uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 23 - Iowa

uneblinstu

Just got back from the game. Carver-Hawkeye is a really great place to watch a game. Great set up, they've maintained it well. It's in the Bramledge/Hearns Center/Coors Event Center mold. The building was about 75% full. And the next time anyone complains about the atmosphere at PBA, CHA wasn't better. They didn't make any noise at all the first half. There were really only two possessions where they made any noise at all and both were when Iowa was up 6 or more. So, spare me any more "It's not like this at other places" critique of PBA. I think most places are like that, honestly. They used some pyrotechnics for the Iowa player introductions, which was cool and all, but beyond that, it's a better production here. The crowd was fairly uninterested in the Nebraska intros. There were maybe 100 students that added "sucks" after the PA guy announced the Husker players. Frankly, that's a lot ruder than what we do at PBA. I do wonder what it's like when they have  what they perceive as a "big" game. They (the crowd) didn't act like they thought it was a big game.

Notes:

- Congrats to Tai for notching his 1000th point! That's a huge accomplishment. Fewer than 30 players in the history of the program have done that.

- Man, the foul trouble with Jordy and Jacobson really hampered NU's effort.

- Thought Jordy played well on the offensive end. He's really rounding into an outstanding player. Iowa really struggled to slow him down. He might have had a huge game if not for the foul trouble.

- It was really unfortunate when he picked up his 3rd. Miles wanted to put in Jacobson, but he was getting some work done with the trainer. In that 30 seconds of game play, Jordy picked up his 3rd. That really hurt.

- Thought Jack had perhaps his best game as a Husker.

- The 3 pointer is the bane of Nebrasketball's existence.

- Glynn's gotta be hurting.

- Roby, man, he's gonna burst out of that bubble soon. It's right there on the cusp. He's gotta get tougher, though. Can't play afraid of diving a loose ball. He's not the only one, but it stands out with him. He's got all the talent and potential in the world. Once the mental side of the game clicks for him, he's gonna be great.

- Every time out, every single one, I feel like we get a tantalizing taste of what this team could be. It's a different guy each night, it seems, but, like I said with Roby, once it clicks for them as a group, it's gonna be fun. The waiting is the hardest part.

Alright, I'm tired. It's been a long day. I'm turning in. Keep the faith, Nebrasketball fans.

Edited by uneblinstu

Hard to win when our big three (Ed - DNP, Glynn - groin with limited success, Tai - decent but not a great day) were not at the top of their games.  I mentioned in the first half, and it came to fruition in the second half, we ran out of steam. 

Jordy is progressing.  Needs to learn to stay away from the cheap fouls.

MJ did a good job on the offensive boards, his shot needs to improve.  He has good form, but poor results. 

Jack did well, but ran out of steam.

Jeriah was decent, not great

Isiah has talent, but next year is when it will likely start to shine through.

Nick once again gave decent minutes but...

So when you look at it as a body-as-a-whole, we were sort of gritty and we hung tough despite not playing at the highest level.  Frustration continues to be the word of the day.

Our inability to stop the 3 pointers was rough, but we got killed worse inside I feel.  With our injuries, plus our foul situation, they got many points in the paint that wouldn't happen with Ed. It sort of reminded me of the Michigan game. Once Iowa got the lead, we could get close but never over the hump. I so badly want to see a healthy Morrow back. Now with Watson hurting as well, I'm really nervous about the remainder of the season. Here's to hoping we get everyone healthy, stay in the top 10 to avoid the Wednesday games, and make a run in the conference tournament.  As always, GBR!!

Edited by jason2486

I thought the effort was great and execution was pretty good.  We lost because we didn't have two of our three best players (Ed, Glynn).  I would argue the same thing I've argued before:  if we can field a healthy B1G Tournament roster, watch out.  We'll be the team no one wants to face.  Glad to see another great night of experience under Jordy's belt.  Kid is a force.  

I don't understand why our shoes don't fit.

