going to be expected to carry a huge load next year, especially at end of games.

27 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

What?!?  Really hope Tim misspoke or you misheard.  Because Glynn is going to be expected to carry a huge load next year, especially at end of games.

Heard the same thing.. I think Glynn is hurt more than we know.. He didn't much last night and all or most of his shots where from  the three throw line area.

Go listen to his post game with Kent. Miles was asked if Glynn was in the conversation about who should get the shots, when miles asked Glynn about handling some of the shots Glynn passed. So I suppose that with his injury, he didn't feel comfortable taking g the shots.

6 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

I disagree with your premise...Officials absolutely affect turnover margins and shooting percentages.

if they allow one team to grab arms, foul etc...turnovers will happen and shots will be missed.

I think at least two or three turnovers by Jack were a direct result of Wisconsin getting away with a foul.

There is nothing more frustrating to see a team get away with a violation or a foul that directly causes a violation, foul or turnover by the opposing team..

My point being that even if the officials accounted for, let's say, five of those turnover/foul calls, that's still 16 in regulation that we committed on our own doing.

21 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

My point being that even if the officials accounted for, let's say, five of those turnover/foul calls, that's still 16 in regulation that we committed on our own doing.

Sure, but that's right at our season average. If they convert of just two of those, it dramatically impacts the game. Heck, just one does!

As much as I was upset with some of the calls in this (and many other games) it was our failure to execute that cost us this game.  It was not the refs, it was not the coaches that turned the ball over 20+ times.  It was not the refs or the crowd or the coaches that missed free throws and numerous bunnies (contested or not). 

I watched the warm ups like I do at every home game.  I watch the coaches with the bigs.  I watch interior passes, and with perfect form (and without an attempted power dribble) they power the ball to the basket.  I just struggle understand...sorry just venting a bit.

16 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I hate the "make up" call and I hate the so called "Euro-step". It's traveling.   Last night was a poorly officiated game.

The Euro step just looks funny. No stats to back it up, but I'd bet there's far less traveling than on a regular layup. The extra step on a regular layup is quick, while on a Euro it's so much more noticeable. It's one step to left, one to right and up. (or vice versa) Hard to do a third slow-motion step without it being called. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lk6-vgNGZM

21 hours ago, huskercwg said:

As much as I was upset with some of the calls in this (and many other games) it was our failure to execute that cost us this game.  It was not the refs, it was not the coaches that turned the ball over 20+ times.  It was not the refs or the crowd or the coaches that missed free throws and numerous bunnies (contested or not). 

I watched the warm ups like I do at every home game.  I watch the coaches with the bigs.  I watch interior passes, and with perfect form (and without an attempted power dribble) they power the ball to the basket.  I just struggle understand...sorry just venting a bit.

Failure to execute. Sure, if we hadn't failed to execute on one occurrence we win the game. If we screw up one less time then we win the game. The coachspeak always blame yourself and ask yourself what you could've done differently attitude. Control what you can control. I get it. That's the proper attitude for coaches and players so they can improve. But as fans we know that it's just not true. Failure to execute is what cost us the game? Of course you can always execute better and flip the outcome. But we could've executed just as we did (poorly) and still won if a couple calls are flipped.

2 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

Failure to execute. Sure, if we hadn't failed to execute on one occurrence we win the game. If we screw up one less time then we win the game. The coachspeak always blame yourself and ask yourself what you could've done differently attitude. Control what you can control. I get it. That's the proper attitude for coaches and players so they can improve. But as fans we know that it's just not true. Failure to execute is what cost us the game? Of course you can always execute better and flip the outcome. But we could've executed just as we did (poorly) and still won if a couple calls are flipped.

In the press conference before the Wisky game, both Coach Miles and MJ provided the same message...the first thing they need to do is not beat ourselves.  There were multiple factors why we stayed in the game, and multiple reasons we lost.  But the frustrating part for me was the missed opportunities.  It was the 21 turnovers, it was the 13 turnovers inside the paint, it was the 7 missed lay ups, it was shooting 63% from the free throw line, and yes, there were some horrible calls. 

We can control the turn overs, the free throw shooting, the missed open looks and the missed bunnies.  We cannot control the calls. 

That said, we each have things that frustrate us...and most can be resolved once we start winning these close games. 

I love this team, and I really think we have a good coaching staff.  Good things may still happen this year, and I truly believe great things are around the corner.

To be fair, some of those turnovers would've been fouls if that happened on the other end of the floor. We got stripped inside a lot and those strips resulted in turnovers but the same play at the other end would've been called a reach in foul.   At least three of Isaiah Roby's fouls would've been turnovers against Wisconsin if the jerseys had been reversed. 

On 2/10/2017 at 10:18 AM, Blindcheck said:

Honestly I was more pissed about the 3 absolutely clean blocks that for some reason put Wisconsin at the line for 5 extra points.

5 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Honestly I was more pissed about the 3 absolutely clean blocks that for some reason put Wisconsin at the line for 5 extra points.

It's almost like we failed to execute on those plays. And we can't control the refs but only ourselves so we should've either just allowed the layups/dunks or just accepted the bad calls.

On 2/11/2017 at 8:52 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

The Euro step just looks funny. No stats to back it up, but I'd bet there's far less traveling than on a regular layup. The extra step on a regular layup is quick, while on a Euro it's so much more noticeable. It's one step to left, one to right and up. (or vice versa) Hard to do a third slow-motion step without it being called. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lk6-vgNGZM

The Euro Step is legal...however, often guys gather the ball to quickly and get an extra step..which is a travel.

When executed the Euro step is legal...but often players gather the ball where it becomes a travel when they take the steps.

A lot of the times, a player gathers with a foot off the floor and officials allow two steps (that is illegal, because the foot on the floor is the pivot foot and it cannot be picked up off the floor and put back down without shooting or passing) 

A legal Euro Step is when they gather with both fee in the air and the first foot that lands becomes the pivot foot which allows the two steps....

In the Video above, mulitple times the players are travelling and it is not called because of the speed of the move, but the players are often gathering the ball with the front foot in the air and the back foot still on the ground....

Rules Below:

. . . A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:

1. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands:
    1. Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.
    2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.

3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

2. If one foot is on the floor:
    1. It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.
    2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.