How does next season end (assuming Miles is retained)?

PimpMario

How does next season end (assuming Miles is retained)?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How does next season end (assuming Miles is retained)?

• Another sub .500 year
    • Eek out .500 or better and go to NIT
    • NCAA tournament (possibly winning a game)

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm curious where people think we'd be now, this year, if ...

1.  AWIII had stayed in Lincoln;

2.  Ed Morrow had remained healthy all season;

3.  No injuries to Watson or Gill.

In other words, if the players we had and were supposed to continue to have had remained on the team and healthy for the schedule we had this year.  That's not some pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking like, "hey, if we could pull our best player from the last 20 years and put him on the roster" kinda stuff.  Injuries tend to be unlucky breaks and, well, White was in the fold and on the roster when this schedule was laid out.

My guess is that if the above three things had been the case this year, the part in the OP about "assuming Miles is retained" would be moot because it wouldn't even be a question.

I figure a healthy Ed and we'd have won at least 3 more games over the last 7 games he's been out or hobbled (I think he played hurt at home against NWU.)  Add in a shooter like AWIII and I think we'd be on the right side of the bubble discussion this year.  Kinda sad because we'll never know how good this team could have been this year.

I absolutely agree and think we are a tournament team this year just having a healthy Ed and if Andrew did not leave.

19 hours ago, NeeandMe said:

Tourney is definitely realistic, although a subpar season is also extremely realistic.  I love Miles.  I think next year has to be the year or he's gone.  Since I want him to stay, I'll pick the dance.

The year after next is 'for sure' the season that Miles has to "make it" or Shawn breaks apart the Timmy fascination in Lincoln. That's the Glynn/Eddie/MJ/McTrey senior year.

It would be be very disappointing to not make the NCAA next year. We've been raving about the (currrent) sophomore class for two years, and I'm not willing to accept something less. If they don't make the tourney next year, then basically we'd be getting one NCAA bid out of best class in a long time. Not good enough.

That being said, I'm not discouraged by the current growing pains. But it has to come together next year. 

3 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

The year after next is 'for sure' the season that Miles has to "make it" or Shawn breaks apart the Timmy fascination in Lincoln. That's the Glynn/Eddie/MJ/McTrey senior year.

I can definitely see where you're coming from.  Honestly, though, with that class having played as many minutes as they have and as highly touted as they've been, their Junior year is more than enough time; they'll be as seasoned as most seniors.  Add in a few transfers with experience as well and I don't think he'd survive a miss next year.

14 hours ago, NeeandMe said:

I can definitely see where you're coming from.  Honestly, though, with that class having played as many minutes as they have and as highly touted as they've been, their Junior year is more than enough time; they'll be as seasoned as most seniors.  Add in a few transfers with experience as well and I don't think he'd survive a miss next year.

I think gelling with all that Jr & underclassmen talent will be key for the Sr class with Glynn et al. That's 2019 where the rubber meets the road.

Edited by AuroranHusker
*For clarity*

On 2/6/2017 at 11:15 AM, 49r said:

Speaking of Illinois and Groce, do you suppose they're getting set to enter the Fred Hoiberg lottery?  I would assume that the likely schools that may be in it for him include:

-Illinois

-Missouri

-Indiana

-Kansas State (although the win over Baylor has cooled any fire Bruce talk for now it seems)

If, for whatever reason Miles isn't retained, would we have a legit shot at Hoiberg?  Should we be in the running for him considering his ties to Lincoln?

Intriguing possibility, but I have to think Hoiberg's not done with the NBA yet. NBA hot seats are weird and persistent. But if he is let go, I think his rep will keep him in the league for awhile.

As strange as this sounds, I think if we do make a change, we might have the successor sitting on our bench already. And it's not Molinari...:)

Just now, tcp said:

Intriguing possibility, but I have to think Hoiberg's not done with the NBA yet. NBA hot seats are weird and persistent. But if he is let go, I think his rep will keep him in the league for awhile.

As strange as this sounds, I think if we do make a change, we might have the successor sitting on our bench already. And it's not Molinari...:)

...that's never how it works...

Just now, uneblinstu said:

...that's never how it works...

It's rare, but it's not never. Bibby's case at Cal State LA (?) comes to mind, but obviously a much smaller school.

Obviously the cases where assistants get elevated are when the head coach leaves on better terms, such as getting a promotion themselves or retiring or resigning.

Continuity, however, was generally the goal there.

But this staff isn't typical. It's not a "package staff" that goes where the HC does. Not anymore, at least. And there's a couple of legitimate candidates as replacements in the event we struggle to find someone to take the job that's acceptable. And making the case more interesting is if Miles is terminated when his talented players are still here.

I think this discussion is mostly academic anyway, but I think your point is more right than mine probably is. I think this team succeeds next year and the program finally turns the corner.

Not that I want to consider Coach Miles getting fired at the end of the year, but TCP's point is a good one. There actually have been quite a few cases where an interim coach was picked from the prior staff  and the interim did well enough to be named the permanent head guy. Usually, that occurs when the head guy moves on to another job voluntarily but not always.   Bill Frieder at Michigan is an example of the former and the Davis guy who replaced Bobby Knight at Indiana an example of the latter.   OK, so the thing in Michigan worked out better than the one in Indiana.   But still, point remains. 

Edited by Norm Peterson