I know it looked silly and this sounds silly, but that was a big play. We had just cut it to 1 pt, but Jack can't play defense with one shoe, and Iowa ends up getting a 3 on that possession against him. If we get a stop there instead, now we have a chance to take the lead, which would've been a huge emotional lift in a 2nd half where we were always fighting from behind. Not saying a lost shoe cost us the game, but it was a key play.

In hindsight, coach should have had taken a time out there, but he probably was thinking like me that Jack would've been able to get the shoe back on by the time we set up on defense. Apparently it doesn't go back on as easily as it pops off.

Sigh. 

Edited by throwback

22 minutes ago, throwback said:

In hindsight, coach should have had taken a time out there, but he probably was thinking like me that Jack would've been able to get the shoe back on by the time we set up on defense. Apparently it doesn't go back on as easily as it pops off.

Watched the replays a few times.

Miles was in the corner.  I'm not sure he saw it. I don't know if the staff saw it either laying there on the Hawkeye logo.

Maybe it was assumed that the refs would call a timeout there?  Seems like doing so would be an advantage to us when it's our fault our shoes fly off so I could understand why they'd let things play on.

ceb02419dc.gif

18 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Hard to watch us go toe to toe with these clowns for virtually the WHOLE game, and then spit the bit down the stretch. Hopefully the effort we're layin' out there will start paying off in the form of Ws.

That was unfortunate. Threes... you live by 'em & you die by 'em. Iowa lived on 'em, and Nebrasketball died.

3 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

I don't understand the thought behind playing Glynn sparingly. If he's healthy enough to play, play him normal and give us a chance to win. If he's not, sit him completely and rest him for the next one to prevent further damaging anything if he's not fully healed. One or the other.

He could go in short bursts. That Glynn even was able to play 18 minutes is remarkable. To go from 34 points and 7-8 on threes to only have 3 points on 3-4 FTs is also remarkable, the fact that Nebrasketball wasn't involved in a blow-out situation!!!

Game notes

*-Jack McVeigh posted his fifth double-figure effort of the season and third in the last five games with 16 points, including 12 in the first half. 
*-Jordy Tshimanga reached double figures for the second time this week and third time this season with 10 points  and eight rebounds in just 17 minutes. 
*-Tai Webster became the 28th player in school history to reach 1,000 career points, as he had 14 points today. He has now been in double figures in 24 straight games dating back to last season.
*-Nebraska’s 3-of-20 from 3-poin range was its second-lowest total of the season.
*-Nebraska out-rebounded Iowa by eight today after being out-rebounded by nine in the first meeting on Jan. 5.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Watched the replays a few times.

Miles was in the corner.  I'm not sure he saw it. I don't know if the staff saw it either laying there on the Hawkeye logo.

Maybe it was assumed that the refs would call a timeout there?  Seems like doing so would be an advantage to us when it's our fault our shoes fly off so I could understand why they'd let things play on.

ceb02419dc.gif

The Refs needed to call an officials time out after Jordy made the basket,  They have to treat that like an injury!

This games officiating got me pretty hot.  even hotter than normal

3 plays stand out...

1.  The shoe

2.  Tshimanga's 4th foul was absolutely uncalled for and as most 4th fouls do... affects the defense you can provide

3.  Jacobson's 4th foul when he was running the court and Bohannon basically cuts him off...

Those calls can't happen and were pivotal in Iowa's win.  If I was Tim Miles I would be bringing all 3 of those calls up the latter.  I don't even want to hear about it being a 2 man crew bull crap excuse either.  Those were absolutely TERRIBLE calls!

Edited by big red22

15 minutes ago, big red22 said:

The Refs needed to call an officials time out after Jordy made the basket,  They have to treat that like an injury!

Does the rule book treat it like an injury? I honestly don't know. When the same thing happened to Glynn they didn't stop play. He did throw it out of bounds, though, so perhaps that's the difference.