How does next season end (assuming Miles is retained)?

PimpMario

How does next season end (assuming Miles is retained)?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How does next season end (assuming Miles is retained)?

• Another sub .500 year
    • Eek out .500 or better and go to NIT
    • NCAA tournament (possibly winning a game)

Anything now is speculation and nothing is guaranteed - but I would be more optimistic going into next season than possibly any season since Nee was the coach.  Possible exception for one or two Collier years when I thought we would be better than things turned out those seasons.

Biggest unknown that is critical would be keeping Morrow and Watson both healthy all season.

well, miles should win the "hot mid major coach" duel against Groce at least. Riff Raff's almost certainly gone after this season.

Good shot at the tourney next year, but some things will have to break right for that to happen. I think short of that, Timmeh's likely gone.

Since i like the guy, I'll pick tourney.

Keys to next year - really pretty simple and well discussed.

1. Keep all the key underclass man in Lincoln.

2. Find a way to keep Ed Morrow healthy

3. Hope Jordy improves as much next year as he has this year.  What a pleasant surprise.

4. McVeigh and Horne improve their outside shot. Hope the new kid is as good a shooter as billed.

5. Figure out how to defend the three.  What is being drawn up right now is NOT working.

Predicting Nebrasketball at this point is next to impossible. I think Miles is on the hot seat in the sense that next year has to be a tournament team (or at least a near miss on selection Sunday). I think next year's ceiling is winning a tournament game. Really wish we would have redshirted Tai right about now. 

Edit: Redshirted Tai as a freshman, not this past season, just in case someone wants to be a smartass.

Edited by The Polish Rifle

Hate to be a negative Nancy, but I don't see us making any huge leaps and bounds next year. The elite teams will still be significantly more talented than us, and we aren't exactly dominating the middle and lower tier teams (who are just as youthful as us and will significantly improve their talent and experience next year, same as us). I would love to eat crow, but I don't see how next year is going to be any different than this year. Prove me wrong Tim.

Edited by TomEadesSucks

I'm curious where people think we'd be now, this year, if ...

1.  AWIII had stayed in Lincoln;

2.  Ed Morrow had remained healthy all season;

3.  No injuries to Watson or Gill.

In other words, if the players we had and were supposed to continue to have had remained on the team and healthy for the schedule we had this year.  That's not some pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking like, "hey, if we could pull our best player from the last 20 years and put him on the roster" kinda stuff.  Injuries tend to be unlucky breaks and, well, White was in the fold and on the roster when this schedule was laid out.

My guess is that if the above three things had been the case this year, the part in the OP about "assuming Miles is retained" would be moot because it wouldn't even be a question.

I figure a healthy Ed and we'd have won at least 3 more games over the last 7 games he's been out or hobbled (I think he played hurt at home against NWU.)  Add in a shooter like AWIII and I think we'd be on the right side of the bubble discussion this year.  Kinda sad because we'll never know how good this team could have been this year.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

In other words, if the players we had and were supposed to continue to have had remained on the team and healthy for the schedule we had this year.  That's not some pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking like, "hey, if we could pull our best player from the last 20 years and put him on the roster" kinda stuff.  Injuries tend to be unlucky breaks and, well, White was in the fold and on the roster when this schedule was laid out.

My guess is that if the above three things had been the case this year, the part in the OP about "assuming Miles is retained" would be moot because it wouldn't even be a question.

I figure a healthy Ed and we'd have won at least 3 more games over the last 7 games he's been out or hobbled (I think he played hurt at home against NWU.)  Add in a shooter like AWIII and I think we'd be on the right side of the bubble discussion this year.  Kinda sad because we'll never know how good this team could have been this year.

This is where I'm at. I know some will say this is excuse making, but it's also reality. Margin for error in college hoops and the Big Ten is extremely thin this year - these types of injuries will tilt the balance. Especially the Morrow one, as it really came at a time when the team was filled with confidence.

It's so thin that if we just come up with 1 defensive rebound vs both Rutg and OSU, we're 6-5 in the B1G and still very much in the NIT discussion. Two plays that if Ed is healthy, maybe we make.

Yes there are problems. But there also have been enough glimpses this season of what this team can be -- even with all of these injuries -- that I think next year can be a really good one. Guys are going to have to work/improve in the off season, and we're going to need guys like Gill & Morrow to get healthy, so there are no guarantees. But I really like the roster the coaches have put together for 2017-18. We'll see if it pays off.

And I'd feel even more confident if we can find some shoes that fit for next season. Just sayin'.

Edited by throwback

16 hours ago, tcp said:

well, miles should win the "hot mid major coach" duel against Groce at least. Riff Raff's almost certainly gone after this season.

Good shot at the tourney next year, but some things will have to break right for that to happen. I think short of that, Timmeh's likely gone.

Since i like the guy, I'll pick tourney.

Speaking of Illinois and Groce, do you suppose they're getting set to enter the Fred Hoiberg lottery?  I would assume that the likely schools that may be in it for him include:

-Illinois

-Missouri

-Indiana

-Kansas State (although the win over Baylor has cooled any fire Bruce talk for now it seems)

If, for whatever reason Miles isn't retained, would we have a legit shot at Hoiberg?  Should we be in the running for him considering his ties to Lincoln?

Just now, 49r said:

Speaking of Illinois and Groce, do you suppose they're getting set to enter the Fred Hoiberg lottery?  I would assume that the likely schools that may be in it for him include:

-Illinois

-Missouri

-Indiana

-Kansas State (although the win over Baylor has cooled any fire Bruce talk for now it seems)

If, for whatever reason Miles isn't retained, would we have a legit shot at Hoiberg?  Should we be in the running for him considering his ties to Lincoln?

Personally I think if we decide to part ways with Miles its because we feel we have a great shot at him.   I don't think Miles gets fired if there isn't a real plan in place.   In fact, I'd venture to say we'd know Hoiberg's interest before a final decision is made

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Conversely, if you'd  told me in May that Andrew White the Turd was going to transfer, Roby was going to have lingering injury issues and average 3 points, Morrow would miss every game after the first week of January, and Gill would miss the whole conference season, I'd had thought we were looking at 9-22 or 10-21 as a final record.

As an aside, everyone who was excited about us getting down to the magic number of an eight man rotation after Gill got injured should remember, be careful what you wish for (the 8 man rotation, that is). Did logging too many minutes contribute to the Morrow and Watson injuries? More than likely. Would Webster be more effective right now if he'd had been playing 32 minutes instead of 39? More than likely.

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

Personally I think if we decide to part ways with Miles its because we feel we have a great shot at him.   I don't think Miles gets fired if there isn't a real plan in place.   In fact, I'd venture to say we'd know Hoiberg's interest before a final decision is made

Agreed, but they'd better be damn sure that he was interested. The worst decision in the history of this program was to fire Danny Nee with the intention of getting Bill Self, and ending up with Barry Collier.