Just How Good Are We, Really?

hal9000

12 hours ago, huskercwg said:

It was interesting listening to the presser today.  One example of good information was the discussion around MJ's outside shot.  I have been telling those willing to listen that he was a very good exterior shooter.  Today the discussion centered on MJ bulking up in order to bang in the paint.  As a result, his outside shot left him.  It is something he will really work on during the off season. 

I think we saw the dividends of MJ's weight training during the Purdue game, especially late when we needed him to go one on one against Swanigan. 

@formerlybis I think you and your buckyville buddies are a little (maybe a lot) too worried about the game tonight.

I think this game, and on the road at MSU, are the most likely L's on the remaining schedule.

FWIW, KenPom says this is only the fourth most likely loss remaining on your schedule...

Thu Feb 9   99 Nebraska W, 68-60 62 77% Away   × b.gif
Sun Feb 12   31 Northwestern W, 67-57 60 80% Home   × b.gif
Thu Feb 16   30 Michigan W, 63-62 56 54% Away   × a.gif
Sun Feb 19   37 Maryland W, 69-59 62 82% Home   × b.gif
Thu Feb 23   60 Ohio St. W, 68-63 62 68% Away   × a.gif
Sun Feb 26   57 Michigan St. W, 65-60 61 66% Away   × a.gif
Thu Mar 2   74 Iowa W, 78-63 66 91% Home   ×  
Sun Mar 5   38 Minnesota W, 68-58 63 82% Home   × b.gif

57 minutes ago, 49r said:

@formerlybis I think you and your buckyville buddies are a little (maybe a lot) too worried about the game tonight.

FWIW, KenPom says this is only the fourth most likely loss remaining on your schedule...

Thu Feb 9   99 Nebraska W, 68-60 62 77% Away   × b.gif
Sun Feb 12   31 Northwestern W, 67-57 60 80% Home   × b.gif
Thu Feb 16   30 Michigan W, 63-62 56 54% Away   × a.gif
Sun Feb 19   37 Maryland W, 69-59 62 82% Home   × b.gif
Thu Feb 23   60 Ohio St. W, 68-63 62 68% Away   × a.gif
Sun Feb 26   57 Michigan St. W, 65-60 61 66% Away   × a.gif
Thu Mar 2   74 Iowa W, 78-63 66 91% Home   ×  
Sun Mar 5   38 Minnesota W, 68-58 63 82% Home   × b.gif

What you're seeing, despite the statistics, is a healthy respect for what Nebraska has been able to do against Wisconsin. You beat UW in the last game of the regular season in your first season at the new arena, which was also one of the years UW made the final four - we were a great team that year, and your beating us in that game was not fluky. The other game you beat us was in last year's BTT - maybe a bit more of a poor showing on our part in that one, but the vast majority of conference opponents haven't been able to pull those types of games out against us. You also beat Purdue this year who we got outclassed by - granted our game was in WL, but PU's had our number for awhile. Lastly, UW's last few games were unimpressive on the offensive side - haven't been hitting on all cylinders for awhile now.

So, I'm gonna have to go ahead, and, um, disagree with ya there. There is some reason for concern.

4 hours ago, colhusker said:

Been telling CH-JR and CH-III I thought a big part of MJ's struggles shooting was the extra bulk from the start of the season.

He also misses when he falls back as he shoots.  If he stays ramrod straight, or at least jumps in the same spot he is a preety good shooter.But for some reason he falls back on his jumper when nobody is gaurding him and it often hits off the rim either front or back.

50 minutes ago, formerlybis said:

What you're seeing, despite the statistics, is a healthy respect for what Nebraska has been able to do against Wisconsin. You beat UW in the last game of the regular season in your first season at the new arena, which was also one of the years UW made the final four - we were a great team that year, and your beating us in that game was not fluky. The other game you beat us was in last year's BTT - maybe a bit more of a poor showing on our part in that one, but the vast majority of conference opponents haven't been able to pull those types of games out against us. You also beat Purdue this year who we got outclassed by - granted our game was in WL, but PU's had our number for awhile. Lastly, UW's last few games were unimpressive on the offensive side - haven't been hitting on all cylinders for awhile now.

So, I'm gonna have to go ahead, and, um, disagree with ya there. There is some reason for concern.

Counterpoint...we lost to Rutgers...

49 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

He also misses when he falls back as he shoots.  If he stays ramrod straight, or at least jumps in the same spot he is a preety good shooter.But for some reason he falls back on his jumper when nobody is gaurding him and it often hits off the rim either front or back.

Watch Webster, he does the same thing. When he steps into his shots he does well.

1 hour ago, formerlybis said:

Well as have the previous few teams we have played your shooting should turnaround against us!!!!!

I don't think a team with a top 10 KenPom and AP ranking is going to be (or even should be) too worried about Nebraska...I'm sorry, not buying the buckyville hand-wringing.  If we were at full strength then yeah maybe they would have to put max effort into beating us.  But in our current state, no.